What's new

Beckett, on his injury

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Josh becket visted Andrews today and they told him he had a sprained elbow and will be out for 3 weeks according to Andews. IN the meanwhile torborg should bring up Bump! He said he was going to move Phelps into the rotation so i doubt it.

Sprained elbow for Beckett
Third Marlins starter to hit DL
By CLARK SPENCER
cspencer@herald.com

Add pitcher Josh Beckett's name to the Marlins' casualty list. Beckett joined fellow starters A.J. Burnett and Mark Redman on the disabled list after being diagnosed Thursday with a sprained right elbow.

Though Beckett was told by orthopedist James Andrews that he could resume throwing in a week, general manager Admin Beinfest said no timetable has been set for Beckett's return to a staff already beset by injuries.

''It would be easy to feel [sorry for ourselves],'' Beinfest said. ``Certainly, we've had our run of bad luck the last seven to 10 days.

``I think this is going to test the resolve of this team right now. Right now, in the middle of May, we're going to find out what we're made of, and I expect us to step up.''

The Marlins called up rookie left-hander Dontrelle Willis from Double A Carolina to take Beckett's roster spot, while manager Jeff Torborg said he was leaning toward moving left-hander Tommy Phelps from the bullpen to the rotation.

Neither Willis nor Phelps has started a major-league game. Willis, 21, is scheduled to start tonight against the Colorado Rockies, and Phelps could be penciled in for Monday when the Marlins open a 12-game road trip at San Diego.

''Who'd have even thought we'd end up with three left-handed starters [Michael Tejera is the other] and Redman isn't one of them?'' Torborg said.

Burnett was lost for the season April 28 when he underwent reconstructive surgery on his right elbow. One day later, Redman's left thumb was broken during a failed bunt attempt. Redman is expected to miss at least two more weeks.

On Wednesday, Beckett completed only the first inning against San Francisco before Torborg lifted him. Beckett had complained of tightness in the elbow to the team's medical staff several weeks ago and had not pitched his normal bullpen sessions between starts.

''There was some tightness, but it loosened right up,'' Beinfest said.

Beckett told reporters Wednesday night that the stiffness had worsened, but he said he had neglected to tell the team's medical staff. Beinfest said Beckett should have been more forthcoming.

Torborg realized Beckett was in trouble in the first inning Wednesday.

'I went up to him in the dugout and just said, `How bad are you hurting?' '' Torborg recalled. ``He kind of looked at me and said, `I can give you five innings.'

'I said, `That isn't the question. The question was, how does your arm feel?' He said there was a little tightness, and I said, `That's it. You know what we've just gone through [with Burnett and Redman], and I don't want to go through that again.''

Beckett flew to Birmingham, Ala., on Thursday to have his elbow examined by Andrews, who performed Burnett's surgery. If it is a mild sprain, Beckett could return when he comes off the 15-day DL.

Link

Top Bottom