What's new

Braves trade LaRoche for Gonzalez

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I definitely like the idea of a LaRocheless Braves. The question is who is the PTBNL going to the Braves with Gonzalez.

Sources: Braves trade LaRoche to Bucs for Gonzalez
By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Pirates, filling their need for a left-handed power bat, acquired first baseman Adam LaRoche from the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday for lefty reliever Mike Gonzalez, two sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

ESPN.com could not immediately confirm if other players were involved in the deal. Neither team would comment and an announcement is not yet scheduled.

The Pirates and Braves had been discussing a LaRoche-Gonzalez swap for weeks. Pittsburgh general manager Dave Littlefield was looking to upgrade an offense that ranked last in the National League with a 141 home runs and a .397 slugging percentage.

Gonzalez should help upgrade an Atlanta bullpen that went 25-23 with a 4.39 ERA last season and blew a league-high 29 saves. Bob Wickman saved 18 games after coming over in a July trade with Cleveland, and the Braves picked up reliever Rafael Soriano from Seattle last month in a deal for starter Horacio Ramirez.

The Braves will go into 2007 with a new right side of the infield. Kelly Johnson and Martin Prado are the leading candidates to replace second baseman Marcus Giles, who signed with San Diego when the Braves declined to tender him a contract in December. Scott Thorman, who hit five homers in 128 at-bats with Atlanta last season, could replace LaRoche at first base.

The Pirates also talked to Arizona about a possible deal for Chad Tracy, and had considered Trot Nixon and several other free agents.

LaRoche hit 32 homers and drove in 90 runs last season and finished in a tie for seventh in the National League with a .561 slugging percentage.

Gonzalez went 3-4 with 24 saves and a 2.17 ERA for the Pirates in 2006.

Source-- http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2734082

MrAndMrsFish

Mr. Minor League
Reaction score
wow they finally pulled the trigger...about time this deal gets done...now i wonder if anything else was thrown the way of the Pirates....cause if not i think Atlanta got the better end of this deal

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Here is more on the trade.

Bucs agree to deal for Braves' LaRoche
Pittsburgh sending closer Gonzalez to Atlanta for power hitter
By Ed Eagle / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- After more than a month of speculation, the Pirates and Braves agreed in principle Wednesday to a deal that would send Pittsburgh closer Mike Gonzalez to Atlanta for first baseman Adam LaRoche, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

At least one prospect from each organization is also believed to be involved in the deal. The players must pass physical examinations before the trade will be officially announced by both teams.

By acquiring LaRoche, the Pirates will fulfill their primary offseason objective of landing a young, left-handed power bat for the middle of their lineup. LaRoche, 27, batted .285 with 32 home runs, 90 RBIs and an OPS of .915 last year in his third season with the Braves.

Gonzalez, 28, went 3-4 with a 2.17 ERA and converted each of his 24 save opportunities last year in his first season as a closer. There had been some concerns on the Braves' part about Gonzalez's health, because the hard-throwing southpaw was sidelined for the final month of the 2006 season by a sore left elbow.

The Gonzalez for LaRoche deal was nearly consummated during the Winter Meetings in December, but the Braves backed out of the trade when the Pirates would not add a second player to go along with Gonzalez. The two teams have remained in contact throughout the past month in an effort to come up with a transaction that was satisfactory for both sides.

Source-- http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/m...sp&c_id=pit

So far, I would say the Braves got ripped but we'll have to see what prospects were involved.

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
Oh god, Im not gona want to see a healthy Soriano and Gonzalez in that pen, marlins couldnt of snagged either of the two?

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Looks like Schuerholz may have something more up his sleeve. Just read this on a Braves board.

Just heard that an ESPN reporter stated that Gonzalez and Davies may be on their way to TB for Baldelli. I also saw something to that extent on a Yankees board as many of them think that Gonzalez will be in the Bronx by Friday.

Source-- http://www.chopnation.com/bravesboard/view...cf1c10a7aac858e

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
The prospects inolved in the trade are 23-year-old shortstop Brent Lillibridge going to the Braves and the Pirates getting 21-year-old outfielder Jamie Romak in return. Lillibridge looks good, but probably won't be ready for a couple years. Gotta give this trade to the Pirates. Should be interesting over the next few days to see if there is any truth to the rumor of Schuerholz flipping Gonzalez for an outfielder.

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
i'm not sure about this deal...i think it's even. we do improve our pen, but we lose a potent home run hitter in laroche. if we do turn over gonzalez for rocco, i will be a bit upset.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
the Braves without LaRoche sure does change things up. I'm liking that!

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really like this deal for the pirates. They need offense, Laroche will help a lot. Besides, I don't think Gonzalez was that important for the type of team they are. If they were in contention, then they would need him. But they're not and they need to build a foundation.

The braves got a bullpen arm that they really needed (dammit) , so this is a good trade for both sides. They both benefited from this deal, they're both the winners of this transaction.

QuickGold

Muckdog
Reaction score
On principle, I don't like trading hitting for pitching (or vice-versa)

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lillibridge could be the best player in this deal as soon as next season...and he could be starting Opening Day. More brilliance from Scheurholtz

Ralph

Muckdog
Reaction score
Braves also signed Craig Wilson to platoon with Thorman or maybe one of these two start in LF.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
Braves also signed Craig Wilson to platoon with Thorman or maybe one of these two start in LF.

and the guy is going to fill in just fine.

Scheurholtz really knows how to improve his team

Markickass21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the Braves hate Adam LaRoche so much? From his stats he looks like a quality first baseman.

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the Braves hate Adam LaRoche so much? From his stats he looks like a quality first baseman.

last may on mother's day, he made one of the dumbest errors ever, waltzing to first base for the potential third out while nick johnson hustled to first and was safe, when laroche clearly would have beaten him out if he gave a bit of effort. four runs scored before the third out was recorded, and taking the braves out of the game. that is a source of alot of bashing for him and a rough first half with him striking out alot. after the blunder, the add issue went public (explains why he looks dazed in his batting stance) and pretty much there are two camps of braves fans regarding laroche: you love him or hate him. the bashing went quiet after the monster second half he had, but they are still out there.

Markickass21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thank you.......... right after i posted that i remembered that incident.

Yeah he wasn't doing too hot but his numbers really went up....... i know they signed wilson for a year but do the braves have some hotshot 1b prospect or something to take his place?

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
thorman is supposedly to platoon with wilson, and salty may be converted into a first baseman from catcher, seeing that mccann is going to be the franchise catcher.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
On principle, I don't like trading hitting for pitching (or vice-versa)
Usually, I'd agree with you but that Braves bullpen needs serious help. And they're getting a quality pitcher with Gonzalez. I'm just wondering if they're going to put him and middle relief or leave him where he was with Pittsburgh, at closer.

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
wickman's closing for us. so he will most likely be a set up man this season unless wickman gets injured.

Top Bottom