Beckett wont be rushed

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins won't rush Beckett's return

By Juan C. Rodriguez
Staff Writer
Posted June 4 2003

Right-hander Josh Beckett continued inching toward a return to the rotation. Tuesday, he threw off a mound for the first time since going on the disabled list with a sprained elbow ligament May 9.

The pace of Beckett's arm- strengthening program has been a source of exasperation. He threw 22 fastballs on Tuesday and felt he could have done more. Though Beckett has not suffered any setbacks, manger Jack McKeon doesn't expect him back until the end of the month.

"I'd rather see Beckett take as much time as he needs and get him right so we don't have another breakdown during the course of the year," McKeon said. "I don't want to take any chances with this guy, especially when he have some depth. The guys filling in are doing a good job."

Initially told he would be out four to six weeks, Beckett hoped to come back quicker. He will throw again Thursday and could face live hitting Sunday.

Chances are Beckett will require at least one rehabilitation start before appearing in his first major league game since May 7.

"Dr. [James]Andrews told me there probably would be some setbacks," Beckett said. "I haven't had that at all. I understand. They're being cautious. That's how they have to do it."

ALL-STAR SPECULATION

Two Marlins are among the top vote-getters at their positions among National League players. Pudge Rodriguez is leading all catchers with 177,336 votes, ahead of the Mets' Mike Piazza (137,752) and San Francisco's Benito Santiago (94,959).

At third base, Mike Lowell (88,793) trails only St. Louis' Scott Rolen (275,569), and new Diamondbacks third baseman Shea Hillenbrand (115,207).

Though they aren't among the top five vote-getters at their positions, second baseman Luis Castillo and shortstop Alex Gonzalez also are having seasons worthy of All-Star consideration.

C/o :Miami herald

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think it's a smart move on the marlin's managments part to be cautious with Beckett, the last thing we want is for him to be on the D.L. again. :dont

Top Bottom