fanfish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Julio's control still an issue in latest outing
Click-2-Listen
By Tom D'Angelo

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, April 16, 2007

ATLANTA ? The Marlins were hoping to restore Jorge Julio's confidence by pitching him in non-pressure situations.

So much for that plan.

The erstwhile closer allowed a run on four walks and a wild pitch in the sixth inning of Florida's loss to Atlanta on Sunday. He threw 38 pitches, 17 for strikes.

In 42/3 innings this season, Julio has walked 10 and struck out one. He has allowed 10 hits and seven runs. Julio's struggles have forced the Marlins to go to a closer-by-committee approach.

"We got to get him back and that's the only way, we got to keep getting him in there," manager Fredi Gonzalez said following the game. "We'll keep running him out there every situation we can, because we need to get him fixed."

Marlins pitching coach Rick Kranitz came out to talk to Julio after he went 2-0 on Jeff Francoeur. Julio walked Francoeur, scoring Kelly Johnson.

No shows: Former Marlins pitcher Joe Borowski ripped South Florida fans after the Indians drew an average of 17,488 for three "home" games in Milwaukee. At the same time, the Marlins were averaging 11,140 at Dolphin Stadium for three games against the Brewers.

"Whatever they do down there, they're never going to draw," Borowski, the Indians' closer, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "New stadium or not, they're never going to draw.

"What's the excuse last year? The way we played after an (11-31) start, to finish how we did, still nothing. They were announcing 12,000 at the game, but if you were at the game there were about 3,000 in the stands. It was a disgrace."

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm in full agreement. I think the attendance will get better with a new park, but after 15 years of the franchise, I can't see the attendance ever growing past below average, in So Fla.

Please note, I am not trashing anyone on these boards that lives in SoFla, because I have seen your support, here and at the games. But, for whatever the reason, South Florida doesn't care about the Marlins.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
OMG ANOTHER PLAYER IS SPEAKING TRUTH STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!

He isn't ripping anything. He is speaking the truth. Get over it people. Besides the diehards on this board, baseball is at the bottom of the pack when it comes to sports in this town.

Enough already with the pity routine.

OldSand

Muckdog
Reaction score
How can anyone say that attendace will still suck after 15 years? After 15 years there will be more people that knew only the Marlins, that were too young/not born in 1993. Most people here are converts.

FlummoxedLummox

Saying that South Florida will never have a consistent fan base show up to games is inaccurate. It can happen, but it would take a lot of patience on the part of the organization. As I see it, it's a four-prong solution. One: new stadium. Two: flashy free agent superstar. Three: consistent yearly commitment to performance by acquiring new talent and keeping homegrown talent. Four: actually fielding a competetive team.

Without all those elements existing together, this team will never have the following it deserves.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
25 Cleveland 81 1,814,401 22,400
26 Florida 78 1,723,105 22,091

24 Cleveland 80 1,973,185 24,664
28 Florida 80 1,823,388 22,792

25 Cleveland 81 1,998,070 24,667

The above reflects the last three years attendance comparisons. Cleveland, with the Jake, a revenue stream, a playoff team, a long tradition. Not much to crow about, Jo Bo. Oh, yea, to be fair, we had just over 14000 last year. That sucks and we all know it. What we are sensitive to is the way things are always put. Tell me, except for last year, and yes the team surprised, but it was still a fire sale year and the team was supposed to be the worst team in the history of baseball. I repeat, when people, other than us die hards, get out of the habit of going, it is easier to sit home and watch the rain delays, the talk of relocation, the talk of contraction etc. on TV. Most other fans in other cities would absolutely flock to the stadium given the negative aspects surrounding this organization.

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
100% truth. Other stadiums are drawing in crowds that have to sit in the freezing cold right now.

We are always full of excuses. The only time we draw for any sport is when the playoffs come around. We are a terrible sports town, bottom line. I love the teams, but we just don't draw, and I don't know why.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
25 Cleveland 81 1,814,401 22,400
26 Florida 78 1,723,105 22,091

24 Cleveland 80 1,973,185 24,664
28 Florida 80 1,823,388 22,792

25 Cleveland 81 1,998,070 24,667

The above reflects the last three years attendance comparisons. Cleveland, with the Jake, a revenue stream, a playoff team, a long tradition. Not much to crow about, Jo Bo. Oh, yea, to be fair, we had just over 14000 last year. That sucks and we all know it. What we are sensitive to is the way things are always put. Tell me, except for last year, and yes the team surprised, but it was still a fire sale year and the team was supposed to be the worst team in the history of baseball. I repeat, when people, other than us die hards, get out of the habit of going, it is easier to sit home and watch the rain delays, the talk of relocation, the talk of contraction etc. on TV. Most other fans in other cities would absolutely flock to the stadium given the negative aspects surrounding this organization.
Oh yea, if we did not have the fire sale, it is safe to say we would have had about the same sucky attendance as Cleveland. Not much to sing about Borowski. As Jack Nicholson said in the movie "A few Good Men". Jo Bo, I would rather you just say thank you S. Florida for giving me a chance to resurrect my career.

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
YES! I love it when ex players do this...

Now I am going to RIP the scumbag when he comes down here to play this season.. Show him what kind of fans show up to the ballgame...

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

Now I am going to RIP the scumbag when he comes down here to play this season.. Show him what kind of fans show up to the ballgame...

And he'll be able to hear you because you will only have around 8,000 people around you IN THE ENTIRE STADIUM, thereby making his point!

Get over it folks, accept reality and move on. Enough with these stupid attendance threads!

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Joe Borowski expresses the frustration the players have in reference to playing in front of an empty staduim, a new staduim would greatly change this all together. It would be trendy to go to a Marlins game again. As that happens the fanbase will increase. people will decide to turn off there TVs and go to the ballpark again. I always hated going to Dolphin Staduim even though I worked 10 minutes from there. I would have given anything to be able to take the metrorail to the games from Kendall where I lived at the time

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
who cares what he says. we all know we have attendance problems.

mcwkm

Muckdog
Reaction score
the only thing wrong with his statement is how much were those tickets in milwaukee and how much were similar seats here? i think that is just bad arguement to use.

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score

And he'll be able to hear you because you will only have around 8,000 people around you IN THE ENTIRE STADIUM, thereby making his point!

Get over it folks, accept reality and move on. Enough with these stupid attendance threads!

No doubt he'll be able to hear me, thats why I'll enjoy doing it.. I know that we have an attendance problem, Im there everynight... We all could count them by hand..

The fact is that he's in CLE now, he has no business in mentioning us anymore... The scum needs to move on and "close" games for his new team.. I hope we light him up

Cabrerafan

Muckdog
Reaction score

No doubt he'll be able to hear me, thats why I'll enjoy doing it.. I know that we have an attendance problem, Im there everynight... We all could count them by hand..

The fact is that he's in CLE now, he has no business in mentioning us anymore... The scum needs to move on and "close" games for his new team.. I hope we light him up

Exactly.

miamibaseball

Muckdog
Reaction score
what we hearing that willis and cab could be leaving soon that wont help at all if we want to see more people at game this owner need ballpark issue taking care off and STOP LETTING GOOD PLAYER GO and we might see more people at game

Top Bottom