What's new

BULLPEN.

The_Punisher

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know we still have some pending rumors like the Benitez, Chan Ho and the Alfonseca, but if the season started today, what do you guys think the bullpen would look like?

Guys I like:

Koplove, Gregg, Tank.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
if the season started today the marlins will have a mess in the bullpen

bring in those spring training invitees FAST

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Tank, Gregg, Pinto, Owens, Lindstrom, Messenger and one open spot...Maybe Mitre ( I hope he is gone by then, He doesn't want to relieve)

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
Tank, Gregg, Pinto, Owens, Lindstrom, Messenger and one open spot...Maybe Mitre ( I hope he is gone by then, He doesn't want to relieve)
if Messenger is on the roster next season, there is no way we could not call this offseason a complete failure.

Reaction score
if Messenger is on the roster next season, there is no way we could not call this offseason a complete failure.
lol
I kinda have to agree though. I would rather see less (or none) of Messenger until he makes some significant improvements.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score

I would hope that we are smart and don't put Mitre in the pen where he is obviously uncomfortable. He would make a fine number 5 starter and do about as well as Nolasco as my opinion, and Nolasco will do well in the pen. Having Mitre in the pen is simply a waste of talent and roster space because his style just doesn't work there.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score

I would hope that we are smart and don't put Mitre in the pen where he is obviously uncomfortable. He would make a fine number 5 starter and do about as well as Nolasco as my opinion, and Nolasco will do well in the pen. Having Mitre in the pen is simply a waste of talent and roster space because his style just doesn't work there.
can we just get rid of him all together and give the 5th spot in the rotation to one of the oodles of prospects that we have...i mean come on...its not like this team wastes their minor league depth...i would be shocked to see mitre come march...he has throw-in in a deal written all over him

The_Punisher

Muckdog
Reaction score
Am I missing something here, or didn't we trade messenger? Or am I confusing him with somebody? Wasn't he part of the Bostick trade?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
As I understand it, even when Mitre came back during the late summer he was still injured. His work out of the pen can no more considered a judge of his potential than Jacobs playing on a stress-fractured ankle from spring training on (see recent Perry Hill comments on Jacobs). They reactivated him on about August 14th, he was used seven times for a total of six innings and by the last day of the month was done for the season.

I have no idea how good or bad a pitcher he is/was but what I do know is it's impossble to come to any conclusions based on what we saw last season. Let's hope he's healed by the time pitchers and catchers report and we can see what a healthy Sergio Mitre can do, and then decide whether he's worth a roster spot or not, and if the answer is yes, whether he should be pitching in the rotation or out of the pen.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Am I missing something here, or didn't we trade messenger? Or am I confusing him with somebody? Wasn't he part of the Bostick trade?

You're thinking of Chris Resop. I WISH we could have given them MESSenger instead...

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score

You're thinking of Chris Resop. I WISH we could have given them MESSenger instead...

Wrong.

It was VARGAS and Bostick.

Resop went west for Gregg.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score

Wrong.

It was VARGAS and Bostick.

Resop went west for Gregg.

I apologize.

Too many trades... Too many names...

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
Let Garcia try the 5th spot and give Nalasco the closer spot.

That's give us:

Nalasco, Tank, Petit, Pinto, Owens, Spring Training Invitee

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
As I understand it, even when Mitre came back during the late summer he was still injured. His work out of the pen can no more considered a judge of his potential than Jacobs playing on a stress-fractured ankle from spring training on (see recent Perry Hill comments on Jacobs). They reactivated him on about August 14th, he was used seven times for a total of six innings and by the last day of the month was done for the season.

I have no idea how good or bad a pitcher he is/was but what I do know is it's impossble to come to any conclusions based on what we saw last season. Let's hope he's healed by the time pitchers and catchers report and we can see what a healthy Sergio Mitre can do, and then decide whether he's worth a roster spot or not, and if the answer is yes, whether he should be pitching in the rotation or out of the pen.
May be true with the injury which hurts Mitre's RP numbers with those awful 6 innings, but I think there is a trend between starting/relieving that's already forming

Nolasco 2006
Starting 4.96 era, 1.43 whip, 6.04 K/9, .290 BAA, 19 HR in 120.2 IP (1.41 HR/9)
Relieving 3.98 era, 1.28 whip, 7.96 K/9, .263 BAA, 1 HR in 20.1 IP (.44 HR/9)

Mitre (05-06)
Starting 5.06 era, 1.38 whip, 5.40 K/9, .270 BAA, 10 HR in 78.1 IP (1.15 HR/9)
Relieving 7.04 era, 1.78 whip, 8.21 K/9, .253 BAA, 8 HR in 23 IP (3.13 HR/9)

My pen given lack of external options is Nolasco, Tank, Gregg, Pinto, J. Garcia, Owens, and camp competition between Messenger/Field/Koplove/etc for the last spot.

We'd be better served making Nolasco a RP even if he has the ability to start (see Heilman, Madson), regardless if we go and acquire Armando, or sign someone like Hermansen/Park or even Alfonseca. Let Mitre initially throw the 5 because nothing suggests Nolasco will seriously out preform him in that SP role, wheres there isn't a contest between the relieving where Nolasco might be really good. Likewise, J. Garcia, Petit, and I'm guessing Gaby Hernandez by the all star break, all could have the ability to replace Mitre if he absolutely stinks over his first dozen starts. Let alone Nolasco himself.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
You're getting ahead of yourself (collectively) because no one knows if Mitre in fact can pitch, which was my point.

Besides, we (fans) don't know how long early in the season he did pitch with the injury. I would say you have to throw out all of 2006, too many uknown factors.

If you look at his 2006 gamelog (and I'm not going back this second to check it) but if I remember his last outing he gave up four ER without recording an out. That in itself will drive anyone who only threw 41+ innings for the entire year through the roof but in Mitre's case it was the second time that month (August 2006) he got shelled. Earlier he gave up three ER without recording an out in his second or third (or fifth I don't remember) outing after coming off the DL, so there's seven ER, coming off the DL without a recorded out. It was after that relief appearance the Marlins shut him down for good.

Obviously he was hurt.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
and his first relief outing(LA I think), he had the same issues

needless to say he was rushed back(big swing and a miss by the FO on that front)

Reaction score
can we just get rid of him all together and give the 5th spot in the rotation to one of the oodles of prospects that we have...i mean come on...its not like this team wastes their minor league depth...i would be shocked to see mitre come march...he has throw-in in a deal written all over him
Prospects are prospects for a reason - most of them aren't ready.
Mitre would be an ok 5th starter. Not the most consistent guy, but he has his moments. With decent defense & run support + a serviceable bullpen, he would be fine.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mitre would be an ok 5th starter. Not the most consistent guy, but he has his moments. With decent defense & run support + a serviceable bullpen, he would be fine.
Mitre didn't do a thing last year before or after the injury to merit him keeping a job on this roster. Trade him...sell him...release him...anything let's just be free of him

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mitre didn't do a thing last year before or after the injury to merit him keeping a job on this roster. Trade him...sell him...release him...anything let's just be free of him

Gee, wouldn't it be more rational to wait until he's healthy and evaluate him then?

Top Bottom