What's new

Bad news Marlins fans....

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
WQAM's Marlins reporter Josh Friedman called in to confirm the news.

AJ's has a ligament tear and will need surgery. They'll know more when they open his arm up tomorrow, but it could be even worse:

Tommy John surgery is a possibility. Not planned, but a possibility...

Let's all hope things work out, but for the immediate future this is an enormous blow to Burnett and to the current season for the Marlins.

Hopefully pitchers will step up for him like they have been recently. Tejera in the rotation for starters, maybe Wayne, who knows what the solution will be.

Just crushing news. :(

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
damn.. this is a big blow for the Marlins.. I hope Burnett has a successful recovery :(

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now I think it's obvious whe need to sign somebody or make a trade, I don't know which one. I don't think Wayne is ready for the majors, or Willis... I might sound obnoxious, but Chuck Finley remains unsigned... :rolleyes: who knows?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
dammit....

i dont see us making a move eadermas....

we gotta stay with our guns....

Beckett and Penny need to be 1a and 1b... Red and Pavano need to continue success...whoever is our 5th just needs to give us good innings

Jack1

I am sorry to hear AJ has to have surgery. He'll come back better than ever.
Although I doubt he'll be back this year. I guess it'll depend on what they find during the surgery.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Admin Beinfest said they will stay within the organization. He mentioned three names: Justin Wayne, Dontrelle Willis, and Ryan Snare.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Admin Beinfest said they will stay within the organization. He mentioned three names: Justin Wayne, Dontrelle Willis, and Ryan Snare.
in case anyone forgot, we got Ryan Snare from Cincy for Dempster.....

The way this deal is looking, its could be robbery in our favor....

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I feel bad for him, I hope he recovers fast but i doubt he will throw a ball this season. He would probaly be ready by ST. By then he has to gain back his Arm Strengh and this is a real big blow to Torborg and the rest of th staff.

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
Use the talent from within the organization.

Bring up one guy at a time (use all the names previously mentioned,) and give them a couple of starts. We might get a surprise from one or two of these guys, and it would be invaluable experience for them to cut their teeth in some ML starts. Even if they are not successful this time around, it could really benefit their future in the organization.

Let them all know that it is just a 'visit' to the big show for now, unless of course someone is just plain lights out.

JMO

later.........

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I gotta applaud the way Beinfest handled his contract this off season.....

thank god we havent signed him long term BIG $$$$...yet

that is all :mischief2

Reaction score
Yeah, lets bring up Willis! Fuct it. I'd like to get a few starts from him. If he turns out to be real good we won't give him the money and have to trade him for almost nothing. So lets get a few quality starts from him while he is cheap. :)

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Burnett had Tommy John surgery and will be out for this season and part or all of next year. If I remember correctly, he only has a one-year contract. I wonder what will happen next year. Insurance will not cover a new contract if he already has the injury. Thats a tough one, guess it depends if we plan to keep him long term and how far along he is at the start of next year.

Wow, that's bad news Ross. :(

Should be interesting to see what happens with him and a new contract.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
The Marlins not resigning AJ would be a very bad idea.

The Tommy John procedure often allows pitchers to return as good as or better than before....

Many top pitchers have undergone this procedure and are having very successful careers....

Two examples to start with....

Wood, Kerry

Morris, Matt

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins not resigning AJ would be a very bad idea.
The Tommy John procedure often allows pitchers to return as good as or better than before....
Many top pitchers have undergone this procedure and are having very successful careers....
Two examples to start with....
Wood, Kerry
Morris, Matt
I'm quite sure there are examples of pitchers who have never been the same after this surgery also.

It would be nice if they hung onto him, but it all depends on what AJ is willing to sign for. He certainly isn't going to get that fat multi-year deal he wanted. If they're going to be paying him for a whole year of rehab he can't demand much. He's still never made it through a full season healthy.

Wow, maybe not back until 2005.... just hate to see a star in the making have to go through this.

Top Bottom