What's new

Chen designated for assignment

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
So if Chen signs with a team like the Orioles and pitches 180 innings, will his 2021 option vest? More importantly, it would still be the Orioles on the hook in that scenario, right?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
So if Chen signs with a team like the Orioles and pitches 180 innings, will his 2021 option vest? More importantly, it would still be the Orioles on the hook in that scenario, right?
No, it would not. He's a free agent once he is released after clearing waivers. The contract terms would be over.

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
No, it would not. He's a free agent once he is released after clearing waivers. The contract terms would be over.
Except for the guaranteed funds? Would they have to pay it immediately or still on the stated dates?

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
With a DFA, we COULD trade him, right? If someone wanted?
And he could, also, theoretically, stay with the team and take a minor league assignment, yes?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Except for the guaranteed funds? Would they have to pay it immediately or still on the stated dates?
The guaranteed funds would still have to be paid by the fish, I don't know the schedule for that.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
With a DFA, we COULD trade him, right? If someone wanted?
And he could, also, theoretically, stay with the team and take a minor league assignment, yes?
He could be traded yes and I believe so.

I assume this ends in a release though anyway.

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
He could be traded yes and I believe so.

I assume this ends in a release though anyway.
You know what, if he wants to take a Minor League assignment, I'm not against it. I'd respect him for it.

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score

Yeah, #FuckCheapJeter for having the balls to prioritize player development over money.

Seriously the majority of the people who say that they are boycotting or avoiding the Marlins are not real fans and would not have participated anyway. But they just love to jump on the bandwagon (ironic) of shitting on the team.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Also as I stated on a previous thread, Chen is technically still owed $33 M because of deferred money.
Not to split hairs, but it's $34 million - $19 in 2020 and $15 in 2021

I mention this only because I found all the information on Cots and Sportrac incorrect and unreliable, and eventually emailed Baseball Prospectus and got an answer. It was a process

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
No, someone would have to claim him on waivers. And no one will because they will then be on the hook for the remainder of his contract.

He'll sign a minimum deal with someone else, and if he makes the club, the minimum salary he is being paid will be deducted from the Marlins obligations.

So let's hope he signs and makes a team so the Marlins can recoup $600,000. Yay?

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Yea Micheal but it's still about money too. If it wasn't about money then they wouldn't have kept him around in 2019 in hopes that he provided benefit to the team.

I give them credit for this move and, like Mish was saying, anyone paying attention should see that this is a positive move in that it shows a committment to keeping the best players, as well as a commitment to more winning, as well as a willingness to not make decisions on just money alone.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score

Yeah, #FuckCheapJeter for having the balls to prioritize player development over money.

Seriously the majority of the people who say that they are boycotting or avoiding the Marlins are not real fans and would not have participated anyway. But they just love to jump on the bandwagon (ironic) of shitting on the team.
Wtf Dan Campbell completely misunderstood Mish's point or he has no clue how bad Chen was. Amazing that this move, the release of the one man dumpster fire known as Chen, could actually result in people criticizing the Marlins for it. Lol but I should have seen it coming.

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
UCL problem had been choked him all season long since he signed with Fish.

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
yet Michael Hill still have a job

Latest posts

Top Bottom