What's new

Beinfest`prepared to go as is right now.'

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
MARLINS
Marlins continue hunt for closer, outfielder
Florida has not addressed its needs in the bullpen and outfield this offseason and is `prepared to go as is right now.'
BY CLARK SPENCER
cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Taylor Tankersley went on his first hunting trip in October, climbed a tree and with a single shot using a bow took out a 350-pound buck that the southpaw reliever hopes to mount and hang inside the Marlins clubhouse.

''I only shot one arrow my whole life, and that was it,'' Tankersley said.

The Marlins, meanwhile, spent the entire offseason rummaging around for a closer but didn't bag any trophies.

General manager Admin Beinfest on Tuesday admitted the front office fell short in its quest not only to locate a closer, but in securing a center fielder they could bank on with any level of certainty . . . so far.

''We have not been successful to the level that we would like to be in those two areas, in terms of bringing in additional candidates,'' Beinfest said at a media luncheon in Hallandale Beach. ``There was no question those were areas we wanted to address. That still remains. We're prepared to go as is right now.''

For now, Beinfest said as many as four candidates stand to vie for the closer's role when Marlins pitchers and catchers report Feb. 17 in Jupiter. And the four he named -- Tankersley, Ricky Nolasco, Henry Owens and Matt Lindstrom -- have accounted for a grand total of three saves in the majors.

''We think we have a closer in camp,'' Beinfest said. ``I'm not sure that he's been a closer, or he knows who he is. But we think we have a closer in our camp, and in the next six weeks I think somebody will step up.''

Nolasco started last season in the bullpen before moving into the starting rotation. But he said he would accept whatever role the Marlins give him. The Marlins obtained Owens and Lindstrom, two rookie right-handers, in a trade with the Mets.

Tankersley will most likely wind up in his familiar role as an eighth-inning set-up man.

Part of the team's decision could rest on the health of two of their starters, Anibal Sanchez and Josh Johnson, who are nursing minor arm injuries as the start of camp approaches.

Beinfest said he is ''hopeful'' they'll be ready when the season opens April 2. But if one or both is unavailable, Nolasco could be asked to assume his old spot in the rotation.

Sanchez, who has experienced discomfort in his shoulder and underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam to rule out structural damage, is throwing off a mound. Beinfest said that Johnson is not throwing at all at the moment.

There's still a chance the Marlins could work out a trade for a closer or center fielder before the start of the season. The Giants would like to get rid of veteran closer Armando Benitez, and the Marlins have expressed interest in him.

But Beinfest said potential trade partners almost always ask about the Marlins' pitchers, and usually ask for more than the Marlins are wiling to give.

''We would rather make a mistake holding a pitcher than moving one along and have them be productive somewhere else,'' Beinfest said.

This sums it up!

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
:barf

And that last line really bothers me, we won't get markedly better unless we're willing to either:

1) Take a risk

or

2) Spend money

And since option B isn't happening anytime soon, foolishly holding onto a position of embarassing strength will just leave us with too many people for too few roles.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
When you're forced to go all in (something I should point out that few Loria OR Beinfest critics accept), you go all in. You don't regret it. You don't show a sign of doubt. You hope you win the pot, and plan to make the big come back.

Regrets come in October when the game is over.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
''We would rather make a mistake holding a pitcher than moving one along and have them be productive somewhere else,'' Beinfest said.
That sounds like something the Midget would say.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
not like he has a choice anyways what is he going to say?

"We expect none of these guys at camp to be useful?"

Even if it is truth about CF he wont say it.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is of course Clark Spencer's spin, when you hear Beinfest actually speak at length on the subject he makes a much sounder case for not rushing off and making trades of players who haven't come close to approaching their ability, which is what I think he was really saying.

It's no secret and Beinfest confirmed today everyone this off-season wanted a piece of the Marlins starting rotation in whatever trade was being discussed, and he has made up his mind not to go down that road, at least not now. I think Mitre being hurt had something to do with that as well as his inability to acquire a closer putting a premium on Nolasco's value to the team. If we go into spring training and some of the kids really look impressive enough to earn a starter's job, or Benitez or someone appears on the horizon, all of a sudden we're then in a position to do something, but for the time being he's not going to break up the starting five without a significant reason.

And frankly, I'm down with that.

I also liked his answer to an Alzegary question regarding players not being here long enough for fans to become attached to them, referencing Willis and Cabrera and implying the Marlins should sign both to longterm deals. Beinfest's comment was "they're part of this team for at least three more seasons" (end of 2009).

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
worst offseason ever
I wouldnt say that considering we had 2 world champion teams traded away... The team's objectives were slightly different and the team's roster is built differently. What the team had to offer in trade value just wasn't enough or was too much

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
I also liked his answer to an Alzegary question regarding players not being here long enough for fans to become attached to them, referencing Willis and Cabrera and implying the Marlins should sign both to longterm deals. Beinfest's comment was "they're part of this team for at least three more seasons" (end of 2009).
That's a nice answer but the fact is in '09 Miguel and DTrain stand to make at least $30 million between them and almost all the good '06 rookies will be arbitration eligible so althoguh it was a nice answer I don't think it was a realistic one based on the Midget's recent comments regarding payroll.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's a nice answer but the fact is in '09 Miguel and DTrain stand to make at least $30 million between them and almost all the good '06 rookies will be arbitration eligible so althoguh it was a nice answer I don't think it was a realistic one based on the Midget's recent comments regarding payroll.
I think you're taking those comments out of context. They were more likely to prove the Marlins' commitment to the new stadium than any threat of a hard cap. Do you honestly think this team would toss aside good players when they have a legitimate chance of winning a World Series?

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think you're taking those comments out of context. They were more likely to prove the Marlins' commitment to the new stadium than any threat of a hard cap. Do you honestly think this team would toss aside good players when they have a legitimate chance of winning a World Series?
Samson on payroll:
''It would not go up at all during construction.''

I don't know about you but to me that means payroll will not go up during construction. I guess we'll agree to disagree over what he meant. I don't think the team will toss any good players aside. I think they'll trade them before they get too expensive - there's a difference. Regarding winning a WS, I think this off-season proves that nowadays Loria sole concern is making money. With an extra $15 million in payroll we could have a CF and a couple of additional reliable bullpen arms and these additions would have made this team a legitimate contender whle allowing him to still make a lot of money.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Context! Context! Context!
He made a connection to expenses during the construction period be strained because of the Marlins' potential financial commitment to stadium construction. A figure that is still be negotiated and could be relieved by the state's participation.

I think you're off the mark in considering this team a contender yet, even with $15M and a few lost tradable assets to shore up its holes. Very soon though. And with Cabrera and Willis, even better. Thus I don't worry that they (or anyone else of consequence) will be on the chopping block of a hard cap.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
This really is the year for Jeremy Hermida to prove what just about every in and around the game has been saying that he has superstar written all over him because if produces anywhere near what was expected of him last spring it's like we went and spent $15 mllion on player acquisitions. To a lesser extent because after all he did hit 20 homeruns on one foot last season, the same can be said for Mike Jacobs. but I digress.

There is no question in a perfect world we would have traded for or acquired through free agency a quality centerfielder and bolstered our pen with more established arms but even the most cynical among us has to admit the market this off-season got away from us and many other teams when Meche gets $55 million and the human rain delay Steve Trachsel who no one had interest in three days ago gets over $3 million from the Orioles at the blink of an eye (or a pop in the shoulder as the case may be). Chan Ho Park signs for $600k with four times as much in incentive money, $2.4 million, meaning he's worth upward of $3 million too if he just shows up. How anyone can expect any team with piddling revenues to operate in this market is beyond me.

In my job here at MB.com as chief apologist for all manner of things Florida Marlins management related I should be saying we don't need to spend another $15 million, but frankly, I think we should have picked up Trachsel a month ago and said so. Ditto Yorman Bazardo and especially Eddie Guardado, even if he wasn't ready for six months I'd risk a half million to have "Everyday Eddie" on the roster when September rolls around.

And for that matter two or three others who eventually signed in the million+/- dollar range, all with the intended purpose of trading them off (except Eddie Guardado) later for the parts we did need.

The problem there is of course roster management but assuming that issue could have been overcome I do think $5,000,000 or so (plus cash or a prospect for Bazardo) in additional spending "could" have paid off handsomely down the line and yes I do fault management for not at least making some optional moves. Was Eddie G. probably going to stay in Cincy regardless? Yeah. But it would have been worth an inquiry if they didn't. Same thing with Tanyon Sturtze.

But what can you really do in a market where Baez gets $19 million for three years? Really? I don't know how anyone can make a case that things aren't out of control.

Reaction score
I agree with Beinfest. The thing is the most likely closer candidate we cna acquire via trade is Benitez, who has been hurt. Furthermore, none of the CF options available are worth Olsen, johnson, sanchez, or even nolasco. Teams seem to be asking for one of thsoe 4 and they are the key to this team contending in the near future. Last season we contended till almost the last week of the season, considering a horrendous start of the year. The team as is has room to improve this year. What the team cannot do is trade one of those 4 unless someone else emerges. in the meantime any trades need to involve other pitchers we have such as Petit, if the giants arent willing to part with injury prone benitez for a young pitcher that isnt one of out big 4, then we shouldnt do the trade either.

Top Bottom