What's new

Castillo hopes to stay as a Marlin

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA - By the time the Marlins return to South Florida next week, Luis Castillo likely will have set his ninth club record. Monday's game was his 716th as a Marlin, leaving him two behind Jeff Conine.

But he might not set many others. Castillo, who began his major-league career with Florida in 1996, becomes a free agent this fall. And though Castillo and his agent, Andy Mota, say he wants to remain a Marlin, it likely will take a multiyear contract to make that happen -- something the Marlins are no longer offering.

During the winter, when the club signed Castillo to a $4.85 million deal, the Marlins said they would not sign any player for more than one season at a time in order to keep their payroll flexible. That thinking hasn't changed, a club spokesperson said Monday.

''This is his home team. This is where his friends are. But he knows the reality of the economic situation and the economics of this team,'' said Mota, who hasn't discussed Castillo's situation with the Marlins since December. ``It's not from a wishful standpoint. His desire would be to sign a multiyear deal with the Marlins.''

Money isn't an issue, said Castillo, the highest-paid Marlin (all but $3 million of the $10 million the clubs owes catcher Iv?n Rodr?guez has been deferred). But the security of a multiyear deal is -- especially with the 27-year-old Castillo, who is coming off hip surgery.

''I want to stay,'' said Castillo, who batted .435 in his previous five games before Monday. ``This is the team that gave me the opportunity. Maybe something will happen after the All-Star break.''

In the meantime, Castillo said he plans to continue adding to his franchise records, which include marks for hits, runs, singles, triples, stolen bases and multihit games.

He also holds seven single-season franchise records, including the longest hitting streak.

''That's my favorite,'' he said of last season's 35-game streak. ``That's a good record.''

Link

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
If the Marlins' contend I bet they'll attempt to keep him.. if not they'll save the money and acquire guys like Placido Polanco..

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
If the Marlins' contend I bet they'll attempt to keep him.. if not they'll save the money and acquire guys like Placido Polanco..
The marlins want to keep him here with us but we cant give him a big contract so the Marlins need to let him go. They would probaly give him that multi year contract if we didnt have pierre, but not since we have pierre they arent putting too much intrest in signing castillo for too long....

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pierre's going to make what, 2 million for 2 more years here I think?

I think if Castillo would take a bit of a discount then they'd have to at least consider it. Maybe something like 3.5 for three years. (He's making 4.8 this year)
But I'd be surprised if the Marlins offered that or Castillo accepted it.

Pierre will definately have a big impact based on this season. If he puts up numbers similar to Castillo, it's probably a given that Louie's a goner. I wouldn't be totally furious with this IF Pierre keeps up his numbers this year. I suppse it would free up money to spend elsewhere & they could replace Castillo cheap with a Hooper or something. Would probably be terrible for public support though...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Juan Pierre's contract
Juan Pierre OF FLA Signed Mar 2002 - 4 years/$7.5M
2002: $0.5M (+$0.4M signing bonus)
2003: $0.9M
2004: $2.3M
2005: $3.4M
-Total value of deal can reach $12.75M with incentives

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I suppse it would free up money to spend elsewhere & they could replace Castillo cheap with a Hooper or something. Would probably be terrible for public support though...
I wont be suprised if they dont give Castillo a contract and they call up Hooper from the minors. If Pierre has a very good season i think the marlins will say bye to Luis, (lets no hope so, but i think he will be gone). Hooper is a great defensive guy and can hit. He can put up the SB numbers castillo and Pierre have so we have nothing to lose.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i say we sign castillo 5 years 4mill he will prob like that
$4mil a year?

or

5 years, total $4mil?

Top Bottom