What's new

Arnsberg "Abusive", "Bordering on Violent"

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
from an AP article:
While Torborg took the news with typical grace, Arnsberg became angry when told he was fired. Beinfest said he and owner Jeffrey Loria went to the pitching coach's apartment late Saturday to inform him.

Arnsberg said the meeting lasted 90 seconds but declined to say what he told Loria and Beinfest.

``He was abusive and clearly unprofessional,'' Beinfest said. ``I would say he was bordering on violent.''

For that reason, Beinfest said, Arnsberg wasn't allowed in the stadium Sunday to collect his belongings.

Arnsberg said he wasn't shocked to be fired since there had been rumors he would be replaced.

``All I'll say is when one is so vindictive, they'll finally get their way,'' Arnsberg said. He wouldn't elaborate.

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
Again, makes me wonder why Arnsberg was fired and was he fired for personal or business reasons. You got to wonder why there are so many rumors and allegations and inuendos trying to depict the Marlins owner and front office as irresponsible and evil. I think this can be exagerated...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Probably a little of both. It may be that earlier in the year when Loria/Beinfest asked Torborg to get rid of Arnsberg, they were trying to place some of the blame on Arnsberg for the pitching injuries, which would also deflect blame away from Torborg.

When Torborg refused, it was probably only a matter of time for him to go.

I haven't been much of a fan of Brad Arnsberg since he got here. He hasn't improved any pitchers, except for maybe AJ last season. He also berates pitchers out on the mound frequently, which I doubt sits well with the players. I won't miss him. Some of the pitchers seemed to like him, but who knows. Based on his demeanor during his visits to the mound, it doesn't surprise me that he got "abusive" or whatever with Beinfest. The guy's a hothead.

Torborg was a nice guy and a class act. Does he deserve to be fired? No, probably not. Before the pitching injuries hit, the team was right at .500 which is really about as much as you could hope for from this team, despite Loria & Beinfest's ridiculous prediction of 90 wins this season. Asinine predictions like that are what gets coaches fired. The coach can only work with the players he's given. So I wouldn't say he deserved it, but it's a business. When a team's losing, the coach is the first to go.

Jeff Torborg wasn't going to lead this team to a world series, but I don't think there's a coach alive right now who could do it either. So in the end, maybe just a kick in the a** will do this group some good. Trader Jack is a good baseball guy & certainly knows the game. He did a hell of a job with Cincy a few years ago.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Brad also worked with clement in Spring Training last year and Clement was awsome last year. I feel He should have but they made the right choice in letting Jeff and son go.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Brad was a good pitching coach Penny adn AJ really liked him but all off our pitchers were getting hurt so Beinfest came to a conclusion that is was all Arnesberg's Fault.

I think that was stupid not letting him in for the Last time to get his Belongings... :angry

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think that was stupid not letting him in for the Last time to get his Belongings... :angry
if he is a "hothead"... you dont want him attacking anyone.....

let him go in on Monday when no one is there

Rich P

Muckdog
Reaction score
Personally, I would have LOVED to have seen Arnsberg pop any one of the Three Stooges (Loria, Samson, or Beinfest).

I also would have LOVED to find out who Loria, Corly, and Moe told Torborg's kid he was fired. If you think Arny would have went off on them..I could imagine how a kid who's a former pro wrestler would have torn them apart :)
Ah well, I can dream...

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Personally, I would have LOVED to have seen Arnsberg pop any one of the Three Stooges (Loria, Samson, or Beinfest).

I also would have LOVED to find out who Loria, Corly, and Moe told Torborg's kid he was fired. If you think Arny would have went off on them..I could imagine how a kid who's a former pro wrestler would have torn them apart :)
Ah well, I can dream...
nice to see that you love the Marlins :rolleyes:

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score

Ah well, I can dream...
nice to see that you love the Marlins :rolleyes: Good to see you back in Marlins colors.

Rich P

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just because I think that the Three Stooges have the combined IQ of a poppy-seed bagel, it doesn't mean that I still don't care about the team.

I still wear my Marlins jersey.
I still have a Marlins window sticker in my rear window.
I still plan on seeing the team on the road this season.
I still listen to Boog and Dave on the internet.

I just think that Jeff Loria is a dick. :)

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just because I think that the Three Stooges have the combined IQ of a poppy-seed bagel, it doesn't mean that I still don't care about the team.

I still wear my Marlins jersey.
I still have a Marlins window sticker in my rear window.
I still plan on seeing the team on the road this season.
I still listen to Boog and Dave on the internet.

I just think that Jeff Loria is a dick. :)
Dr.Evil and Mini-Me.. :mischief2

Oh yea and Beinfest is Goldmember :lol

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
Probably a little of both. It may be that earlier in the year when Loria/Beinfest asked Torborg to get rid of Arnsberg, they were trying to place some of the blame on Arnsberg for the pitching injuries, which would also deflect blame away from Torborg.

When Torborg refused, it was probably only a matter of time for him to go.

I haven't been much of a fan of Brad Arnsberg since he got here. He hasn't improved any pitchers, except for maybe AJ last season. He also berates pitchers out on the mound frequently, which I doubt sits well with the players. I won't miss him. Some of the pitchers seemed to like him, but who knows. Based on his demeanor during his visits to the mound, it doesn't surprise me that he got "abusive" or whatever with Beinfest. The guy's a hothead.

Torborg was a nice guy and a class act. Does he deserve to be fired? No, probably not. Before the pitching injuries hit, the team was right at .500 which is really about as much as you could hope for from this team, despite Loria & Beinfest's ridiculous prediction of 90 wins this season. Asinine predictions like that are what gets coaches fired. The coach can only work with the players he's given. So I wouldn't say he deserved it, but it's a business. When a team's losing, the coach is the first to go.

Jeff Torborg wasn't going to lead this team to a world series, but I don't think there's a coach alive right now who could do it either. So in the end, maybe just a kick in the a** will do this group some good. Trader Jack is a good baseball guy & certainly knows the game. He did a hell of a job with Cincy a few years ago.
I agree with your post there does seem to be some grey area about this firing that involves Arnsberg almost as much as it involves Torborg. But I am curious about Arnsberg, I thought he did a good job with our pitchers and the injury thing may have as much to do with off-season training and in-between start preparation as the pitch-count thing. If he is a hothead, and I admit I have not picked up on this - he could have hung himself in many ways. I am inclined to believe that may have been a reason to fire him, interesting idea Hotcorner.

Top Bottom