What's new

Carl Pavano

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Couple of notes on Pavano so far this season:

8 starts total. One was on short rest, after he had to pitch relief in the 20-inning game, & he wasn't sharp. Omit that start just for argument's sake.

That leaves 7 starts, in which:

- He's gone at least 6 innings every game.
- All but once he's given up 3 or fewer runs.
- All but once he's walked 1 or 0 batters.

So excluding the start on short rest, 6 of the 7 starts he's gone at least 6 innings, allowed 3 or fewer runs, and 1 or 0 walks. While I would prefer 7 innings, I would still call those quality starts. It's giving your team a good chance to win.

Pavano is leading the team in innings, yet has the fewest walks of any starter. Teams hit a little better against him than other pitchers, & he doesn't get a lot of K's, but I think the low walks helps keep the damage to a minimum. He also has 0 wild pitches.

He's not a dominating guy obviously, but for a #5 starter those are really solid numbers. Hope he can keep it up!

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
The overachievement of Redman and Pavano this year have been very nice surprises, and if they contine throughout the season, theyll help soften the blow of losing AJ. Its just too bad that now Redman and Beckett are out. Within a few weeks, our rotation could be Beckett, Penny, Redman, Pavano, and Willis, not too shabby especially considering we lost our ace. Hopefully, it won't be too late to make a run by then.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Excellent point Ross - if we can just keep our heads above water for the next few weeks - this team can be primed to make a legitimate move in the standings.

Another bright spot has been the performance of the bullpen - guys like Borland, Levrault, and Phelps have all been given opportunities and have pitched reasonable well. Their development will be highly beneficial as the season progresses.

If we can find another bat for the bench and Pudge & company heat up - things could get very interesting.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, even though AJ was OUR best ace, Beckett still is AN ace...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
beckett is NOT an ace.

He has not proven that yet.

He has that potential, but he is not there. not yet.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
His curveball is dominant, his fastball explodes at the plate, and his change-up has amazing velocity...

When he is COMPLETELY healthy, he is on...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
and how often is he healthy???

most aces must have good health.

look at his career numbers so far....

not exactly 'ace' numbers.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Whose talking numbers? I am talking "stuff"... He has Ace quality "stuff" easily...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Who cares about 'stuff'

Aces transpire 'stuff' into success.

Until Beckett does that he cannot be considered an ace.

Next.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
You're wrong...

You realize the kid is only 22... He isn't going to be Roger Clemens just yet... But soon enough...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I know that.

You are the one saying he is already an ace.

I know he has 'ace potential' but frankly I dont care. Transform it into being an ace in teh big leagues and then lets talk.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Carl has kept us in the game in all his starts. He is becoming a very solid pitcher for us and will continue to do so. He has had good movement and velocity and is completely Healthy...I hope he can keep pitching like that because we really need it.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
But at times Torborg was real dumb with Carl... He would struggle after 6 all the time but he would always let him go 7...

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pavano has always had great stuff. The key is his health. If he can stay healthy, he will be a very solid pitcher for you guys. If is the key(he has never done it).

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Das I was going to post the same thing. Beckett isn't our "ace". Not yet anyway.

You have to put up some good numbers to get the term "ace". Ace isn't just thrown around to pitchers who have great potential. You need a season like Burnett had last year at the least to be considered an ace. You need maybe a 15 win season. You need a 200 strikeout year. You need to establish yourself as a player other teams don't want to face in a series. Beckett's not there yet. He's got dominant stuff, but until he goes out and puts up a big season, I don't call him "ace".

Latest posts

Top Bottom