What's new

Baseball Prospectus: Top Spects/Top under 25

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
BaseballProspectus.com released their PECOTA top 100 prospects (based on Upside)
The Upside rating is designed to evaluate players in terms of value in their pre-free agency seasons. They are not, strictly speaking, intended to speak to who is going to have the most valuable career.

#1 Alex Gordon
#56 Thomas Hickman (they absolutely love the guy)
#95 Jose Garcia
#96 Rick Vanden Hurk

The also released their PECOTA top 50 players under the age of 25 (based on Upside)
Returning exclusively to the PECOTA sphere, we can also provide our "big picture" list of the 50 best players aged 25-and-under in baseball, regardless of prospect status. Note that these rankings do not account for performance in the 2007 season to date; quite a few of these players have had noteworthy seasons.

#1 Joe Mauer
#2 David Wright
#3 Miguel Cabrera (just .3 behind Wright)
#12 Hanley Ramirez
#36 Josh Johnson
#42 Dontrelle Willis
#50 Jeremy Hermida

PECOTA = Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm. PECOTA is BP's proprietary system that projects player performance based on comparison with thousands of historical player-seasons. Analyzes similarities with past player-seasons based not only on rate statistics, but also height, weight, age, and many other factors.

I guess I just dont see how Wright can have more upside than Cabrera.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nor do I see how Hanley Ramirez is convincingly better than Reyes (even if I think he's slightly better).

That's just silly.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nor do I see how Hanley Ramirez is convincingly better than Reyes (even if I think he's slightly better).

That's just silly.
In his case, I think it's the power potential

Why did TB sign that hot shot Japanese 3B after drafting a stud 3B like Longoria? Planning on switching his position?

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Olsen? Rich Hill? Are they not under 25?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Olsen? Rich Hill? Are they not under 25?
Olsen yes, Rich Hill is 27

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really don't like the second list. Don't agree with most of it. Nice to see my boy Mike Napoli on it though. :thumbup

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
surprised Volstad didnt make the first list and I dont like Wright being that high. They are either smoking the hype or something else there. That is way too high for David Wright. He should switch with Reyes if anything.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's interesting that they thing so highly of Eric Patterson. For some reason the Cubs don't seem to be convinced that this guy is a player, perhaps just because of his brother.

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
am I missing something, or do they have Dontrelle Willis on that list twice, once under Detroit Tigers?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
am I missing something, or do they have Dontrelle Willis on that list twice, once under Detroit Tigers?

I can see they're still hitting the bottle pretty hard over at BP :beer

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think DTrain #2 is Justin Verlander

buccanes

Muckdog
Reaction score
this whole time i though evan longoria was eva longoria's brother..

thought it was rather funny the parents had named them with such similar names.

just ruined all the fun, since i just read they arent related

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really don't like the second list. Don't agree with most of it. Nice to see my boy Mike Napoli on it though. :thumbup

He went to my High School.

Top Bottom