What's new

C Webb

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2726276

PHILADELPHIA -- The next time Chris Webber suits up for an NBA game, it likely won't be as a 76er.

Webber appears on his way out of Philadelphia as the team prepares to finalize details of a contract buyout that, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, could be completed as soon as Wednesday.

The reported deal would provide the 76ers with some salary cap and luxury tax relief and comes on the heels of the trade that sent guard Allen Iverson to the Denver Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two first-round picks. Webber was expected to travel with the Sixers for Wednesday night's game in New York.

Webber, who turns 34 in March, is listed on the team's salary cap at $20.7 million this season and $22.3 million in 2007-08.

While Webber reportedly has confirmed the buyout talk, coach Maurice Cheeks said the player has continued to go about his business in a positive way.

"Chris has been as professional as he can be around the players helping the young guys, trying to teach them certain things," Cheeks said Tuesday.

Tuesday night, Webber sat out Philadelphia's 98-89 loss to Detroit officially with foot and ankle injuries, the 10th game he's missed in the last 13. He is a free agent after this season and would be required to give back less than $5 million to the Sixers in a buyout, a source told the Daily News.

The 76ers (9-25) have the worst record in the Eastern Conference.

Webber was acquired by the Sixers from Sacramento in February 2005 as part of a six-player deal. He has been derailed by right ankle and foot injuries this season, appearing in only 18 of 34 games. He is averaging 11.0 points and 8.3 rebounds in 30.2 minutes and had career averages of 21.6 points and 10.1 rebounds entering this season.

All the early speculation I'm hearing is that Miami would be a great place for him.

MVPosey

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2726276

PHILADELPHIA -- The next time Chris Webber suits up for an NBA game, it likely won't be as a 76er.

Webber appears on his way out of Philadelphia as the team prepares to finalize details of a contract buyout that, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, could be completed as soon as Wednesday.

The reported deal would provide the 76ers with some salary cap and luxury tax relief and comes on the heels of the trade that sent guard Allen Iverson to the Denver Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two first-round picks. Webber was expected to travel with the Sixers for Wednesday night's game in New York.

Webber, who turns 34 in March, is listed on the team's salary cap at $20.7 million this season and $22.3 million in 2007-08.

While Webber reportedly has confirmed the buyout talk, coach Maurice Cheeks said the player has continued to go about his business in a positive way.

"Chris has been as professional as he can be around the players helping the young guys, trying to teach them certain things," Cheeks said Tuesday.

Tuesday night, Webber sat out Philadelphia's 98-89 loss to Detroit officially with foot and ankle injuries, the 10th game he's missed in the last 13. He is a free agent after this season and would be required to give back less than $5 million to the Sixers in a buyout, a source told the Daily News.

The 76ers (9-25) have the worst record in the Eastern Conference.

Webber was acquired by the Sixers from Sacramento in February 2005 as part of a six-player deal. He has been derailed by right ankle and foot injuries this season, appearing in only 18 of 34 games. He is averaging 11.0 points and 8.3 rebounds in 30.2 minutes and had career averages of 21.6 points and 10.1 rebounds entering this season.

All the early speculation I'm hearing is that Miami would be a great place for him.
Why would you want him? The guys a cancer...

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ira Winderman was on the radio yesterday talking about how Webber really doesn't make much sense for the Heat.

I thought he was pretty much right. Maybe he's a little better than Walker (he's clearly not better than Haslem), but he doesn't defend well, and is an injury waiting to happen.

He then said the Knicks will probably buy out Steve Francis, and that the Heat with their problems at PG might want to look at that. Well, I don't know how I feel about Francis, but there's no question we need help at PG.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
i'd say miami is on the back end of this deal.

he is probably going back out west.

probably to phoenix, dallas or san antonio.

FishFanInPA

YES!!!!! Closer to Greg Oden!!!!

Seriously, Peter Vescey floated the rumor that Francis is going to the sixers since he likes Admin Brown.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
Come to L.A. Our inside is a M.A.S.H unit right now.

TarHeel324

Muckdog
Reaction score
Watch Oden not come out this year. I would love it.
He'd be very stupid to not leave, but then again I thought the same about Joakim Noah

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
Chris Webber. Yuck. I PRAY that he DOES NOT end up in a Heat uniform. Overrated, overpaid, and injury prone. No thanks.

Reaction score
Chris Webber. Yuck. I PRAY that he DOES NOT end up in a Heat uniform. Overrated, overpaid, and injury prone. No thanks.
I dont think he would be over paid once he signs with another team.

How does this effect the Sixers salary cap. Does he come off the books after this season? Or does he come off the books after next season? Or is he off the books immediately?

The_Punisher

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't want Chris Webber but I'd sure take Steve Francis in a heart beat!

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dont think he would be over paid once he signs with another team.

How does this effect the Sixers salary cap. Does he come off the books after this season? Or does he come off the books after next season? Or is he off the books immediately?

Well, he's not overpaid anymore because Philadelphia bought him out, but the fact that he was to earn something like $42 mil between this season and next season makes me want to throw up.

Libelula

Muckdog
Reaction score
You got one out of three. Like others have said, he won't be overpaid. And he was never overrated. He was great in his prime and injuries slowed him down a lot. With that said, I'll pass. We don't need another jump shooting big man. (Doleac, Walker, Haslem.)

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
You got one out of three. Like others have said, he won't be overpaid. And he was never overrated. He was great in his prime and injuries slowed him down a lot. With that said, I'll pass. We don't need another jump shooting big man. (Doleac, Walker, Haslem.)

I have to say I'll take Webber over Walker. It would nice if Miami could buy out Antoine. :thumbdown

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
Webber's shortlist as reported on ESPNEWS:

Miami
Detroit
Dallas
San Antonio
Los Angeles Lakers

MikeLowell

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Webber in Miami. He may not be in the prime of his career anymore but he is still solid. I have no idea where Walker and Posey would end up on our deepth chart though if Kapono continues to start.

Maybe we could move Posey to SG to backup Wade? Just a thought.

Williams/Payton
Wade/Posey
Kapono/Wright/Walker
Haslem/Webber
Shaq(When he comes back)/Zo

I have no idea.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Webb gets here, there is no doubt in my mind that Posey and/or Walker would be gone.

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
Posey is solid. Good defender, reliable 3 point shooter. If the Heat gets rid of him before they get rid of Antoine Walker I'm gonna be PISSED.

Top Bottom