What's new

Best Owner

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Expos fans complain about ownership, how bad Loria was. Unfortunately, we have been screwed more than them in this department. We have existed 11 seasons and have had 3 owners. I pick Loria as the best one so far. Sure Wayne brought the trophy, but he did it as a blackmail for a stadium and he didn't get it. He's ruined the Marlins, Panthers, and is on his way to ruining the Dolphins. I wish he would leave us to our own. :(

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Even though it was Wayne who brought this team a championship (and tore it away), it obviously can't be him.

John told us he wanted to build a new stadium, but couldn't afford it with private funds. So when the government said they couldn't afford it, he sells the team and goes to buy the Red Sox for $600 Mill, way more than what it would have cost to just build a stadium here. So he screwed us.

Loria hasn't obviously been great, but he hasn't done anything bad to us yet. Let's hope it stays that way.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's ruined the Marlins, Panthers, and is on his way to ruining the Dolphins.
My question is if he's on his way to ruining the Dolphins who would the SoFLA fans cheer for? :mischief2

JMLinkinPark

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's ruined the Marlins, Panthers, and is on his way to ruining the Dolphins.
My question is if he's on his way to ruining the Dolphins who would the SoFLA fans cheer for? :mischief2 The D-Rays!!! :mischief2 :whistle

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
History, Tradition, It's not like the Dolphins win that much. They had some very good teams, but had more very bad teams. They also don't want to lose the season tix and have to wait in line for when they win to buy them again.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
In a recent poll, people said that after the Dolphins, they cheer for the Marlins. It came out in the south florida biz journal let me find it and i'll post it. The Panthers and Heat draw worse than the Marlins, they just don't get hit for it. The Heat has CC protecting it, and the PAnthers have a long WQAM contract to help them.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
History, Tradition, It's not like the Dolphins win that much. They had some very good teams, but had more very bad teams. They also don't want to lose the season tix and have to wait in line for when they win to buy them again.
WHAT!!!???

In the Dolphins 34 year history, they have had 5 losing seasons! And I wasn't born the last time they had one. It's not like the Dolphins win that much? Are you insane? I think in the past 30 years every franchise has had at least one season where they have had to rebuild, except for the Dolphins. To Dolphin fans, a winning season of 9-7 is horrible! That's what we call a rebuilding year.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
When was the last time the Phins won a Super Bowl? Made it past the first round of the Playoffs? The last time they played in a Super Bowl? Marino played here a long time and got no ring! CJ played here a long time and got a ring. There is a difference. The Dolphins have never had firesales, but they have not done everything needed to win (hiring jimmy johnson was not good, neither was Wanhstedt {sp?})

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
You said they have had more bad seasons than good...

Making the playoffs is a good season. They have had more good seasons in the past three decades than any other team there is...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wild Card in Football what is it 16 out of 32 teams make the playoffs, right? In baseball you have 8 out of 30, that was with a fight by Selig. Playoffs in football are more reachable, I didn't say losing seasons, I said bad teams. Last year's team was bad. The Pat game in NE pointed that out.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
12 of 32 teams make the playoffs...

And the reason why they didn't was because when Fiedler, who was 5-1 at the time, got injured. Lucas ruined what we had going, and we couldn't make up enough ground. Although at the end of it all I wanted Dave Wanny fired for his play calling in the Vikes and in the Pats games...

Back to the topic at hand...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ok, So Loria has been our best owner SO FAR! Is that sad or good? Seems good, he has had put together that winning team in Montreal (see Beinfest does good thread for that) and is trying down here with the mess Henry and Dealin' Dave left him.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
He knows there actually is a B I G sports market down here.

I saw Outside the Lines last night, and they talked about this topic. About how o be a good owner, connect with the fans, have a great team, and put a great product on the field.

I found it's pretty simple. Wayne H. is/has been doing it with the Dolphins for a while, and could have done it with the Marlins. Go out and sign a few big name players, show that you ARE committed to winning. After that is done, and you start winning, over maybe 3-7 years you start to build-up a very good, loyal fan base. Once you do that, you have fans coming to the games no matter how the team does, because they are now those Red Sox, Cubs type fans, who are complete die hards. You still should definately keep signing the big name players, and keep winning, but after a few years you start to make major profit, and start making up for the early losses you had in the first few years... Once you do build that big loyal fan base, you can kinda just coast along through every season, always making money, because you now know these new big loyal fans will always be there.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I heard Montreal was the smallest market in baseball population wise. Miami is the #17 tv market, palm beach is in the 40's and ft. myers in 70's. If they pick up orlando that would be #20 i believe.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
But S. Fla has always been one of/the most athleticaly oriented areas there is. Everyone down here is a sports fan. Everyone down here is grooming their child to be the next ML player from S. Florida.

The best 'markets' I think for baseball have to be Florida, New York, California, and Texas. I think it is some 80% of all professional athletes come from these states. They have always been the places that are into sports more than anytihng else...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
True, they gave us bad press down here because they don't want anymore growth. No planning left SoFla in problems due to overcrowding and the loss of the small town feeling.

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wayne runied the Marlins , Panthers but he make the Dolphins better , he brought Seau , Knight , Griese , etc so i dont see him making the Fins worst only reason he made the marlins bad after they won was becuase he didnt like baseball he justed wanted to win a championship with every team he owned.

marlins02

to say Huizenga is ruing the Dolphins is idiotic, you havent forgiven him for '97 and i understand that, i havent either, i cant stand the sight of the guy. but the Dolphins are competetive every year and are always mentioned as possible super bowl contenders. the biggest mistake he made was letting go of Shula and getting Johnson, that doesnt mean he's ruining the franchise. (they better get it done this year, i want to see them win it so bad)

now about the Marlins. i would say Loria even though i dont like him much. he hasnt torn a championship apart, he didnt promise to pay for a new stadium than renig on the promise and then leave us when he couldnt get the new park from the govt. like Wildcard said, Loria hasnt screwed us...yet.

Top Bottom