What's new

Bernie Williams

El Guapo

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bernie Williams has a big decision ahead.

The New York Yankees have offered the former All-Star outfielder a minor league contract and an invite to spring training.

ADVERTISEMENT

The offer was reported Wednesday on Sports Illustrated's Web site and confirmed by a baseball official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team didn't publicly disclose the offer.

"I'm waiting to hear from Bernie," Williams' agent, Scott Boras, said Wednesday. "Once I talk to him, he'll let me know what he's thinking."

The 38-year-old Williams has been with the Yankees since 1991 and has expressed a desire to remain with them. But with the team's plan to go with 12 pitchers, platoon at first base and move Jason Giambi to designated hitter, there is no spot on a 25-man roster for Williams at this point.

Johnny Damon took Williams' job as the starter in center last year, and Melky Cabrera is slated to be the fourth outfielder.

New York manager Joe Torre likes Williams' abilities, which could weigh in his favor if he does come to camp.

Williams filled in capably last season when Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield were injured, batting .281 with 12 homers and 61 RBIs.

He told The Journal News in Westchester, N.Y., last week that he has other interests in his life now that are just as important to him as baseball.

"When you give a large chunk of your life to a team, it is hard. It's not like I am a journeyman," Williams said. "When you play this game for a long time, you take things for granted and think it won't end. But the harsh reality of it is, it will."

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Bernie has his mind set on retiring as a Yankee. He should accept and go to Spring training. If he doesn't make the big club, he should retire.

Reaction score
I think its a slap in the face. The guy had a very good year in 2006 as a 4th OF. He can still be a valuable member of any team even if he isn't an all star anymore.

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think its a slap in the face. The guy had a very good year in 2006 as a 4th OF. He can still be a valuable member of any team even if he isn't an all star anymore.
I think it is a slap in the face especially after all hes done for them, the highest salary and they cant seem to at least offer the minimum. I know he is running out of steam but I think hes worth the minimum.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
i hope the best for Bernie, what a great guy he is.

i kno this is gona sound like bs to u guys, but he goes to my dads aunt church. he plays the guitar during the offseason and the Church Softball games, my uncle has some photos of them together. along wit another wit him, bernie and Joe Torre.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think its a slap in the face.
I think it's just baseball. The Yankees have been EXTREMELY loyal to Bernie. They passed up on some good opportunities to keep him in pinstripes despite steeply declining skills. That's the sort of thing that happens to older athletes that choose not to partake in performance enhancing drugs. I think Bernie needs to hang up his cleats.

Reaction score
if anyone thinks its a slap in the face then they are ignorant.

i happen to despise the yankees probablly the most on the planet, but they have done nothing but respect bernie williams through the years. hes been around for what seems like 88 years now, and his time is up. the yankees, just like any other team, have decided to move on and they did the best they could, by offering him a minor league deal. Bernie is past his prime and the yankees are wanting to move toward the future, simply put..Bernie Williams isnt the future. Soon, the same will be said of Rivera and this conversation will come up again.

if bernie knows whats good for him, he will take the offer and compete for the final roster spot, rather than join a losing team and get nowhere this year.

the yankees did not slap bernie williams in the face, they are giving him a last chance...which he is very deserving of.

MVPosey

Muckdog
Reaction score
does anyone know what the "SD6" under his signature stands for?

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
does anyone know what the "SD6" under his signature stands for?
It's actually "SDG" which is short for "Solo a Dios la Gloria" or "Glory to God alone"

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think it's a tough situation. On the one hand, Bernie's good enough to still be a productive 4 day a week player, but he won't wear another uniform.

On the other hand, the Yankees have made up their minds to DH Giambi and go with Mientkewicz and Phillips at 1st, plus Melky's still ahead of Bernie.

I think the Yankees are making a mistake with the Giambi decision and I truly believe they'd have been better off platooning Bernie/Giambi/Phillips in some form or another between DH and 1st base (not suggesting that Bernie play first, but rather that Phillips plays versus lefties while Bernie sits)...then again, I think 600 AB's from Mientkewicz and Phillips will be a detriment so much that it outweighs any positive defensive contributions over Giambi.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think 600 AB's from Mientkewicz and Phillips will be a detriment so much that it outweighs any positive defensive contributions over Giambi.
I think the Yankees are worried about Giambi's health more than his glove. When Donnie Baseball hurt his back, that basically ended his career - it just took another 5 years for him to realize it. If all it takes to keep a healthy Giambi bat in the lineup is a switch to DH, then so be it.

As far as the platoon goes, we're getting pretty deep in the OF plus we need a couple of guys as insurance or to spell Cano, ARod, and Jeter. When you take our questionable pitching rotation into account, you can see where roster spots are getting eaten up quickly. I have no problems with making Bernie COMPETE for his spot on the roster. I honestly think it will make him work harder - which has been my main beef with him for the last several years.

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score
We know by now that Bernie won't be going out on top, but I hope he gets to go out the way he wants to go out. He's a class act.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think 600 AB's from Mientkewicz and Phillips will be a detriment so much that it outweighs any positive defensive contributions over Giambi.
I think the Yankees are worried about Giambi's health more than his glove. When Donnie Baseball hurt his back, that basically ended his career - it just took another 5 years for him to realize it. If all it takes to keep a healthy Giambi bat in the lineup is a switch to DH, then so be it.

As far as the platoon goes, we're getting pretty deep in the OF plus we need a couple of guys as insurance or to spell Cano, ARod, and Jeter. When you take our questionable pitching rotation into account, you can see where roster spots are getting eaten up quickly. I have no problems with making Bernie COMPETE for his spot on the roster. I honestly think it will make him work harder - which has been my main beef with him for the last several years.

Oh I completely agree that Giambi's back and knee issues are playing a big role, but defense is also a concern too.

That's why I advocated a quasi platoon of Giambi/Phillips/Bernie between 1st base and DH. Against righties, Giambi plays first and Bernie DH's, against lefties, Giambi DH's and Phillips plays 1st. Get Giambi some form of rest, same with Bernie and develop Phillips.

Really, the way I look at it as, who'd you rather have in the lineup against right handers....Mientkewicz or Bernie.

Top Bottom