What's new

Bullpen Idea...

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
This idea has been floating around this board in different posts, but I'd like to formalize it here. With the bullpen last in the NL in ERA at 5.86 (?) and Neal and Nunez being demoted can the Marlins do anything else to bolster this weakness? Pudge is having above average numbers for a catcher so far this season, but I'm not sure he will have teams drooling over him in the offseason. If we could get him signed to an extension we could trade Red or Ramon for some bullpen help. There has got to be someone willing to deal out there for who are probably two of the best backup catchers in the NL. It's early so my thinking is not clear on this issue so I'll have more later.

:plain

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge will ONLY stay if the Marlins contend in June and he feels the team(PLAYERS) and the organization will do everything take this team to the next level.(which i feel they are so close)

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
If we could get him signed to an extension we could trade Red or Ramon for some bullpen help.
Yea im with you on trading one of our catchers and most likely it will be Mike Redmond since he has more Experience and has hit well last year. He is a really good backup/starter for any team looking for a catcher. Hopefully we will make that deal because we really need some bullpen help!

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I doubt Pudge would sign an extension during the season. He made it clear he wants to test the free-agent market and made us agree that we wouldnt offer him arbitration.

Reaction score
No, don't trade RED!. 1) I think he has a good relationship with Torborg, who was also an overachieving catcher. 2) I think RED is great chemistry for the team. He works well with are young studs and knows the game very well. 3) I would say Castro would have more trade value. I remember 2 years ago before the 2000 season after we acquired CJ we had a problem at catcher. CJ was going to start, RED had established himself as a good backup, and Castro was long overdue for the majors. (By the way I feel bad for Ramon Castro, the past 3 seasons he could be starting for other teams but, is a 3rd catcher for us) We were looking to trade Castro since there were a few teams interested. I still feel he has good value. A good defensive catcher with above average pop could help out a lot of teams. Also, I believe he is younger than RED. Plus, I think RED could be a great manager for the Marlins in say 15 years.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
No no no. you have to trade Red. Ramon isn't a proven starter, Red is, which means he will have more value. Castro is our catcher for the future, so he isn't going anywhere. He could hit 20+ HR and . 280+ someday for us. And I think next off-season, Pudge will realize that he isn't going to get much, and will probablyy going to comeback.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
No they want Todd Pratt :mischief

I can see a couple teams who could want Red...

The Braves do come to mind it's not like your giving them a superstar so I think that takes away The people who say you don't trade to a division rival. They could dump Lopez and Blanco and platoon those two at Catcher.

The fish could get someone like Bong or one of their releivers

Top Bottom