What's new

Coach Perry Hill Retires

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins first base coach Perry Hill retires

JUPITER -- The Florida Marlins today announced that first base coach Perry Hill has notified the organization of his retirement. The announcement was made by Marlins Executive Vice President and General Manager Admin Beinfest.

The Marlins are considering internal and external candidates to replace Hill, and the organization hopes to have a replacement in place by Opening Day.

Wow! This sucks! Comes out of nowhere!

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I just got a note from the team that Perry Hill has retired from the ballclub.

I guess it's family related. Sad to see him go, he was the guru of infield defense.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
he better have a good reason.

kind of short notice.

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

kind of short notice.

Yes, his wife has been battling a terminal illness in Texas for a while now. That's why he left the team for a period of time last year. That's why I mentioned in my post that it was most likely family related.

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
Whoa, totally unexpected.
I wouldn't say totally unexpected. If I remember correctly, he left a couple times last year to tend to personal matters. I am 99% sure this is the reason.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score

kind of short notice.

Yes, his wife has been battling a terminal illness in Texas for a while now. That's why he left the team for a period of time last year. That's why I mentioned in my post that it was most likely family related.
oh. well that stinks.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Worst news of the offseason for the Fish.

Best of luck to Perry and his family.

FishFTW

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/press_...sp&c_id=fla

The following is a statement from Perry Hill regarding the announcement of his retirement:

I would like to thank Jeffrey Loria, David Samson, Admin Beinfest, Mike Hill, Dan Jennings and Jim Fleming for their unwavering support over the years. The confidence that was showed in me by Jeff Torborg, Jack McKeon, Joe Girardi and Fredi Gonzalez was greatly appreciated. My respect and love goes out to all of the players I had the privilege to work with over the years. Each one touched my heart in a special way.

I would like to thank Matt Roebuck and his staff and the broadcast and print media for always being nothing but fair, and I will miss my daily interactions with each one.

This was a very difficult decision but one that had to be made.

I sincerely hope the fans of South Florida know how lucky they are to have the Marlins, and I hope they will support the 2007 team.

Doesn't say much as far as reasons, but I'd have to agree that he's retiring to be with his wife and family.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
We hope all ends well for the Hill family. Good luck and thanks Perry!

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
WOW. this sucks

Hope the best for Perry and his family. He is and always will be my favorite Marlins coach of all time, after Jack McKeon.

Admin and mod staff.
Just a suggestion. . . We should start a farewell thread for Perry like we did for Jack? I think that was great

SHUfishfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Worst news of the offseason for the Fish.

Best of luck to Perry and his family.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score
amen don, you hit the nail on the head...worst news so far...

best of luck perry, thanks for getting as much as you could out of these guys!

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
While it is a surprise to most of us, the organization has probably been aware of the possibility since last year, and hopefully has been considering the options for some time now. Nevertheless, from all accounts this is a tough loss for the team-but I have no concerns for the team when someone has to leave for what are apparently very serious personal matters. The only concern is for Perry and his family, that the future brings good news.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
and the hits just keep on coming!

So sorry to see him go, he was really a gem in this coaching staff the past several years. One of those guys who won't get the glory but look at the guys he's worked with...

:thumbup

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
amen don, you hit the nail on the head...worst news so far...

best of luck perry, thanks for getting as much as you could out of these guys!

Who's gonna teach Boone to play first now???

MrAndMrsFish

Mr. Minor League
Reaction score
Hope all turns out well for Perry and his family which is the main concern at this moment for him

Top Bottom