Chuck Lamar is an idiot

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Credit: Paul C. Smith / MLB.com

05/14/2003 11:55 PM ET
Rays to sign Lugo
By Paul C. Smith / MLB.com

TORONTO -- With Rey Ordonez on the DL and expected to be out at least another 3-4 weeks, the Devil Rays are about to sign infielder Julio Lugo.

"We are in the process of trying to finalize a deal with Julio Lugo and hopefully will have an announcement tomorrow," general manager Chuck LaMar said after the Rays' 7-6 loss to Toronto on Wednesday night.

Lugo was released by the Astros last week and cleared waivers on Tuesday. He is expected to join the Rays on Friday in Baltimore.

"We like his ability," Lou Piniella said. "He's played shortstop on some good Houston teams. He's got a little power and speed. If we do sign him, we can use him in different situations. Ordonez is going to be out a while."

Lugo faces a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Houston.

"Everybody makes mistakes," Piniella said. "You learn from mistakes and you move forward. At the same time, we're trying to improve this baseball team. I don't think there's anyone walking the streets who doesn't regret a few things they have done, including myself.

"I've got no problems with players who have had problems. As long as you learn from them and don't repeat them, I've got no problems."

Lugo will be the 36th player to play for the Rays this season.

Ordonez had started the season making play after impressive play at shortstop, and adding surprising production at the plate. But he suffered a sprained knee two weeks ago, which the team said is an aggravation of an old injury. He went on the DL on Friday.

Paul C. Smith is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Yeah, it's not like the guy should be banned for life. He paid the price with a couple of weeks unpaid vacation and now it's time to move on.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't mean Lugo shouldn't be banned for life.. I just wanted to express my feelings to Chuck Lamar about his GM skills from 1998-2003

Yes, and Lamar is an idiot. Agreed.

This man traded Bobby Abreu for Kevin Stocker.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Lugo also was struggling this year....

He has really had one good year....

I hope the DRays are not investing much in Lugo from a talent perspective.

Top Bottom