What's new

Bounty on the Marlins last night?hmmm

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now I know alot you thought about it, well rumors have already started. According to some in the game Herny gave his team a little incentive in last night game $$$$$. The incentives range from 3 or more hits, HR's, RBI's and so on. I don't know wether to believe this or not but anything is possible with John Herny. The bottomline though this team better show some pride tonight after that embrassing display of baseball

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now I know alot you thought about it, well rumors have already started. According to some in the game Herny gave his team a little incentive in last night game $$$$$. The incentives range from 3 or more hits, HR's, RBI's and so on. I don't know wether to believe this or not but anything is possible with John Herny. The bottomline though this team better show some pride tonight after that embrassing display of baseball
Isn't it illegal to bounty (or bribe the players on your team to perform) outside of thier contracts? I thought any action outside of the contract was banned due to the Black Sox Scandal?

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with that just as I don't see anything wrong with paying players extra if they make The All Star team. IMO it's the same idea, Rewarding players for accomplishments.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with that just as I don't see anything wrong with paying players extra if they make The All Star team. IMO it's the same idea, Rewarding players for accomplishments.
All Star incentives are in the contract. This was outside the contract, if I remember correctly...the Black Sox scandal legislation removed this type of activity from the game.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
its only illegal if you get caught.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
If your calling for An Investigation for giving players A little extra, your being a little outlandish here.

Owners most likely do it all the time during Important Games or Rivalries, Hell I bet owners pay players to hit other guys intentionally.

Who cares if Damon got A Thousand Bucks to have three hits in the first inning.

All it is, Is encouraging great play and if you noticed it worked.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
If your calling for An Investigation for giving players A little extra, your being a little outlandish here.

Owners most likely do it all the time during Important Games or Rivalries, Hell I bet owners pay players to hit other guys intentionally.

Who cares if Damon got A Thousand Bucks to have three hits in the first inning.

All it is, Is encouraging great play and if you noticed it worked.
So you say that the Black Sox scandal was justified, if the only weren't caught it would be wonderful? That's what your saying Rune, the Phillies have been caught for things due to the Black Sox rules and the league has taken control of them and the owner ousted. Come on, the rules apply to everyone. If the rumors get louder an investigation will be done.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Actually I'm not your just putting words into my mouth in order to make it look like paying players for good behavior is bad just because...

You are looking for a justified answer for The Marlisn Play last night.

Actually I don't care if Owners pay players to perform well, Who is it hurting? It's not like with extra money on the line they are going to play better. It's just a motivator if that seeing that The Sums are not substancial. Unlike The Scandal seeing that The Money they were being payed were huge amounts at that time.

All star incentives are the exact same thing and yet they are legal...

Explain to me what's diffrent about that besides It's Illegal?

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Actually I'm not your just putting words into my mouth in order to make it look like paying players for good behavior is bad just because...

You are looking for a justified answer for The Marlisn Play last night.

Actually I don't care if Owners pay players to perform well, Who is it hurting? It's not like with extra money on the line they are going to play better. It's just a motivator if that seeing that The Sums are not substancial. Unlike The Scandal seeing that The Money they were being payed were huge amounts at that time.

All star incentives are the exact same thing and yet they are legal...

Explain to me what's diffrent about that besides It's Illegal?
The Marlins sucked last night Rune.

It hurts the other teams when the Red Sox were tagging up with a 16 run lead. They broke an unwritten rule. If Henry bountyed the game, then it is illegal and MLB must do what it needs to do. The reason they outlawed it is because baseball has contracts. If bountys are allowed to happen the contracts could be invalidated.

BTW, ALL STAR INCENTIVES ARE IN YOUR CONTRACT AND IN EVERY PLAYERS CONTRACT WHO TEAM PUTS IN ON.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
who cares if Henry paid the BoSox to get extra hits off us.........

our pitching sucked and some Red Sox players have some extra spending cash

good for them

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
who cares if Henry paid the BoSox to get extra hits off us.........

our pitching sucked and some Red Sox players have some extra spending cash

good for them
Ramp, I really don't care. The thing is I hate John Henry and that it is illegal and could invalidate last night's game. The BoSox would forfeit the game if they did it. The Marlins would win and the game records, like eRA and hits would be bye bye.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Once again you must answer this question...

What's The Diffrence from Paying Player's extra for good performance and paying a player extra for Making The All Star game. Basically paying him for performance.

So if you don't support What Henry did last night then you can't support paying guys for making The All Star game.

Also if you think that this is so bad I'm guessing you would be shocked to find out that it is practiced by probably almost all owners, of course not The Expo's that's a diffrent subject.

Also lay off the caps.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Once again you must answer this question...

What's The Diffrence from Paying Player's extra for good performance and paying a player extra for Making The All Star game. Basically paying him for performance.

So if you don't support What Henry did last night then you can't support paying guys for making The All Star game.

Also if you think that this is so bad I'm guessing you would be shocked to find out that it is practiced by probably almost all owners, of course not The Expo's that's a diffrent subject.

Also lay off the caps.
The All-Star Game Incentive is in the contract and agreed to before the season starts. The bounty payment is not in the contract and is considered bribery (yes i know it is strange). If it happened it is just as bad as taking a bribe to throw the game down the crapper.

I like the All-Star incentive because it is legally in the contract and it pays them for appearing in the game to represent the team.

Putting bounty on a game is not legal and is not going to be allowed. It pays them more money to do their job.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
I too like The All Star Incentive and understand why you don't like The Bribes cause it is Illegal.

But you do have to think, Why is The All Star Incentive, Legal but The Bribes are Not? Their basically from the same school of thought, Reward Great Play

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I too like The All Star Incentive and understand why you don't like The Bribes cause it is Illegal.

But you do have to think, Why is The All Star Incentive, Legal but The Bribes are Not? Their basically from the same school of thought, Reward Great Play
The All-Star incentive is a contractual benefit for working above the call of duty and being chosen to represent the team at the midsummer classic. You don't have to be at the the all star game.

You have to play for the team's regular games when called upon and being paid outside the contract in order to get a better performance for something a player is already being payed to do is wrong and illegal. Damon was already being paid to do what he did, he cannot be paid again.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
this is so dumb.

he is paying hitter's if they get extra hits........ but they still have to get the hits....

it's not that easy.

its not that big a deal

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
this is so dumb.

he is paying hitter's if they get extra hits........ but they still have to get the hits....

it's not that easy.

its not that big a deal
Ramp, The player is being payed to play the game and get the hits. There is no need to pay him an out-of-contract, behind-the-scenes incentive to get more hits against a specific team in a specific game. If this gets picked up by MLB, not even the Player's Union can interfere, it is that serious. In fact the union might go after them for devaluing their contracts.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dude, This is a common practice throughout The League.

The PA knows about this and The Members have gotten paid by Bribes like these.

This is not ground breaking stuff or it would be front page stuff.

I'll even bet you The Fish do this.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dude, This is a common practice throughout The League.

The PA knows about this and The Members have gotten paid by Bribes like these.

This is not ground breaking stuff or it would be front page stuff.

I'll even bet you The Fish do this.
It isn't common practice. If the Marlins did this (which I doubt) they should suffer the consequences.

Top Bottom