What's new

Austin Brice designated for assignment (Warning: Thread has nothing to do with Brice)

SongInTheAir

Hammerhead
Writer
Reaction score
Austin Brice is a good pitcher. He and Nick Wittgren belong in MLB bullpens. Also, Nate Bump.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Austin Brice is a good pitcher. He and Nick Wittgren belong in MLB bullpens. Also, Nate Bump.
The fact that nobody in the Miami media covering this team really pressed this front office on that decision (DFA Wittgren) is just a testament to how fucking bad the media is in Miami.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
The fact that nobody in the Miami media covering this team really pressed this front office on that decision (DFA Wittgren) is just a testament to how fucking bad the media is in Miami.
Yeah, that move made no sense at the time to me. And why he was down in AAA for us made no sense either.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
This is a stretch.

Wittgren was solid but he was also just a middle reliever with no really big prior successes to speak of. It's not like he was an All Star before nor did he go on to become a superstar in Cleveland.

I can't think of any media in any market for any team that would have made a big deal about DFAing a middle reliever with no real prior success.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
This is a stretch.

Wittgren was solid but he was also just a middle reliever with no really big prior successes to speak of. It's not like he was an All Star before nor did he go on to become a superstar in Cleveland.

I can't think of any media in any market for any team that would have made a big deal about DFAing a middle reliever with no real prior success.
Eh, its not like Wittgren wasnt a piece that was useful and cheap.

He also proved how idiotic of a decision it was with his 2019 campaign. But lets just ignore how idiotic of a decision that was at the time.

But continue suckling the collective teets of this regime.

It made no sense to DFA Wittgren when it happened and it makes less sense now. The same really probably applies to Brice.

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
I have been pretty supportive of the new ownership, but I will say their bullpen moves have been pretty questionable.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
Eh, its not like Wittgren wasnt a piece that was useful and cheap.

He also proved how idiotic of a decision it was with his 2019 campaign. But lets just ignore how idiotic of a decision that was at the time.

But continue suckling the collective teets of this regime.

It made no sense to DFA Wittgren when it happened and it makes less sense now. The same really probably applies to Brice.
I disliked the Wittgren move too, but you said the media should have been all over them for it and I can't think of media anywhere that would have been all over any team for DFAing a middle reliever with no real prior success to speak of. Once again you're discussing different things and/or changing the conversation midstream.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I disliked the Wittgren move too, but you said the media should have been all over them for it and I can't think of media anywhere that would have been all over any team for DFAing a middle reliever with no real prior success to speak of. Once again you're discussing different things and/or changing the conversation midstream.
the media sucks in Miami. It’s better with Spencer gone though.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
the media sucks in Miami. It’s better with Spencer gone though.
Fair opinion, I'm not saying it's great... but in what MLB market do you truly think the media would press the front office for DFA'ing an unknown middle reliever with no standout successes?

If anyone else can answer this question have at it.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Fair opinion, I'm not saying it's great... but in what MLB market do you truly think the media would press the front office for DFA'ing an unknown middle reliever with no standout successes?

If anyone else can answer this question have at it.
boston

New York

Michael

Wind Surge
VIP
Writer
Reaction score
I have been pretty supportive of the new ownership, but I will say their bullpen moves have been pretty questionable.
Clearly they learned from Mattingly.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Granted most franchises wouldnt do things so idiotic as to DFA a perfectly good reliever who isnt even arbitration eligible yet without giving any real reasoning behind it so there is that.

Marlins now do it two years in a row.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I don’t understand why you DFA Brice and Keller but still have Conley stinking it up in the pen.
Brice is out of options so that limits flexibility for a backend reliever, and Keller isn't very good. They also have at least 7 comparable or better right handers - Stanek, Steck, Yimi, Brigham, Sharp, Hernandez, and Dugger - plus Guzman likely joining pen midseason.

Garcia and Quijada are there only lefty relievers without Conley, and Quijada doesn't really look ready. Vesia is probably a 2021 player considering they can avoid 40 man protection for 1 more year.

Conley also has real upside - https://blogs.fangraphs.com/these-three-marlins-lefties-have-some-funky-fastballs/

Relievers are volatile. He's worth the gamble this year for sure. He knows this is his last chance for consistent MLB contracts so you'd hope he shows up ready to go.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Granted most franchises wouldnt do things so idiotic as to DFA a perfectly good reliever who isnt even arbitration eligible yet without giving any real reasoning behind it so there is that.

Marlins now do it two years in a row.
Wittgren is much better than Brice.

Wittgren also had an option last year, so that one is still puzzling.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Wittgren is much better than Brice.

Wittgren also had an option last year, so that one is still puzzling.
Honestly, I think its maybe the stupidest decision this new regime has made and nobody* really called them for it, which makes it just as bad.

*Anyone thats not an armchair fan and has real access to the team

One of the best things to happen to the Marlins is the retirement of Spencer, who was mailing it in for a good 5 years before retiring. This Doonsberry character seems to actually give a damn about reporting on the Marlins so thats nice, as opposed to literally every real writer covering this franchise since Rodriguez's death and Baxter going to LA.

Top Bottom