What's new

Barbosa Wins NBA 6th Man of the Year Award

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Leandro Barbosa won the NBA's Sixth Man Award on Monday after a season in which he averaged 18.0 points and helped lead the Phoenix Suns to the second-best record in the league.

The fourth-year guard from Brazil received 101 of a possible 127 first-place votes and 578 points from a media panel. San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili was second with 269 points and Dallas guard Jerry Stackhouse was third with 210.

The vote was announced a day after Barbosa scored 15 straight points in the second half to spark the Suns' comeback in their playoff opener. Barbosa finished with 26 points, matching his career playoff high, in the 95-87 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.

This season, he came off the bench in 62 of 80 games. Barbosa scored 20 or more points in 33 games and averaged 4.0 assists and 2.7 rebounds. The Suns went 61-21 this season, and only Dallas had a better record.

He is the fourth Suns' player to win the award, joining Eddie Johnson (1988-89), Danny Manning (1997-98) and Rodney Rogers (1999-00).
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2846672

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good for him, but I've never understood the point of this award. Congratulations, you're the best bench player in the league! There are a lot of better players in this league, but they all are on the floor when the opening tipoff is thrown, so you deserve an award more than they do!

juanpierre

Muckdog
Reaction score
the point of the award is to award sportsmanship and being a good team player. how many starting-calibur players would like to come off the bench.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
If that were true, they could just make an award for sportsmanship, like the NHL has.

Look, this isn't a big deal or anything...I just think it's funny.

If you're going to have an award for the best 6th best player on a team, why not have one for the best 2nd best player on a team? Call it the Sidekick Award. Or the best 12th man...the Thanks For Keeping My Seat Warm Award. Most of the time these 6th men play starter minutes anyhow, so the only honest distinction between them and the starters is that the 6th man just comes in later. And they don't give it to the guy with the best sportsmanship...they give it to the guy with the best numbers. Barbosa is a good player with good numbers, but honestly he's just being recognized for his willingness to come of the bench AND for being on a team that is good enough to have him come off the bench. Most teams in the league, he's a starter.

Anyway, this isn't worth arguing about. I was just registering my skepticism.

Top Bottom