What's new

Chad Allen an option?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Couple of notes from the minors.....
Sun-Sentinel link
After missing much of spring training after offseason wrist surgery, Triple-A first basemen Adrian Gonzalez returned by mid-April and was batting .367 with seven RBI in his first seven games. "You'd think he's been here four years already," DelPiano said. "There's no panic in this kid's game. He's something to watch." ... Albuquerque outfielder Chad Allen was hitting .371 through 62 at-bats and had emerged as the top option to replace Gerald Williams on the Marlins bench. ... Double-A lefty Dontrelle Willis was 1-0 with a 1.06 ERA through three starts. He had 17 strikeouts against three walks. ...

Yeah I know it's early, but Torborg should keep Chad Allen in mind. He's got major league experience with the Twins and he played well in spring training, now he's hitting .371. Maybe think about replacing Gerald Williams, he's harmless.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bidding a fond farewell to Gerald Williams is something I look forward to, sooner rather than later. But what good is it if it doesn't dramatically improve our bench? We don't have the kind of bench strength required to make a real run at the pennant, we all know that, but swapping Chad Allen for Gerald Williams is not the kind of spark this team needs.

Allen has made alot of progress at AAA especially in keeping his strikeouts down, and he does some limited MLB experience, but I'm not convinced it (or his .370 BA) require his immediate ascension back to the bigs. It's not like he's had 10 homers in 15 games and is on fire, he's having a respectable AAA April.

Now if you want to bring him up just because he can't be any worse than Williams, that's okay with me, I'd agree with you 100%, but don't expect that much more than what we have now.

My guess is Torborg is playing Williams over Banks right now to give him one final look before cutting him loose. And Banks is dieing in his current role, look for Torborg to start platooning Banks and Hollandsworth soon, if for no reason other than to give Banks some ABs.

Reaction score
Yeah would love to see Banks get some more ABs. I hope your right that he begins to get a platoon and start 2 or 3 times a week. I really think Hollandsworth sucks. His best season came in his rookie year and has only came close to matching that one more time in his career. Does not have enough pop for an OF. If Banks could somehow get 300 ABs this season I say he bats .275, 15 2Bs, 3 3Bs, 10 HRs, and 45 RBIs. If Hollandsworth were to get 450 ABs he would not do much better than that.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
That works for me Marlins2003, and no I don't really think Chad would make all that much of an impact, it's just that I think Williams is wasting a spot. I haven't heard Abe Nunez's name much lately, I wonder if he's playing ok after the spring training injury. If they end up dumping Williams they're probably just going to bring up Nunez.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
*I was high on Reed last year out of Texas A&M "Pierre like skills"

*Hutchinson is another guy out of last year draft who final signed and the lay off paid off, "93MPH" His got a nasty stuff.

*I hope they work with Strattton too much talent there.

* Chad Allen will be with this club if he keeps this up.

* Anybody what to put odds on Dontrelle Willis ending the season with the big club?

Great Article Mike!

Hutchinson finding his niche
Published April 22, 2003

JUPITER ? His comedic skills range from a mean Michael (Riverdance) Flatley imitation to his hilarious T-Rex impersonation.

On a recent evening in the Class A Jupiter Hammerheads clubhouse, Trevor Hutchinson's "T-Rex" could be found battling fellow pitcher Mike McNutt's crazed "gorilla."

Hutchinson, hands tucked close to his chest, would stagger forward in lock-kneed goofiness. McNutt, knuckles scraping the carpet, would scoot in fearlessly to meet certain doom.

Maybe you had to be there.

What's obvious is that two months into his pro career, Hutchinson is blending right in. Through three outings, the right-hander had yet to allow an earned run in 15 innings and was making the Marlins glad they finally signed him for $375,000 after an 8?-month holdout.

"It worked out in the end," said Hutchinson, a third-round pick as a senior out of Cal-Berkeley. "[Holding out] gave my arm some time off. My arm feels great now. I'm happy."

In his last start against Fort Myers, Hutchinson allowed a single to the first batter, and then held the Miracle hitless for the next seven innings.

"He's advanced," Marlins farm director Marc DelPiano said. "That's why the thought was, `Let's get him into the Florida State League.'"

While sitting out, Hutchinson finished work on his degree in social welfare and spent time living with his older brother, Chad, the Dallas Cowboys quarterback and a former Cardinals pitching prospect.

The younger Hutchinson said he gained 10 pounds of muscle since the draft and was able to recover from a college workload that saw him throw as many as 137 pitches in a single start.

Hutchinson now tops out at 93 mph after struggling to reach 90 mph late in his senior season.

Though control problems chased Chad back to football, where he starred at Stanford, he has imparted sufficient wisdom to his younger brother.

"You're in it for the long haul," Chad will say. "You can't rush into anything, can't grow impatient, can't worry about getting promoted. Your destiny is out of your control other than what you do on the field."

Trevor said he appreciates Chad's advice, but vows his baseball career will turn out better for personality reasons.

"Chad's mentality is better for football," Trevor said. "When he was on the mound, if he walked a guy he wanted to go tackle him. It was a strikeout or nothing with him. I'm more laid back, although I can still turn it up when I need to."

SPEEDY REED

Jupiter center fielder Eric Reed, a ninth-rounder out of Texas A&M last year, was driving the FSL nuts with his Juan Pierre-style package.

"Fastest guy I've ever seen," Jupiter manager Luis Dorante said. "We get him consistently at 3.6 [seconds] to first. We just have to teach him to use his speed."

Reed was picked off three times in the early going but was batting .338 with four extra-base hits. His speed also is a great asset in the field, where it helps him compensate for an average arm.

"He's solid defensively," Dorante said. "That speed he has is unbelievable. He gets to so many balls you don't believe there's any way he can reach."

GUPPIES

After missing much of spring training after offseason wrist surgery, Triple-A first basemen Adrian Gonzalez returned by mid-April and was batting .367 with seven RBI in his first seven games. "You'd think he's been here four years already," DelPiano said. "There's no panic in this kid's game. He's something to watch." ... Albuquerque outfielder Chad Allen was hitting .371 through 62 at-bats and had emerged as the top option to replace Gerald Williams on the Marlins bench. ... Double-A lefty Dontrelle Willis was 1-0 with a 1.06 ERA through three starts. He had 17 strikeouts against three walks. ... Double-A Carolina right-hander Randy Messenger returned from a three-game suspension for an undisclosed violation of team policy. He had a 6.39 ERA through three starts....

John Mallee, Marlins roving hitting instructor, was in Albuquerque last week to work with struggling slugger Robert Stratton. Despite five homers in his first 59 at-bats, Stratton was batting just .169 with 34 strikeouts and one walk. "Stratton has too many ingredients to give up on," DelPiano said. ... Class A Jupiter right-hander Don Levinski, typically a slow starter, was 2-1 with a 1.96 ERA in four starts. Shut down late last season with shoulder tendinitis, Levinski was back to the form that saw him toss 35 consecutive shutout innings in the Midwest League. Said Dorante: "His ball just moves naturally. If you can throw the ball across the plate and let it move, it's a beautiful thing." ... Double-A Carolina first baseman Pat Magness was placed on the disabled list with a strained right wrist. He was batting .160, but the injury wasn't considered serious.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
How about this scenario EdCanes.....

Marlins are in the thick of the playoff race late in the season, and to shore up the bullpen for the stretch run they bring up Dontrelle Willis!

Just like Francisco Rodriguez for the Angels last season. :arms

Okay, I can daydream can't I?

Top Bottom