What's new

Beinfest Finally did something Smart!

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beinfest did the 1st smart move he is the one who auired Dontrelle.....

Willis suddenly talk of baseball

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff writer
Posted June 18 2003

Suddenly, the oft-criticized trade of Antonio Alfonseca and Matt Clement to the Cubs last season for Julian Tavarez and a then-20-year-old left-hander named Dontrelle Willis doesn't look so bad.

OK, so Clement won his third in a row Monday night and is 5-6 with a 4.48 ERA, and Alfonseca, who lost his closer job, pitched a scoreless inning for his seventh hold. But have they been featured on ESPN's Baseball Tonight or as a topic of lively discussion on Pardon the Interruption?

Willis' run of sparkling performances, punctuated by Monday's complete-game, one-hit shutout, along with his high-kicking, funky-chicken delivery is beginning to stir memories of Mark "The Bird" Fidrych in 1976 and Fernando Valenzuela mania in 1981.

"Somebody did a great job of picking up Willis," said manager Jack McKeon, who compared the trade to the Braves acquiring John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander and the Astros stealing Jeff Bagwell from the Red Sox for reliever Admin Andersen.

That somebody was Marlins General Manager Admin Beinfest, who engineered the deal with the Cubs.

"I'd by lying if we knew at the time we traded for him, he'd be this good this fast," Beinfest said. "We knew we had some upside, but we're taking a young player out of short season A ball. He's really handled himself well and done a great job for us. ... You try to be right more than wrong."

ESPN baseball analyst Peter Gammons said Willis reminds him of a "funky Vida Blue," whom McKeon managed in 1977. He's pitching for Willis (6-1, 2.61 ERA) to be on the All-Star team as well as hyping his candidacy for Rookie of the Year. Willis leads all rookies in wins and is second in strikeouts (51).

"He's like a left-handed Juan Marichal and Vida Blue," McKeon said. "If he could win another game or two, how could baseball not even consider this guy for the All-Star Game? He's a new colorful performer coming into the game."

Willis is taking all the attention in stride and said he looks "goofy" on TV.

"It's fine and dandy, but I can't get caught up in that. I'm having good success now, but that can easily turn around to 6-6 and they'll be talking bad about me," said Willis, an eighth-round pick by the Cubs in 2000. "It's fun, all a dream being on Baseball Tonight. They don't call any other sport `The Show.'"

The last Marlins rookie pitcher to come roaring out of the gate was Livan Hernandez, who went 9-3 in 1997 and went on to be named MVP of the World Series. He won six consecutive starts that season.

"He reminds me of Dwight Gooden," Marlins hitting coach Bill Robinson said. "Dave Parker used to talk about himself, saying there's only one of him every 10 years that comes down the pike. Well, here he is."

Willis-mania produced a 4.37 overnight TV rating in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, nearly matching the 4.44 rating for his start last week in Milwaukee. The 4.44 rating was the highest-rated Marlins telecast in five years. An Aug. 31, 1998 game against the Cardinals during Mark McGwire's pursuit of the home run record did a 4.5.

"Based on the television ratings of his last two starts, Willis has become South Florida's newest and hottest sports star," said Jeff Genthner, senior vice president and general manager of Fox Sports Net.

So far, his popularity hasn't translated to a boost in attendance as only 10,624 witnessed his one-hitter. Willis' next start is Saturday at Pro Player Stadium against Tampa Bay.

"This guy is hungry. He wants to pitch. He wants to win. He wants to impress," catcher Mike Redmond said. "The guy is special."

By the way, the Ryan Dempster trade to the Reds for Juan Encarnacion doesn't appear so one-sided anymore either. Dempster is 2-4 with a 7.06 ERA, while Encarnacion is hitting .283 with 10 homers and 44 RBI

Link

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beinfest does not brag AJ, he does things quietly and takes the heat for it. He was the Assistant GM in seattle for a while, he saw Safeco Built and Ichiro scouted. He knows talent. Remember that second place Montreal was scouted, signed, grown, budgeted and run by this ownership- they can find talent and put a product on the field! That is why we are chasing Montreal for the Wildcard (or we were)

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beinfest does not brag AJ, he does things quietly and takes the heat for it. He was the Assistant GM in seattle for a while, he saw Safeco Built and Ichiro scouted. He knows talent. Remember that second place Montreal was scouted, signed, grown, budgeted and run by this ownership- they can find talent and put a product on the field! That is why we are chasing Montreal for the Wildcard (or we were)
unless Fred Ferreira is with the Fish(is he? I have no clue what happened to FF) then this statement is not accurate.

He drafted/signed most of the Spos talented players back in the 90's...Loria and co really did not bring in anyone aside from Tatis :banghead ..the only real good move they made that is showing now was signing Vidro to a LTC...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
-Talking about minor leaguers mostly, they also kept many like vidro, guerero, and schneider (who are excellent playing for the Expos.)
-Tatis was seen as a good prospect that died off basically.
-His ownership was able to keep the current team up there together right? So it is responsible for their wins/losses.
-Didn't Ferreira work under the Loria ownership? Loria tookover after the other owners stopped paying cash calls, that is legal in the US and canada, many companies do it with shareholders.
-I know the previous owner was some sort of French MadMan from what I have Heard? They blame him for media problems (no english tv due to french only stuff)

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
unless Fred Ferreira is with the Fish(is he? I have no clue what happened to FF) then this statement is not accurate.

He drafted/signed most of the Spos talented players back in the 90's...Loria and co really did not bring in anyone aside from Tatis :banghead ..the only real good move they made that is showing now was signing Vidro to a LTC...
This statement is indeed accuarte.

Fred Ferreira is most definately with the Marlins.

Judging by the most recent draft - Fred hasn't missed a beat!

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
From The Miami Herald 4/11/2003

But the Marlins' player-development staff -- many of whom formerly worked for the Expos -- didn't forget about him, and when Fred Ferreira, the team's director of international operations, learned of Griffin's whereabouts he gambled a Rule 5 draft choice on him in December.

''We had the outfielders throwing one day, and he hit 100 [mph] on the radar gun,'' Ferreira recalled. ``We thought he could be a pitcher.''

Ferreira said Griffin's fastball has been clocked in the mid-90s and that he has displayed uncommon poise in his new role.

''He's legit,'' said Ferreira, who has signed or scouted more than 30 big-league players, including the Expos' Vladimir Guerrero and the Yankees' Bernie Williams.

So he is with us in the same capacity he was in Montreal!

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
-Talking about minor leaguers mostly, they also kept many like vidro, guerero, and schneider (who are excellent playing for the Expos.)
-Tatis was seen as a good prospect that died off basically.
-His ownership was able to keep the current team up there together right? So it is responsible for their wins/losses.
-Didn't Ferreira work under the Loria ownership? Loria tookover after the other owners stopped paying cash calls, that is legal in the US and canada, many companies do it with shareholders.
-I know the previous owner was some sort of French MadMan from what I have Heard? They blame him for media problems (no english tv due to french only stuff)
- well of course they kept Vidro, Vlad and co..these guys were still cheap when they were there and were not close to FA like a Lowell is as an example. They had no reason to deal them at that point.

- The problem with Tatis was his contract. He is making 6 million big ones this year thanks to the deal the Cards signed with him after his great year. Back in the winter of 00-01, the Tatis deal looked great, but it was a pretty big risk financially and the Spos are paying the price today

- The core of the team was kept together, I give them credit for that because some owners would have traded a Vlad with the lack of attendance

- Yes FF worked for the Spos for a long time including for the Loria ownership

- It's tough to explain but before Loria came over they had a consortium with one guy who was the leader(Claude Brochu..who I guess is that MadMan you are thinking of) of the consortium. They were the ones who held all those firesales in the 90's. Eventually Brochu just left and Loria bought a share in the team and became part of the consortium and the leader. The no TV thing started once Loria took over because he wanted to have more revenues coming in from the TV networks. The Spos were dead last in that department, but there was such a gap between them and the 29th team, it was like they were 80th. So Loria played hardball with the TV stations and they told him to get lost and even today with him gone they can't get the Spos on TV because the TV stations are still pissed off. So still no TV in english and french :banghead

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Yankees weren't the first team to have a TV Network, we were one of the first ones. Wayne H. owned the Fish, Phins, Panthers, and what is today Fox Sports Net Florida. He signed the Fish and Panthers to large FSN contracts, then sold FSN. A year later the Phins signed with Sunshine (who the Marlins and Panthers were on before) for a long term deal on Dolphins programming. FSN owns all Marlins Tv rights (They sell games to PAX) and all Panthers Rights (They keep all games to FSN). Contracts run through 2011 for FSN, Pax until 2004 I believe.

Top Bottom