What's new

Castillo, Lee, Lowell Leaving?

Castillo, Lee, Lowell Leaving?

By: Josh Clinton (Wild Card)
MarlinsBaseball.com Columnist

Josh's Columnist Page

Luis Castillo will command about $7 Million. So will Derrek Lee. Mike Lowell around $6.5 Million. So the ultimate question is: Can the Florida Marlins afford to keep these three players?

The ultimate answer: No. Supposedly showcasing their individual talent right now to impress other franchises, all three have a legitimate chance of leaving Florida by the July 31 trade deadline.

It almost seems inevitable that Castillo won't be in Florida past the deadline, the only questions are where, and when will he go. He is the only Marlins player who is not arbitration eligible after 2003, and because of the salary the Gold-Glove caliber all-star is expected command, he won't be in Miami much longer.

It is possible Castillo could end-up in St. Luis, due to the facts that Fernando Vina has been struggling, and is injured. The only problem is, they also have the worst farm-system in all of MLB, which means they are limited of prospects to trade Florida in return for Castillo.

One team he could possibly end-up that is deep in talented prospects is Cincinnati. The Reds need a talented lead-off hitter and a second baseman badly, which means he could fill both needs. The Reds also have one of the best outfields in baseball, and extreme depth at the position. This means they would most likely be forced to give up at least one of their young sluggers to the Marlins, who definitely need some pop in their power-depleted outfield.

Derrek Lee is another Marlins player that has been rumored to be available. There aren't many teams who currently need a first baseman, but a few teams could eventually be possibilities.

The Arizona Diamondbacks are in dire need of offense, despite their recent trade that sent Shea Hillenbrand to Arizona, while they sent over former closer and current starter Byun-Hyung Kim to the Red Sox. Their current starters at first base are prospect Lyle Overbay, and one of the best hitters of the '90's, Mark Grace, who is really starting to show his age.

But Lee is not your typical all-offensive no defense type first baseman. He posses amazing speed and base running skills for a man his size (6'6", 250) and could quite possibly be the current front runner for the National League Gold-Glove for all first basemen.

The catch about this situation is, Lee isn't an actual Free Agent next season. Lee is still an arbitration eligible player that will probably command a salary outside the teams price range. But because of the fact he is arbitration eligible, the team does not have to feel pressured into a trade quickly. They still have the option wait until season's end, because by November, he might more worth even more than he is now. This is because by then he may have improved his resume tremendously.

Mike Lowell may be the most rumored player to have a one way ticket out of Florida, but just might be the one that has the least chance of actually getting one. Easily one of the games best third baseman right now, the all-star has been linked to several franchises in tons of trade rumors.

The most rumored team: The Chicago Cubs. The Cubs and the Dodgers are two teams that can easily be described as all pitching and no offense. Well, the Cubs are very determined to change that. Sammy Sosa will be back in the line-up after being on the disabled list with a broken toe nail. And if you compliment him with Mike Lowell, then you just might have a pretty productive offense. The only thing that has held the Cubs back from making a deal for Lowell is the fact that they simply do not want to give-up much to get him, which is precisely the reason they haven't acquired him.

It is also possible that the Diamondbacks could have talked to Florida about acquiring Lowell, before opting for Shea Hillenbrand. The most logical reason they didn't receive him would most likely be that, like the Cubs, they didn't want to give-up much to get him, showing us that if the Marlins are going to trade Mike Lowell, it's going to cost the team going after him.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
actually Josh, I read this on the Reds board....

the only problem I have is that you are basing alot of this on assumptions by you!

and, whenever you try to back up an argument in another thread, dont say, "its in my latest article".... sorry but that means nothing to me

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
actually Josh, I read this on the Reds board....

the only problem I have is that you are basing alot of this on assumptions by you!

and, whenever you try to back up an argument in another thread, dont say, "its in my latest article".... sorry but that means nothing to me
Acually, it was reported by an Arizona talk show that the D'Backs went after Lowell first, and Bienfest told them he was not on the market. Although, that could mean he was sugarcoating it, when they really said you aren't offering us enough.

The Cardinals have been reported to be talking about Castillo...

The Castillo to Reds thing was rumored...

The only real assumption I made was D-lee to Arizona, only because at this point it just make the most sense.

Top Bottom