What's new

Center fielder, closer two days away

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Center fielder, closer two days away
Manager Fredi Gonzalez told us this morning he'll name his closer and starting center fielder on Wednesday. He already has a closer in mind, but Gonzalez said he hasn't made a determination on the center fielder.

On a separate note, Gonzalez revealed he'd use a platoon in right while Jeremy Hermida is out.
==============
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseb...r_fielder_.html

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
If this is the case we should be watching the transaction wire closely for the next 48 hours.

Frankly I'm surprised they're making these decisions so early in the week, while other teams are signaling their decisions won't come until later in the week on some obvious players who may be available from other teams and compatible with our needs. Very surprising unless Beinfest has a deal in his pocket, and potentially disappointing.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Gonzalez is going with Owens as his closer and De Aza as his starting centerfielder.

Reed is Master

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Gonzalez is going with Owens as his closer and De Aza as his starting centerfielder.
PPPPHHHHTT are you for real
they aren't going to take a kid DE AZA and start him over a major leaguer REED
your funny

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
Reed will definitely receive the CF job. He deserves it.

Owens, Lindstrom, or Gregg for the closer.

De Aza will go back down to AA.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
your funny

What qualifies Eric (I can hit the ball up to 60 feet if I really swing hard) as a MLeaguer? His 4 for 41 last year? I am not disagreeing with you that Reed with get the nod-just that he has no special experience separating him from the others.

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
your funny

What qualifies Eric (I can hit the ball up to 60 feet if I really swing hard) as a MLeaguer? His 4 for 41 last year? I am not disagreeing with you that Reed with get the nod-just that he has no special experience separating him from the others.

Good minor league numbers. Much better than De Aza's. I don't like Reed, but he deserves the job. You can't take a sample of 41 ABs and base judgement off of that. He has had a fantastic spring, and a great minor league career. You can't ruin him on 41 ABs.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Two hours or so ago, Frisaro published on MLB the Marlins were still interested in Benitez. Once again Julio was also mentioned.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
your funny

Good minor league numbers. Much better than De Aza's. I don't like Reed, but he deserves the job. You can't take a sample of 41 ABs and base judgement off of that. He has had a fantastic spring, and a great minor league career. You can't ruin him on 41 ABs.
Over the last two seasons De Aza has better minor league numbers than Reed.. higher OBP and higher OPS.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
your funny

Over the last two seasons De Aza has better minor league numbers than Reed.. higher OBP and higher OPS.
Last year they virtually had the same OBP(.344 to .346) and in OPS, Reed was at .782 to .720 of De Aza's

2005: .335/.739 vs De Aza .370/.764

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
your funny

Last year they virtually had the same OBP(.344 to .346) and in OPS, Reed was at .782 to .720 of De Aza's

You're forgetting about Reed's '05 Carolina numbers (.305 / .604).

If you average their '05 and '06 minor league numbers you'll find that De Aza's OBP was about .036 higher than Reed's and De Aza's OPS was about .042 higher.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yea, I totally botched 2005, my mistake...

atleast I was right about 2006 :(

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gotta be excited about either one of them though, eh?

:sleeping

c'mon Beinfest, come up with something. :deal

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Your whole shtick Reed is Master is getting on everyones nerves. Grow up man

My3Username

Muckdog
Reaction score
Several teams interested in Arizona's Julio
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 13 hours ago

The Cardinals and Marlins appear to be the clubs most interested in trading for Diamondbacks right-hander Jorge Julio, according to major-league sources.

Looking for that Red Sox hat, Yankees t-shirt or Dodgers pennant? Get your MLB gear here!

The Pirates and Devil Rays also are in the mix for Julio, sources say. The Phillies, a team badly in need of relief help, are not involved. Neither are the Mariners, contrary to published reports.

The Diamondbacks want any team that acquires Julio to pay his entire $3.6 million salary, but might need to make an exception for the low-revenue Marlins, who could offer a better prospect if they received cash in the deal.

Julio, 28, is one of the few late-inning relievers available on the trade market. The Giants seemingly are backing off a trade of closer Armando Benitez, but one rival executive insists, "they definitely are going to move him."

The Marlins would be the most logical fit for Benitez, assuming the teams could reach agreement on players and Benitez's $7.6 million salary.

Benitez, 34, earned a career-high 47 saves for the Marlins in 2004, and has looked impressive this spring.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wonder if Fredi is going to play the "winner" on Wednesday. I am very excited to see who gets the job.
I am pretty much guessing that Sanchez is totally out of the race... right?

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score
your funny

You're forgetting about Reed's '05 Carolina numbers (.305 / .604).

If you average their '05 and '06 minor league numbers you'll find that De Aza's OBP was about .036 higher than Reed's and De Aza's OPS was about .042 higher.
the difference in those numbers is like their difference in height

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Fredi is going to pick Lindstrom as the closer. Lindstrom has been brought in twice in save situtations and I dont think Owens has once. Any help on this?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
In regards to that article, I'd rather them take a chance on Benitez than Julio if we're intent on bringing someone else in, assuming the Giants eat enough salary.

Top Bottom