What's new

Beckett....

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
FloridaMarlins.com just had an article a couple of days ago titled:
"Kid Gloves Are Off For Beckett"

All about how since the blisters seem to be gone, Torborg and Arnsberg are not going to be as careful with Beckett anymore, he'll be given the chance to go out & perform.

Ok fine. So why is it that he can't go out there & stretch 7 innings out of him? I don't give a daamn if he was at 108 pitches. Now & then a pitcher can extend himself a little bit. More importantly, he had the 7-8-9 hitters coming up for the Mets. If he got in trouble you can go to the pen but he'd been dominating the Mets for most of the game, and just blew through an 8-pitch 6th inning.

Leave him in for at least one more inning man!

And if you DO go to the pen, why in god's name do you hand a one-run lead over to your worst reliever? I would have rather seen Brad Arnsberg go out there & pitch the 7th. Are Torborg and Nunez related somehow? Why does he keep sending Vlad out there in huge situations. There are NOT GOOD SITUATIONS to get your confidence back! Moron Torborg! Put in Neal or AA or ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Crap. This game was ours.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
honestly, I would rather see Dan Miceli than Nunez at this point...

maybe Torborg wants to get fired(i wish).... let's hope tomorrow's transaction wire has Nunez sent away....

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
pitchers are coddled too much....

people whine about you have to protect a pitcher...and then you see what happens when you coddle them too much...

this is the biggest negative to it.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Josh Beckett, even after 100 pitches, is better than what we can drag out of the bullpen. Especially the way he was throwing tonight. That's what upsets me.

I'd be curious to hear if Beckett thought he could keep going...

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is due to the new baseball mentality that a starting pitcher can go no longer than 6 innings and/or 100 pitches. I wonder if Cy Young was restricted to 6 innings of work and 100 pitches would he had been able to win 511 games... :confused absolutely not! now they have attached a huge monetary value/investment to the arm of starting pitchers and some managers are afraid of overusing it, by rather killing efficiency on the field. There was no reason to take Beckett out of the game and put Nu?ez especially when the score was close. Like so many before me had said, that's not the best situation for your strugling reliever to get his confidence back, but rather to shatter it even more. And Torborg's too fancy double-switches are already getting on my nerves.

CHRISTYTOD

Yeah, like swapping Lowell for Fox - he is a total and complete MORON.

Period.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, like swapping Lowell for Fox - he is a total and complete MORON.

Period.
that was a dumber move than bringing in Nunez IMO

:banghead

Tomy23

Muckdog
Reaction score
They should let Beckett pitch more than he does. Sure, 7 innings is a lot, but, don't pull him unless he starts throwing bad.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
honestly, I would rather see Dan Miceli than Nunez at this point...
I remeber that Dan Meceli, he was another Nunez! I agree with you i would rather see dan meceli pitch thanNunez but once nunez starts working with Arnesberg and torborg he should be ok...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
They should let Beckett pitch more than he does. Sure, 7 innings is a lot, but, don't pull him unless he starts throwing bad.
my ideas exactly....

but that mentality needs to start in rookie ball.

Top Bottom