Muckdog
Reaction score
Billy Donovan to Orlando for $5mil per year

it's a fairly close source...

thats all I got for now

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Isn't he meant to get $4 a season from the Gators in his new deal?

I mean, it makes sense, but if you've got a real good thing in college and you're essentially building the new Duke, why would you leave for a team that's going to struggle in its own division for the next two years at least.

That crop UF has coming in could conceivably be a sweet sixteen team next year after turning over the entire roster, that's amazing.

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow...holy frijoles....this would be amazing. I was hoping they wouldn't get Donovan because college coaches don't have a good track record. But perhaps Donovan could change that.

Isn't he meant to get $4 a season from the Gators in his new deal?

I mean, it makes sense, but if you've got a real good thing in college and you're essentially building the new Duke, why would you leave for a team that's going to struggle in its own division for the next two years at least.

A new challenge, become the rare college coach that does well in the NBA, a young talented team with size and shooting, cap room, and a division that isn't that strong.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I see this nowhere else (premium boards).

Link? Source?

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I already hate the Magic since I have to deal with all the fans at UF, this would make hate them even more.

I think the offer was certainly made, but I'm not sure if Donovan would take.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Meh.

Sounds like the same recycled garbage that was around a month ago.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll have to retract some of my earlier posts.

I talk to two people on the regular that run two of the biggest independent college sites.

One is now saying that there is some smoke dealing with this situation.

If this happens, I'll gladly be Ramp's sexual slave for a period.

SlapHands69

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll have to retract some of my earlier posts as.

I talk to two people on the regular that run two of the biggest independent college sites.

One is now saying that there is some smoke dealing with this situation.

If this happens, I'll gladly be Ramp's sexual slave for a period.

My love is unconditional, I?ll do it for free Ramp :needs_a_shave

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Link? Source?
Nope.
I think Ramp's sources have more validity than the crap we get from ESPN.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
I already hate the Magic since I have to deal with all the fans at UF, this would make hate them even more.

I think the offer was certainly made, but I'm not sure if Donovan would take.

Weird, I hate UF because I had to deal with all their fans at UF. Never really ran into many Magic fans, everyone quickly became a Heat fan.

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nice move for the bank account. Not so much for the career.

Don't do it

Reaction score
May not be a bad move for Donovan. Leave while your on top. His value now is higher than it may ever be, so if he wants a shot at the nba now is the time. If not he can stay and potentially continue improving the gators program and turn them into a perennial elite like Duke.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hmph. I thought he was legit when he said he wanted to stay at Florida.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
Billy Donovan is expected to become the next coach of the Orlando Magic after he was presented with a substantial contract offer, officials with the NBA team told the Orlando Sentinel.

Donovan, 42, is coming off back-to-back NCAA titles with the Florida Gators. He was in the midst of negotiations for a contract extension at Florida when the offer arrived.

Donovan would be replacing Brian Hill, who was fired last week after back-to-back losing seasons. Two league sources had told the Sentinel on Tuesday that the Magic had been in contact with Donovan's agent, Lonnie Cooper. When asked about the job Wednesday, though, Donovan said he had not spoken with the Magic.

The University of Florida had been making plans to announce Donovan's contract extension next week. On Wednesday night, though, the Magic made a firm offer to Donovan.

Donovan would become the eighth head coach of the franchise.

The Gators beat Ohio State this spring in the national championship game for their second title in a row, but he was losing his top six players.

Donovan repeatedly has said that the NBA "intrigued him,'' but also said he was happy with the college game. Donovan has no NBA coaching experience, but he played briefly with the New York Knicks for coach Rick Pitino.

Before coming to the Gators, he was the head coach at Marshall University.

- Orlando Sentinel
Billy Donovan expected to become Orlando Magic's next coach

Top Bottom