What's new

Brewers give Redman props

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
credit:jsonline.com/sports

Miami - After enjoying four days of balmy temperatures and south Florida sunshine, the Milwaukee Brewers boarded a charter flight Thursday night and headed for Atlanta, where they were to encounter chilly, rainy conditions that are expected to stick around Friday.

Just what they needed . . . another wicked changeup.

Florida starter Mark Redman, a hulking 6-foot 5-inch, 245-pound left-hander who used what Brewers leftfielder Geoff Jenkins called "the best changeup I've ever seen," shut down Milwaukee and helped the Marlins cap a three-game sweep with a 4-2 victory before 9,069 fans at Pro Player Stadium.

"He just pitched the game of his life," Brewers third baseman Keith Ginter said of Redman (2-2), whose 130-pitch complete game included four hits, one walk and a personal record 11 strikeouts.

"He's probably never had a changeup that good before. He was throwing it on the outer and inner half of the plate. It was changeup, changeup, changeup - then he'd zip a fastball in there - changeup, changeup.

"He beat us with two pitches, basically. It was a frustrating night for everybody."

Brewers first baseman Richie Sexson enjoyed it a little more than others. Sexson had three hits, including a pair of doubles.

"Even Richie was out on his front foot a little bit, but he's so big and strong that he had enough leverage to get the ball out there," Ginter said.

Sexson drove in one run, scored the other on a sacrifice fly by Brady Clark and left the park with admiration for Redman.

"It just goes to show you that you don't have to throw hard if you hit your spots," he said.

Eric Young, who hits in the No. 2 spot ahead of Sexson, had a walk and a single. Ginter, who was hit by a pitch in the fourth, was the only other Milwaukee batter to reach base.

"That was a classic left-handed pitcher," said Brewers manager Ned Yost, whose team was swept in a three-game series for the first time since starting the season 0-6. "He was really working the accelerator, back and forth. We couldn't get a grasp on what he was doing."

Redman, who has thrown four complete games in his career, has worked 322/3 innings this year and recorded 33 strikeouts. He got Jenkins and Clark to end the sixth with a man on third.

"I'm not going to lead the majors," Redman said, referring to strikeouts. "That's not my style of pitching."

Brewers starter Todd Ritchie gave up three extra-base hits in a three-run second, then served up a solo homer on a 1-2 changeup to Juan Encarnacion in the third.

"That was a bad pitch," Ritchie said. "I shook off (catcher Keith Osik's sign) to get to that, too."

Ritchie, who has been bothered by fatigue in his shoulder, settled down in his final two innings and gave way to Matt Kinney, who kept Florida off the board the rest of the night.

"I wouldn't say I felt the strongest I've ever felt, but I had enough to get the job done," Ritchie said. "I just didn't do it tonight."

Ritchie had some company in that regard. The Brewers failed to bring home runners from third base with one out twice and went down in order five times.

"We had a chance to win all three games here and we didn't win any," Yost said. "We just needed to win one or two of those games to get us on a bit of a roll. But we didn't. So, now we go to Atlanta and start over."

Pudgebobudge

Muckdog
Reaction score
WHATA they know.... :mischief2 ....JUST ask dime he'll show them all off

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
It would have never happen if torborg done these,

Torborg came close to removing Redman for a pinch-hitter with two on in the sixth inning. But Torborg sent Andy Fox back to the bench.

"Just a gut feeling we wanted to stay with him,'' Torborg said (He better go with that gut feeling more often)

Top Bottom