What's new

Cardinals sign Preston Wilson to one year, $1 mil deal

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cards, Wilson agree to $1 million, one-year deal
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Outfielder Preston Wilson agreed Monday to a $1 million, one-year contract with the Cardinals after helping St. Louis win its first World Series title in 24 years.

The 32-year-old, who can make an additional $500,000 in performance bonuses, hit .243 with eight homers and 17 RBIs in 32 games with the Cardinals after signing as a free agent in August. Wilson, who started the season with Houston, had a combined 17 homers and 72 RBIs.

In his first postseason appearance, Wilson was the Cardinals' primary left fielder and appeared in 13 games -- including all five games in the World Series. He batted .200 in 35 at-bats with two RBIs in the postseason, and had the go-ahead double in Game 5 of the NL Championship Series.

Wilson figures to give the Cardinals outfield depth at all three spots and provides insurance behind Chris Duncan, who hit 22 homers in about a half-season as a rookie. Wilson and the left-handed hitting Duncan platooned much of the time.

Wilson's best season was in 2003, when he had 36 homers and 141 RBIs for the Colorado Rockies.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
source

One year, one mil. We should have considered him a little bit more.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
good for him.

too bad preston is pretty much done.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's the fifth (depth-wise) outfielder for godsake's. He can't play everyday and definitiely can't play center in anything other than an emergency/fill-in basis. I'm happy he got a shot with the Cards but I just can't see him on this team playing CF everyday.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
can't believe he's only getting a million. We should of pursued him, would of been a good pickup.

Skully

Muckdog
Reaction score
When you look at our options, I think Preston would have looked like a pretty good signing at $1 mil for one season. I'm not saying I would have wanted to see him in CF every day, but it would have given us more options. As of right now, I don't think any of our candidates would do much better (Ross, Borchard, Amezaga, Abercrombie, and Reed)... Of all those guys, I hope Ross gets a shot at starting out there....

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would rather have Bernie Williams than anything the Marlins have right now.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not saying Preston Wilson's good, or has a lot left in the tank, but for one year $1 million, I think it's pretty safe to say he'd be a fair bet to outproduce Aaron Boone in any role, and he'd represent a sizeable upgrade over anything we'd trot out in center...

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would have taken a 1 million dollar flyer on wilson. Its really not a big risk at all.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I would have taken a 1 million dollar flyer on wilson. Its really not a big risk at all.

it is when you are a fan of the cheapest team in baseball in decades.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score

it is when you are a fan of the cheapest team in baseball in decades.

No reason to argue cheapness for the Marlins passing on Preston.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Preston Wilson @ one year/$1 million > anything we had in CF last year.

Im sure someone will say that he's not worth $1 million. News flash: We know.

But that's what players like Preston Wilson cost in this day and age.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Heck of a bargain for the Cards...Hey I bet Beinfest would have loved him at that price

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I would rather have the crap we have right now than Preston anyway.

Preston is done and at 1 million is overpaid.

We can get better production for the minimum.

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not saying Preston Wilson's good, or has a lot left in the tank, but for one year $1 million, I think it's pretty safe to say he'd be a fair bet to outproduce Aaron Boone in any role, and he'd represent a sizeable upgrade over anything we'd trot out in center...

Totally agree with you... I didnt want Wilson but sh*t for 1 Mil? Thats a steal....even with all his damn strikeouts

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score

Totally agree with you... I didnt want Wilson but sh*t for 1 Mil? Thats a steal....even with all his damn strikeouts
If they get Shannon I wouldnt mind this letting go

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ross and Borchard serve the same role and have a chance (a very slight one, but more than Wilson) of being productive starting centerfielder this year and in the future. Oh, and for a third of the price and without guaranteed major league contracts.

Top Bottom