Year Averages Record Finish
2001 15,000 76-86 4th East
2002 10,000 75-87 4th East
2003 16,000 91-71 2nd East/WS
2004 22,091 83-79 3rd East
2005 22,792 83-79 3rd East
2006 14,384 78-84 4th East/Fire Sale
2007 18,813 14-15 3rd East

The attendance was steadily rising!!! We were climbing out of the cellar until the fire sale! What other professional franchise has treated there team and for that matter their fans like this? Any thoughts?

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Holy sh*t, I can't believe nobody realized this before. I bet if Jeff had this information he wouldn't have done the fire sale.

If only....

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Of course the attendance rose after the world series victory, that would happen
in every city. Those numbers still aren't very good, though. Until we have a
new stadium that assures the public the team ain't moving anywhere and
they start raising the payroll, the attendance will continue to be steadily
crappy.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
we have 2 world titles in 10 years, I mean how many other franchises outside of the Bronx can say that?????

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score
Averages and rankings for the NL East?? Why not make it even a little more appealing. Show us how our attendance ranks for any MLB city south of Orlando. Don't mention how cities you are comparing us to, just where we rank.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
we have 2 fire sales in 10 years, I mean how many other franchises outside of the Expos can say that?????

added for additional content needed

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
on a positive note attendance while pathetic is up , although i must admit by real disappoitment is the lack of attendance in sundays..... pathetic .....

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
damn Super Saturdays...even though I haven't been to one, I get the feeling people just come for the concert...I'd rather have 5000 baseball fans then 15000 El Gran Combo (who are they) fans

MrAndMrsFish

Mr. Minor League
Reaction score
damn Super Saturdays...even though I haven't been to one, I get the feeling people just come for the concert...I'd rather have 5000 baseball fans then 15000 El Gran Combo (who are they) fans

El Gran Combo is one of the greatest bands in Spanish Music history; They are great!!! And I will be there with my wife, my father and a bunch of other people. We are going to enjoy the game and the concert after

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score

El Gran Combo is one of the greatest bands in Spanish Music history; They are great!!! And I will be there with my wife, my father and a bunch of other people. We are going to enjoy the game and the concert after

I hope they sell alot of tickets then. The marlins/kansas combo last saturday only got 21,000.

Who are the marlins playing when el gran combo is there?

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score

This is not the case at all. I went to my first Super Saturday, and I have to say although the crowd was small, it is still a hardcore following that makes the games. They truly love baseball and the team.

SHUfishfan

Muckdog
Reaction score

I hope they sell alot of tickets then. The marlins/kansas combo last saturday only got 21,000.

Who are the marlins playing when el gran combo is there?
Mets so it should be a great crowd for that game.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
A couple things to consider:
- MLB's average attendance has been increasing every year since 2003. (2001 - 29881; 2002 - 28114; 2003 - 28051; 2004 - 30404; 2005 - 30599; 2006 - 31272)
- The 2004 figure was heavily supported by season ticket holders who signed up while celebrating the World Series
- The 2005 figure barely increased despite heavy investment in the club's on field product
- Following the season, the 2005 squad looked to be unsuitable to win a World Series title and there appeared little benefit to invest further
- Despite the small increases, we were still well below MLB-average
- The team had no promise of continued fan support, of a new stadium or their existence in South Florida

When you look at it objectively, you can clearly see why a fire sale was appropriate. When you're the one who owns the team and has to deal with all this crap, or one of its many consultants, you can definitely see why a fire sale was appropriate.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
- The 2004 figure was heavily supported by season ticket holders who signed up while celebrating the World Series
- The 2005 figure barely increased despite heavy investment in the club's on field product
The 2005 attendance figure barely increased because ticket prices went up by more than 30%.

That one's pretty easy.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
And yet even after the 30% increase, the Marlins' average ticket price was among the lowest (27th) in the league despite Miami having a cost of living higher than US Average and at least 8 teams.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
- The team had no promise of continued fan support, of a new stadium or their existence in South Florida
Now that I think about it, it's pretty amazing that attendance didn't go down after that 30% hike.

There was some seriously legitimate growth in fan interest going on.

And yet even after the 30% increase, the Marlins' average ticket price was among the lowest (27th) in the league despite Miami having a cost of living higher than US Average and at least 8 teams.
If we're talking about the cost of going to a game, Marlins games aren't exactly bargains.

Paying for parking is practically mandatory, and the price of concessions is among the highest in all of baseball. In 2005, the Marlins had the most expensive soft drinks per ounce and the 2nd-most expensive hotdogs in the bigs. The gate price is comparably low by necessity.

Cabrerafan

Muckdog
Reaction score
A little bit off-topic here, but is anyone else annoyed by how loud everything is during the game? I'm not sure if the rest of major league ballparks are the same. It would be nice to be able to talk about the game between innings, but it's impossible with all the loud music and silly things on the jumbotron (Miccosukkee Air Boat Race, for example). I guess the actual game itself isn't enough and people need to be entertained further. My dad said back in the old days everyone in the stadium would be talking about the game/strategies in between innings. I wish it were like that today, but sadly our attendance would probably be even worse if that were the case. We seem to live in a society where people need to be entertained 24/7.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Despite some of the highest prices for sodas, the fan cost index is below league average, a whopping 19th in 2005 and 20th in 2006. Once again, proving the reason why people show up has little to do with price, treatment by owners, or even on field product. There's a very small core that shows up, and a small set that shows up when the conditions are just exactly right. And it's been that way since 1995, well before any of the commonly used excuses had come to exist.

Top Bottom