What's new

Cleanup Spot Platoon?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Manager Fredi Gonzalez said he probably will bat the first baseman Jacobs fourth and left fielder Josh Willingham fifth against right-handed starting pitchers. Against left-handed starters, Willingham will hit fourth and Jacobs fifth.

Not exactly a huge fan of that move there. I would much rather Jacobs earn moving up in the lineup.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Manager Fredi Gonzalez said he probably will bat the first baseman Jacobs fourth and left fielder Josh Willingham fifth against right-handed starting pitchers. Against left-handed starters, Willingham will hit fourth and Jacobs fifth.

Not exactly a huge fan of that move there. I would much rather Jacobs earn moving up in the lineup.
I don't really like it either but last year Jacobs hit better off righties than Willingham so I really can't argue against it.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

agree. I wouldn't tinker with Willy at 4. regardless of who is pitching

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's sad that our lineup is so bad after Hanley, Uggla, Miggy, Hammer that Jacobs can get a de facto promotion like this. :confused

Not a fan.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd rather know where he plans to bat De Aza, and what we're doing with right-field.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have a feeling right field will be a platoon of Borchard/Gall until Hermida is back.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score

vs RHP
Jacobs .281/.345/.514 (.860)
Willingham .269/.334/.451 (.785)

vs LHP
Willingham .299/.411/.619 (1.030) < - Wow
Jacobs .182/.234/.295 (.530)

This makes perfect sense.

And because Fredi has said he wants Uggla batting second, we're hopefully going to split up the main lefties and have Hermida bat 6th vs RHP when he's back.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's a shame Lou when facts get in the way of dooming and glooming for a living. :D Good post :thumbup

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
vs LHP

That in the 5 spot makes perfect sense?

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
vs LHP

No, that's why we signed Aaron Boone to spell Jacobs vs LHP.

All I'm talking about is the cleanup slot and it's very wise to flip Jacobs/Hammer.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
vs LHP

All I'm talking about is the cleanup slot and it's very wise to flip Jacobs/Hammer.

Fine and dandy, but it doesn't look like Freddi's signed on for that logic.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hopefully whoever platoons with Borchard can hit lefties and can hit 5th because as bad as Jacobs is vs lefties Borchard is even worse.

To start the season I would let Jacobs play vs lefties rather than platooning with Boone just to see how he does.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yes, Jacobs was better last year vs righties. I still want Hammer batting behind Cabrera.

stats don't always say the whole story

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
vs LHP

Fine and dandy, but it doesn't look like Freddi's signed on for that logic.
The organization believes he can hit lefties, so does Mike Jacobs for whatever that's worth. He hit them moderately decent in the minors. He's not going to be starting at 1B long if he hits that pathetic again. I would imagine he'll get April to prove he can hit them, then will be routinely yanked for Boone if he does not. I don't mind "the logic." Rest assured, I will join you very fast on the 'get Jacobs the hell out of the lineup' bandwagon if he is OPSing .530 vs anything next year. Flipping Hammer 4/5 and Jacobs 4 vs RHP is easily the way to go to maximize lineup potential. Our LHP lineup will sort itself out in due time as we see who hits best of Jacobs, Hermida, Ross, De Aza, and Boone to eventually claim the 5th, 6th, and 7th slots in the lineup at 1B, RF, and CF.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
yes, Jacobs was better last year vs righties. I still want Hammer batting behind Cabrera.

stats don't always say the whole story
what's the rest of the story

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't mind bumping Jacobs up at all. I think he has the potential to hit better than he did last season, and the only thing that hitting him ahead of Willingham will do, is to give Jacobs some better pitches to hit. Plus, it gives you the old R-L-R from a strategy standpoint.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
vs LHP

Yes, Aarone Boone is here to save the day. :shifty
No one said he is saving the day, but Aaron Boone had 260 OPS points vs LHP compared to Mike Jacobs 2006, and 247 OPS points in 2005.

That seems like a minor upgrade to me, even if it's below average production from a 1B. Let's keep hating though.

Top Bottom