What's new

Cabrera frustrated?

canada-marlin24

Muckdog
Reaction score
well accoridng to sun-sentinel Cabs is actually quite pissed off that the team is taking him to arbitration and that is why he had skipped the fan fest!!

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I just saw it too but I was looking for something else and passed by it. And if I remember it was alledged to be the case.

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was watching Sports Sunday on Channel 10 and Will Manso and Jimmy Cefalo were discussing the FO's displeasure with Miggy. Will said first that he didn't like Samson calling Miggy out in public but "we know Samson loves to hear himself talk." Jimmy agreed with that. They both agreed that Miggy should have attended as they didn't see the point in punishing the fans. Then Will said "Miguel Cabrera is a very aloof guy...let's just leave it at that." Jimmy said "that's kind."

Bottom line is that Samson's love for opening his mouth brings bad press and consequences. It was completely unnecessary.

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score
Edited the thread title.

And please post a link.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cabrera's absence irks team officials

By Juan C. Rodriguez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted February 11 2007

MIAMI GARDENS -- Miguel Cabrera was AWOL this week as his teammates trudged from sports bars to bank branches promoting the 2007 Florida Marlins.

His bosses are not happy.

Team President David Samson and General Manager Admin Beinfest both called out Cabrera for ditching the team's caravan. Samson's remarks from the podium at the $200-a-plate awards dinner Friday included a mention of Cabrera's absence.

Cabrera was to be presented with the team's Most Valuable Player award. Rather than applaud as he made his way on stage, attendees directed their appreciation toward a video montage on two giant screens.

Before departing the third annual event, which raises money for the Florida Marlins Community Foundation, Beinfest said: "We're disappointed. He should be here with his teammates. He said he had personal things to do. That's all we know."

Samson reiterated his displeasure with Cabrera during Saturday's caravan-culminating FanFest at Dolphin Stadium. According to a source that has spoken with Cabrera's camp, a $700,000 difference of opinion in what Cabrera should earn this season is prompting his actions.

The Marlins and Cabrera will put the matter in the hands of arbiters Friday.

"If there is a legitimate reason why he's not here, we haven't heard it," said Samson, adding he intends to address the matter with Cabrera in Arizona before the hearing. "He was the team MVP last year and he wasn't here to accept his award. He calls himself and he's acknowledged as one of the leaders of the team, so [owner]Jeffrey [Loria] and I and the team are very disappointed he wasn't here."

Attempts to reach Cabrera and his agent Saturday were unsuccessful. Cabrera is in his native Venezuela, but he is due back in South Florida on Monday.

Samson said Cabrera responded to the team's repeated requests to participate this week with "a pretty consistent no."

He added: "We have been talking to him and his representative trying to explain the importance of him being here and that every one of his teammates would be here, and he just did not come."

More than two-thirds of the 37 players on the 40-man roster attended Friday's event. Beinfest said Alfredo Amezaga and Renyel Pinto, both of whom recently wrapped up their winter ball seasons, were excused but would take part in promotional activities next week.

Except for Cabrera, the most noteworthy roster players absent Friday were Yusmeiro Petit and Jason Stokes.

"It's been a bonding experience for the team," Samson said.

Cabrera and the Marlins won't do much bonding Friday, when they go before an arbitration panel that will determine his 2007 salary. Cabrera is seeking $7.4 million and the Marlins submitted a $6.7 million figure.

"It's an absolute non-event," Samson said. "Of course it should not be an excuse. ... Miguel's arbitration case is whether he gets paid a lot of money or a lot of money. Those are the two choices. I have a lot of respect for what he does on and off the field, which is why it's even more disappointing that he wasn't here."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

That last part bothers the hell out of me. Amezaga and Pinto ask for time off, they get an excuse because of winter ball, and it's swept under the rug and they're not only absent, but in Samson's eyes, they're present given his "everyone of his teammates was here" comments.

Miggy asks for time off, plays in winter ball, and now gets dragged through the mud. For better or worse, he's Manny Ramirez 2.0, just give him his space, understand that he's a moody person and just expect him to show up every day and play well. Once he stops showing up for games, then I'll care, until then Samson's big mouth and double standard need to just go away.

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score
Miggy and Pinto were on the same winter team. Samson's a douche for making that statement. The logic does not follow.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I loved this:

"It's an absolute non-event," Samson said. "Of course it should not be an excuse. ... Miguel's arbitration case is whether he gets paid a lot of money or a lot of money. Those are the two choices. I have a lot of respect for what he does on and off the field, which is why it's even more disappointing that he wasn't here."

Shut your pie hole and lets start opening up wallets and performing like a major league franchise.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was sitting there in the audience and I was like "what a douche".-- Samson being the douche, not Cabs(even if he still should have been at fan fest)

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I loved this:

Shut your pie hole and lets start opening up wallets and performing like a major league franchise.

You know, you say the same thing every day a hundred times a day :banghead

I think the difference is Amezega and Pinto played in CWS while Cabrera did not, that's why they were given a few extra days off. I actually think he may be more pissed about that than anything else. I don;t really think it's the money, SFX is going to market the heck out of him and that $700k one way or the other won't matter in the big picture when endorsement money starts rolling in.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I loved this:

I think the difference is Amezega and Pinto played in CWS while Cabrera did not, that's why they were given a few extra days off. I actually think he may be more pissed about that than anything else. I don;t really think it's the money, SFX is going to market the heck out of him and that $700k one way or the other won't matter in the big picture when endorsement money starts rolling in.

The 700k means nothing.

The real issue is that Miguel needs to be locked up long term like any other sane organization does.

While they may save 700k now, they lose millions upon millions by waiting to sign him and his value goes higher and higher.

I dont really know what Miguel's representatives have to do with the Florida Marlins organization, specifiically their ownership being the cheapest ownership in all of professional sports. Bar none. Its not like baseball is losing money or struggling to break even.

The Marlins make millions upon millions before selling 1 ticket.

7 billion in overall revenues will do that for you afterall.

This poverty crap is an old and tired game and the majority of people are too dumb to realize it.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
That last part bothers the hell out of me. Amezaga and Pinto ask for time off, they get an excuse because of winter ball, and it's swept under the rug and they're not only absent, but in Samson's eyes, they're present given his "everyone of his teammates was here" comments.

Miggy asks for time off, plays in winter ball, and now gets dragged through the mud. For better or worse, he's Manny Ramirez 2.0, just give him his space, understand that he's a moody person and just expect him to show up every day and play well. Once he stops showing up for games, then I'll care, until then Samson's big mouth and double standard need to just go away.
Why would it bother you? One of the reasons Miggy is paid they way he will be is that he attracts fans. Pinto and Amezaga don't attract fans, let alone media attention, that is behind the Fan Fest.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score

Why would it bother you? One of the reasons Miggy is paid they way he will be is that he attracts fans. Pinto and Amezaga don't attract fans, let alone media attention, that is behind the Fan Fest.
LIES! Amezaga IS the marlins.

Amezaga for America in '08!

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

Miggy was the team MVP last year. Another reason he should have attended. Miggy is a leader on this team. Another reason he should have attended. It goes far deeper than him being a fan favorite that puts a few fannies in the seats.
I think it is more SFX than it is Miggy. And my bet is that they will be in his ear telling him not to sign anything until he can file for FA so he can become the newest highest paid player in the history of MLB. Most will blame the Marlins for that, especially those that WANT to blame the Marlins. But it will be his represntatives that will be behind it.
Of course Miggy is a different type person with a huge ego. Remember the episodes of a couple years bacK? Combine that personality with a hard balling agency and trouble is in the works.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
I loved this:

Not true. Pinto was not allowed to play. Don't think Amezega did, either.

marlinsfan75

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cabrera's absence irks team officials

By Juan C. Rodriguez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted February 11 2007

MIAMI GARDENS -- Miguel Cabrera was AWOL this week as his teammates trudged from sports bars to bank branches promoting the 2007 Florida Marlins.

His bosses are not happy.

Team President David Samson and General Manager Admin Beinfest both called out Cabrera for ditching the team's caravan. Samson's remarks from the podium at the $200-a-plate awards dinner Friday included a mention of Cabrera's absence.

Cabrera was to be presented with the team's Most Valuable Player award. Rather than applaud as he made his way on stage, attendees directed their appreciation toward a video montage on two giant screens.

Before departing the third annual event, which raises money for the Florida Marlins Community Foundation, Beinfest said: "We're disappointed. He should be here with his teammates. He said he had personal things to do. That's all we know."

Samson reiterated his displeasure with Cabrera during Saturday's caravan-culminating FanFest at Dolphin Stadium. According to a source that has spoken with Cabrera's camp, a $700,000 difference of opinion in what Cabrera should earn this season is prompting his actions.

The Marlins and Cabrera will put the matter in the hands of arbiters Friday.

"If there is a legitimate reason why he's not here, we haven't heard it," said Samson, adding he intends to address the matter with Cabrera in Arizona before the hearing. "He was the team MVP last year and he wasn't here to accept his award. He calls himself and he's acknowledged as one of the leaders of the team, so [owner]Jeffrey [Loria] and I and the team are very disappointed he wasn't here."

Attempts to reach Cabrera and his agent Saturday were unsuccessful. Cabrera is in his native Venezuela, but he is due back in South Florida on Monday.

Samson said Cabrera responded to the team's repeated requests to participate this week with "a pretty consistent no."

He added: "We have been talking to him and his representative trying to explain the importance of him being here and that every one of his teammates would be here, and he just did not come."

More than two-thirds of the 37 players on the 40-man roster attended Friday's event. Beinfest said Alfredo Amezaga and Renyel Pinto, both of whom recently wrapped up their winter ball seasons, were excused but would take part in promotional activities next week.

Except for Cabrera, the most noteworthy roster players absent Friday were Yusmeiro Petit and Jason Stokes.

"It's been a bonding experience for the team," Samson said.

Cabrera and the Marlins won't do much bonding Friday, when they go before an arbitration panel that will determine his 2007 salary. Cabrera is seeking $7.4 million and the Marlins submitted a $6.7 million figure.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

I agree with you on the last part. The more this goes on the more I think of Manny. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be a bad thing.

FlummoxedLummox

My problem with this whole situation is that the Marlins could have dodged this bullet last year by buying out his arbitration years like 75% of the members of this forum suggested. We, a group of baseball lay-people, had better foresight on this issue than an organization of baseball professionals. These are not dumb people; they know the reality of contract negotiation. They know that more often than not, it's an embittering experience for both sides. There is a reason that the "smart" clubs do it.

But perhaps my pain and frustration would be somewhat mitigated if they show an ability to learn from the situtation, by offering a contract to Hanley which covers his arbitration years. Maybe it will happen, but I doubt it.

For all the people who were against the arbitration buy-out, arguing that arbitration benefitted small market teams and there was therefore no reason to do it, I present this situation as evidence to the contrary. It's bad for the relationship between the two parties, but more importantly its bad for public perception. And for an organization that hangs on to a fanbase by its fingernails, they cannot afford any additional smirches on its public relations practices.

Top Bottom