What's new

Austin Brice designated for assignment (Warning: Thread has nothing to do with Brice)

SongInTheAir

Hammerhead
Writer
Reaction score
We need better relievers! Let's start by getting rid of good relievers. WHY ISN'T OUR PLAN WORKING? :(

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think its maybe the stupidest decision this new regime has made and nobody* really called them for it, which makes it just as bad.

*Anyone thats not an armchair fan and has real access to the team

One of the best things to happen to the Marlins is the retirement of Spencer, who was mailing it in for a good 5 years before retiring. This Doonsberry character seems to actually give a damn about reporting on the Marlins so thats nice, as opposed to literally every real writer covering this franchise since Rodriguez's death and Baxter going to LA.
The stupidest decision this regime will ever make is trading Yelich with 5 years of control for below market value. And that isn't accounting for Brinson failing and Yelich getting better.

But the Wittgren move was really dumb.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
We need better relievers! Let's start by getting rid of good relievers. WHY ISN'T OUR PLAN WORKING? :(
I'm not sure if Brice makes the team.

I'd rather have Stanek, Steckenrider (healthy), Brigham (great end of year), Yimi, and Sharp (keep him or he's gone). Then, is Brice better than Hernandez if one of those 5 gets hurt?

This one isn't a big deal.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
The stupidest decision this regime will ever make is trading Yelich with 5 years of control for below market value. And that isn't accounting for Brinson failing and Yelich getting better.

But the Wittgren move was really dumb.
The Marlins REALLY need Harrison to not be a disaster in the big leagues.

I didnt want to bring up the Yelich deal because thats just too easy.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
The Marlins REALLY need Harrison to not be a disaster in the big leagues.

I didnt want to bring up the Yelich deal because thats just too easy.
It's easy, but it's also true. They sold low with prospect value, and then it got worse. It's a true disaster of a move.

Wittgren is whatever longterm, but it was dumb.

They need Brinson, Diaz, Harrison, and Yamamoto to get to like 30 WAR over their club controlled years to create a push with Yelich. I'm not holding my breath.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
It's easy, but it's also true. They sold low with prospect value, and then it got worse. It's a true disaster of a move.

Wittgren is whatever longterm, but it was dumb.

They need Brinson, Diaz, Harrison, and Yamamoto to get to like 30 WAR over their club controlled years to create a push with Yelich. I'm not holding my breath.
They are a combined -2.3 WAR so far I think so thats a good start!

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I mean give Yamamoto credit, I thought he would be the worst of those 4 players and he is the only one with a positive WAR, so good on him!

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
They are a combined -2.3 WAR so far I think so thats a good start!
One thing to keep in mind is that their WAR numbers the last 2 seasons don't mean squat. If Diaz, Harrison, and Yamamoto maintain starter level WAR for 5 seasons they would get to 30 WAR. If they contribute to the Marlins having winning seasons, who cares what their total WAR is especially since it probably helped get better picks the last 2 years with their struggles.

It would be like if a team was guaranteed to win 810 games and lose 810 games over the course of a decade, it would be better to average 53 wins for 3 years and 93 for the other 7 than it is to get 81 wins every season.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that their WAR numbers the last 2 seasons don't mean squat. If Diaz, Harrison, and Yamamoto maintain starter level WAR for 5 seasons they would get to 30 WAR. If they contribute to the Marlins having winning seasons, who cares what their total WAR is especially since it probably helped get better picks the last 2 years with their struggles.

It would be like if a team was guaranteed to win 810 games and lose 810 games over the course of a decade, it would be better to average 53 wins for 3 years and 93 for the other 7 than it is to get 81 wins every season.
That's a lot of ifs as opposed to a known quantity.

I really would be shocked if all 3 of those have that successful of careers, based entirely on probablity.

Normally you would have 1 who would excel, 1 who would be decent, 1 who would be average and 1 that is an utter disaster.

Right now you have 1 utter disaster in Brinson. I was not impressed with Diaz (not in the minors and not really in the MLB). Yamamoto exeeded expectations. Marlins really really need Harrison to be an all star level player to make that trade not be the utter disaster it is so far.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
That's a lot of ifs as opposed to a known quantity.

I really would be shocked if all 3 of those have that successful of careers, based entirely on probablity.

Normally you would have 1 who would excel, 1 who would be decent, 1 who would be average and 1 that is an utter disaster.

Right now you have 1 utter disaster in Brinson. I was not impressed with Diaz (not in the minors and not really in the MLB). Yamamoto exeeded expectations. Marlins really really need Harrison to be an all star level player to make that trade not be the utter disaster it is so far.
Isan had a comically low BABIP in his cup of coffee. He'll probably be fine as the walk rate held. The only thing I am concerned about with him is longterm defense at 2B.

The overall problem is, even if Isan and Monte are 2 WAR average starters, you still have a phenomenal gap to Yelich. There is no way they "win" the trade unless someone becomes a star.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
The entire rebuild could have been done without the Yelich trade. It's massively foolish.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
The entire rebuild could have been done without the Yelich trade. It's massively foolish.
Yep. I'll never understand why they traded 5 years of him, let alone for prospects not matching his value. They needed Hiura replacing Isan and Burnes/Woodruff replacing Yamamoto at the time for it to make sense.

SongInTheAir

Hammerhead
Writer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Brice makes the team.

I'd rather have Stanek, Steckenrider (healthy), Brigham (great end of year), Yimi, and Sharp (keep him or he's gone). Then, is Brice better than Hernandez if one of those 5 gets hurt?

This one isn't a big deal.
You're right that it's not a big deal overall, just kind of seems like a careless mistake. For a team that is trying everything to keep Jose Ureña on the roster, there was certainly room for Austin Brice. (and yes, he's better than Hernandez and better than Jarlin too)

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
You're right that it's not a big deal overall, just kind of seems like a careless mistake. For a team that is trying everything to keep Jose Ureña on the roster, there was certainly room for Austin Brice. (and yes, he's better than Hernandez and better than Jarlin too)
Very debatable. Garcia being a lefty easily vaults him over Brice. Hernandez can pitch more innings so he's likely more valuable, especially with an option left.

Brice will be traded just like Keller. Someone will take him. I can't characterize this as a careless mistake at all.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Maybe Jeter needs to keep Yelich no matter how much he hates to play for this team …

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Isan had a comically low BABIP in his cup of coffee. He'll probably be fine as the walk rate held. The only thing I am concerned about with him is longterm defense at 2B.

The overall problem is, even if Isan and Monte are 2 WAR average starters, you still have a phenomenal gap to Yelich. There is no way they "win" the trade unless someone becomes a star.
You don't have to "win" the trade. You just have to have those players be big parts in giving the Marlins something that Yelich and company could never do. Get to the playoffs. Or at the very least an actual winning season.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
You don't have to "win" the trade. You just have to have those players be big parts in giving the Marlins something that Yelich and company could never do. Get to the playoffs. Or at the very least an actual winning season.
I've said it once and I'll say it again... the Marlins may have lost the 2003 trade that got them Ugueth Urbina for Adrian Gonzalez in terms of WAR but in exchange they won the 2003 World Series so you tell me who lost that trade?

Top Bottom