What's new

Couple of thoughts on last night's win...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
1. Bringing up Nunez is strange enough since he didn't seem to have pitched much better in the minors...but WHY IN THE WORLD would you immediately throw him into a late game pressure situation in front of a crowd that's dying to boo him off the field? Find a game where he can ease into it slowly. Preferably on the road. I can't figure this one out for the life of me. Was McKeon out of his mind?

2. Tonight the Marlins did what they couldn't Wednesday night: took advantage of Oakland mistakes. They couldn't get the go-ahead run home Wednesday after Hudson plunked 2 batters and threw a ball away in the inning. Tonight Lilly balks Lowell to 2nd, then Alex knocks him in. Later the catcher throws a ball into center field, Alex goes to 2nd, Banks knocks him in with a single. Love to see that.

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
yea last night was a sweet win

willis pitched phenomenal

his era is under 0.40 in his last 3 starts

but he always seems to get his pitch count to high, so he can never finsih the game. regardless he pitched great and can only get better. he is 4-1 with a 3.00 era

what a steal clement and alfonseca havent done s***

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
with a 3.00 era
Do you know if that's his exact ERA?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
uhh ya actually it is
Weird, but just making sure...

Let's get it under three, D Willy!

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
1. Bringing up Nunez is strange enough since he didn't seem to have pitched much better in the minors...but WHY IN THE WORLD would you immediately throw him into a late game pressure situation in front of a crowd that's dying to boo him off the field? Find a game where he can ease into it slowly. Preferably on the road. I can't figure this one out for the life of me. Was McKeon out of his mind?
Actually, he pitched as bad down in AAA as with the Marlins. 1 win 1 loss with an 8.50 ERA in 16 games, 2 saves, 18 innings pitched, 17 ERs, 7 BBs, 14 SOs, and 6 HRs allowed!!!

I really can't imagine the reason why he was sent back to the team, unless they don't want a reliever earning 1.5 million down in the farm.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really can't imagine the reason why he was sent back to the team, unless they don't want a reliever earning 1.5 million down in the farm.
That's probably the reason as much as anything else...

Although I did read today that in his last minor-league start he pitched 5 scoreless innings.... I still can't figure out what McKeon was thinking.

"I figured he had to come out there sooner or later," McKeon said. "Why not have him come out, pitch a great inning and get him back on the road? It didn't happen. I was hoping this was the one that would turn him around. But I couldn't stick with him too long. I said, 'Hey, this could be a great test.' But we had backups. We had Looper."

Clearly Jack is on some bad medication... :blink:

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
No, I think McKeon had reason to do what he did...

If Vlad went out there and pitched a scoreless very good inning in a close situation, it would have really gotten Vlad's confidence high. It backfired, and now he will probably do worse... :blink: :unsure : :angry :confused :whistle

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
No, I think McKeon had reason to do what he did...

If Vlad went out there and pitched a scoreless very good inning in a close situation, it would have really gotten Vlad's confidence high. It backfired, and now he will probably do worse... :blink: ? :unsure :? :angry :confused ? :whistle
Yeah McKeon had a reason, but it's a terrible reason. I couldn't disagree more. A 2-0 game isn't the place to put in a guy with shattered confidence who you're trying to build back up. You should put him in a game where if he gives up a run or two it isn't going to hurt.

Best case scenario Nunez pitches the 8th. Ok great, he feels better. But you also could have used 2 or 3 other pitchers in that situation. Worst case scenario, he gives up the lead and any confidence he had about being called back up is shot to hell, and on top of that he blows the game for the team. Gotta put the team before individuals.

Looper bailed them out of that mess. That was just badass John Smoltz-type stuff. One single and the whole thing could've been ruined. Wins don't come easy enough for the Marlins to be screwing around. If they're planning on keeping Vlad in the bullpen then we'll need him to come around, but do it cautiously...

Top Bottom