What's new

Culpepper signs 10 year deal

Credit ESPN

Vikings owner Red McCombs resolved one of the biggest personnel questions facing the franchise Friday by signing quarterback Daunte Culpepper to a 10-year, $102 million contract extension that included $16 million in guarantees.

"Now we can move forward,'' Culpepper said, all smiles at a news conference following a mini-camp practice.

"I'm glad it got done today ... I feel in my heart that we have the team that can win a championship.''

Culpepper was entering the final year of his contract and would have been a free agent at the end of the season.

"It's a great, great day for the Vikings organization,'' said coach Mike Tice.

For months, Culpepper's agent, Mason Ashe, has been in quiet negotiations with McCombs. Progress of those talks were so quiet that most of the people in the Vikings front office didn't know that the two sides were coming close to a deal.

Ashe was at the Vikings morning practice when word started to spread that Culpepper had reached agreement on a new contract. After the practice, Culpepper went into the office and signed the contract.

Breakdowns of the guaranteed portion of the contract weren't available.

Culpepper, 26, has been one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. A first-round choice in 1999, Culpepper became a starter in his second year. He's been 21-22 as a starter. His best season was his first as a starter in 2000 when he threw for 33 touchdown passes and went to the Pro Bowl.

Last year, he completed 333 of 549 passes for 3,853 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Culpepper in my view is hugely overrated and has not been a clear winner as of late and that could be blamed on Carter's slow down and then retirement.

The Vikings will regret this I'll guarantee that.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Remember, although he did throw about 295 interceptions last year, he did get almost 4,000 yards...

And they can always cut him!

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
I may not know a whole lot. (my IQ is 127 i dunno if its good or bad), but I know movies, and more so I know football.

Culpepper is dumb. Not booksmart at all. But 3 years ago he threw 33 TD's and ran for 7. Also had over 4000 yards passing. And minimal int's.

2 years ago he was average.

Last year he was awful.

The Vikings (I hate them, being a Packer fan), may have signed him to $102 million. But you guys don't seem to notice that only $16 million of that is garunteed. :rolleyes:

The Vikings may regret it. But trust me, they signed Culpepper knowing what he can do, good and bad. In the end, if Culpepper doesn't do what hes worth this year, you can take it to the bank he will have a plane ticket out of Minneapolis.

But also do not forget the Vikings will be a good team this year, with a huge offseason.

Chris Claiborne, Denard Walker, Kevin Williams, Ken Irvin, E.J. Henderson and a few other QUALITY players I can't remember have signed on. The Vikings will be competing for a 5th or 6th playoff spot. My Packers will have the division wrapped up in a nice tight bow and paper in time for Christmas.

They will be 9-7 to 10-6. But if Culpepper turns the ball over like he did last year, then they will be 5-11 as they always are. Because no defense can be on the field as long as Culpepper had their defense on the field last year.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
For one, you are smart, because your I.Q. is 27 points over average (mine is 125).

Two, They made a smart decision... He had an off year, and you can rebound from that... Everyone has one, and he will do very well for them...

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
So I guess 127 is good for a 14 yr. old kid! Cool

Anyways as much as you may think Culpepper will be better, I am not saying this because I'm a Packers fan, but Culpepper has been at Winter Park (the Vikings practice facility) all off season studying the books and film.

Head Coach. Mike Tice said he wouldn't let Culpepper leave until he thought he had a grasp on the playbook and the game.

Culpepper is still up here. He has been up in Minnesota since December.

And well from my view in Western Wisconsin, things look good for my Packers!

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, *my* IQ is a Billion, and *I* say Culpepper is one of the most over rated QB's in the NFL.

Danny Wuerffel could have had the year Culpepper had in 2000 with Cris Carter, Randy Moss, and Robert Smith...

To be honest, I think losing Robert Smith was the single largest contributing factor to the decline of the Vikes from 2000 to 2001 [drop of 15 points in QB rating!]. Losing Cris Carter hurt his numbers from 01-02 [loss of another 8 points in that QB rating]. Another fact that many people are missing - along with int's going up and QB rating going down each consecutive season - Culpepper has been running more and more [89 in 00, 103 {71/11)*16} in 01, and 106 in 02]. This tells me that he is not maturing as a passer AND is getting pressed into making mistakes more often.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think it all looks good for my Dolphins too!
Super Bowl XXXVII: Miami VS Green Bay?

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
If its Miami vs. Green Bay you guys have no chance!

Remember last year, a HURT Brett Favre shredded you guys up for 200 yds, and a TD or 2 in about 2 1/2 quarters?

With the best recieving core he has ever had, Favre would rip the Dolphins secondary (although a good secondary) apart.

Green Bay is a more complete team then Miami. Your QB is AWFUL. He lost the 3rd String QB job in Minnesota to Spergon Wynn! Spergon Wynn! Wynn is playing for the CFL's Vancouver team. Fiedler is awful.
Chambers and McMichael are his only legitamate recieving threats. Ricky Williams is obviously very good. As is your defense.

But I'll take Ahman Green over Williams. Donald Driver is better then Chambers. And Franks (a former Hurricane) is far and ahead better then McMichael. Darren Sharper is the best Safety in Football without question. Mike McKenize is easily one of the 7 best CB's in the game. If not Top 5 best. And easily the most underrated CB in the NFL.

Sorry for making the comparisons and all. But its to tempting. :banghead :D ;)

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Alright let me put you in your place right now...lol ;)

1: When we played you, it was Ray Lucas who was at QB and you tore him up, as Ricky still managed to tare you up...

2: Not a good one... the best and most complete secondary in the NFL hands down...

3: I still think when Griese gets here he will win the starting QB job in Miami by game one...

4: We do have Derrius Thompson (Signed FA) who did catch for 700-800 yards last year...

5: I can tell you know your stuff but if you take an older and less skillfull Green over younger most skillfull Williams, we 'ought to commit you to the mental institute right now!

6: Chambers is better than Driver, he just got half the opportunities to show he was...

7: Franks is better than McMichael, but McMicael was also a 4th round rookie last year... McMichael will eventually be better, recieving at least...

8: Sharper is the best S, but two Pro Bowlers (Knight and Marion) are better than one...

9: McKenzie is a great corner, maybe in the top 15, but not the top 5 or even 10. No, I think the two Pro Bowl Dolphin Corners Madison and Surtain belong in the top 10, Madison in the top 5 (even though Surtain had a better year than Sam).

And let me make a point here :cool . Farve doesn't have too many recievers to go to. The Dolphins pass D wouldn't be able to stop him completely, but as much as they did Bledsoe and Gannon (they didn't let those two get over 200 in a single game). Miami's run defense is the best in the NFL now with Seau, so don't count much on Green, 'cause even w/o Seau they still dominated Ahmed. Miami would have a hard time passing on Green Bay, but they don't have the speed down the line to cover both Chambers AND McKnight. McKnight is the open reciever because McKenzie is on Chris. And I have to say this... The pack have a solid run D, but Ricky just seems to tear up every team... give me that much...

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
For your information, Ahman Green is only a year older then Williams. He is faster and better.

Driver is hands down better then Chambers.

I'll take Driver (a PRO BOWLER), Javon Walker, and Ferguson before I take Chambers, Gadsden, and Thompson.

Favre is better then Griese and Fiedler put together times 2000. He is hands down the MVP.

Our Pass Defense is better then yours, we ranked SECOND, 2nd, SECOND, 2nd in the league, behind only Tampa Bay. So you can't say your secondary is better. Because ours played better.

Also we forced the most turnovers last year.

There is no comparison between Franks and McMichael, I love them both, in fact McMichael is my 2nd fave TE behind Bubba, but the only thing Randy has on Bubba is speed. Bubba has way better hands.

BTW: Ricky Williams only had 48 yds. against us on that Monday Night game, I was there.

Williams and Green are both good, but Ahman is so much better and more complete back. He can catch, and run. Williams is a one dimensional runner.

Your right 2 pro bowlers are better then one at safety.

There is no Defense that can stop Favre period. He is too good.

Overall with some great defensive additions, better offense at all positions and one of the top Kickers around with Longwell, I'll take the Pack before the Dolphins any day.

Not to mention you guys are coached by the lowly Wannstedt formerly of the Bears. :lol

Joe

Muckdog
Reaction score
you cant stop fighting over whose team is better because we all know my Bucs are the best

:D

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Don't worry Joe their has been no fighting since Phlub owned every Dolphin fans here.

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rune...
Don't worry Joe their has been no fighting since Phlub owned every Dolphin fans here.

What do you mean by "owned"?

BTW: Joe your right, you guys are the champs until further notice. And well you sure as hell kicked our a** in November! :banghead ;)
And we all know Sherman would kick Sapps a**! :lol (sherman can bench 325 lbs. !)

But we will get a shot at your Bucs this year!

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's Slang for decesivly(sp) winning the debate.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
OK, let me start off AGAIN.

Ricky is acually faster than Ahmed, due to his 30 lb. weight loss last season. He is just a much better back than Ahmed.

Donald Driver is absolutely NOT hands down better than Chambers. Right now, stat wise, Driver is better. Chambers has much more potential (i.e. Moss like).

Remember now, in 2000 Griese did throw for 3,800 yards... Not too shabby, but no Farve.

THIS season we have acquired Terrell Buckley to play nickel coverage and now Sammy Knight. We will have THE BEST secondary in the NFL THIS year, don't try and argue that one 'cause you can't. Just can't...

Bubba is one of the top 3 catching tight ends... McMichael has more speed, Bubba has more consistant hands, but McMichael trails only Tony Gonzalez in athleticism... McMichael made some ridiculous, absolutely incredible catches last year...

Ahmed is much more of a complete back? Williams I am pretty sure had 500 recieving yards last year... A one demensional runner? Hardly! He beat Rodney Harrison to the corner of the endzone last year against the Chargers! HARRISON! Plus, let me remind you, his biggest break-out run play was the counter bouncing to the outside and breaking down the sideline, out running every defender to the endzone...

It has been proven the right defense can stop Brett Farve. I mean, he isn't Dan Marino after all...

Bottomline: Miami has obviously made the best defensive acquistions to the best AFC defense already, definately NOT better offense at any position, anybody will tell you your obviously ignorant on that (i.e. Williams, Chambers, Gadsden, Nails, Ruddy, McMichael) and the fact that Miami does have the second most accurate kicker in NFL history in Olindo Mare.

have you ever heard this song? : Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins number one... and When you say Miami, you're talkin' Super Bowl!

That song created: April, 1972... After the first and only undefeated season...

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bubba is one of the top 3 catching tight ends... McMichael has more speed, Bubba has more consistant hands, but McMichael trails only Tony Gonzalez in athleticism... McMichael made some ridiculous, absolutely incredible catches last year...
It does not matter because we all know who's The Best TE

Mr. Jeremy Shockey for my New York Football Giants.

I had him #1 on my fantasy board last year and it paid off.

Ok you can go back to your debating.

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
Must you make it so easy for me to win this debate?

Dan Marino better then FAVRE??!!! Wheres the ring??! Where is the 3 MVPS?? Nobody, NOBODY has 3 mvps! Nobody! But Favre! No way will Griese EVER be better then Favre. NEVER!

AhmaN Green (not Ahmed, shows how much you know right there spelling a SUPER STARS name wrong :rolleyes: ) is much more complete! Ahman is good for 2000 total yards a season. 1,300 yds rushing, and about 700 yds recieving. With 10-15 TD's to go with it. Ahman is one of the 5 fastest players in football! :rolleyes: Ahman is so fast, he makes Ricky seem like Gilbert Brown or Tim Bowens!

Donald Driver is so much better then Chambers it isn't even close. MOSS like abilities for Chambers? Moss is easily or will easily be the greast WR now or when he retires. Comparing Chambers to Moss is like comparing Damon Huard or Ray Lucas to Brett Favre! Driver is better stat wise and thats what counts. Period. You hear everyone sit here and bullsh*t about ability and stuff. In the end thats all it is, is bullsh*t. Because in the end its the STATS that count. Not vertical jumps and 40 times. :rolleyes: Driver is only a little older the Chambers. I'd take Javon Walker or Robert Ferguson over Chambers in a New York Minute! If you are going by ability, then the Packers have 3 of the best WR's in football.

As far as D-Backs go, Terrell Buckley is a waste and was a washup the moment he entered this league. I should know, its my Packers that wasted the 3 overall pick in 1st round of the 1992 draft! He SUCKS! He couldn't even make the Patriots last year! And you should know being in their division that the Patriots had a piss poor Pass Defense last year. And Sammy Knight is an excellent signing. But let me brake DB's down match for match...

FS- Darren Sharper vs. Brock Marion advantage SHARPER (Packers)
SS- Marques Anderson vs. Sammy Knight advantage KNIGHT (Dolphins)
CB- Mike McKenzie vs. Patrick Surtain (as in CERTAN to get the INT :rolleyes: ) advantage MC KENZIE (Packers) - -why you ask? he may not get the INT's but good ol #34 McKenzie is a shut down cover back and better tackler- -
CB- Al Harris vs. Sam Madison advantage MADISON (Dolphins) - -Is that really even debatable?- -
Nickel Back- Bryant Westbrook vs. Terrel Buckley advantage WESTBROOK - -Give me a break, Buckley is about as bad a DB as they come, Westbrook has starter potential for most teams- -

Overall: Even

Even though the Packers won 3-2, I say even because the Packers have 1 Pro Bowler of the bunch (Sharper), and a 2 time pro bowl alternate who played in a Pro Bowl (McKenzie), so we have 2 Pro Bowlers. You guys have 4. And well 2 Pro Bowl Safteys and 4 Pro Bowlers is better then 2.

But still stats are what it boils down to and last year the Pack had better stats on Pass D. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Dolphins were better this year.

Here are my credentials...

In conclusion, not to brag, but you can see Football is clearly my area of Expertise. I study football religously. I do the football picks for anarea News Paper and I am only 14. I have been called a football guru, and share my analysis of the weekly games. Last year I called all of the teams records in the NFL right, and called the Super Bowl Score right. And had one Super Bowl team right. Packers over Raiders 48-21 was my prediction, turned out that it was my 2nd NFC pick the Bucs over the Raiders by that very score.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Even though the Packers won 3-2, I say even because the Packers have 1 Pro Bowler of the bunch (Sharper), and a 2 time pro bowl alternate who played in a Pro Bowl (McKenzie), so we have 2 Pro Bowlers. You guys have 4. And well 2 Pro Bowl Safteys and 4 Pro Bowlers is better then 2.

Ahman is good for 2000 total yards a season.

Dan Marino better then FAVRE??!!! Wheres the ring??!

In the end thats all it is, is bullsh*t. Because in the end its the STATS that count.
Acually we have 9 Pro Bowlers/ Former Pro Bowlers on our Defense. And on the conerbacks comparison, switch Surtain on Harrris, Surtain wins. Than compare Madison and McKenzie, Madison wins (I still think Surtain is better).

I am pretty sure Ricky had 2,200 total yards last year, so once again you lose that one...

Marino doesn't have a ring because he never had run support, the defense, or both. He does have about EVERY record for quarterbacks though, by about 10,000 yards and 100 touchdowns... Marino WAS individually the greatest QB of all time I think, but if you don't buy that, then he IS w/o a doubt better than Farve. Hands down, no contest.

That is sooo ignorant. Stats help you identify how good someone was overall, but when it comes to the one play to win the game for my team, I want Chris Chambers catching the ball, NOT Driver. The only reason Driver did better: Chambers was injured and out for three games, Driver had many more passes thrown his way, and his quarterback is Farve compaired to Fiedler and Lucas. Give Chris Chambers Brett Farve he catches for 1,100-1,400 yards!

I'm not doubting your football expretise, but you have to learn something. To be an analysis, you MUST NOT be a fan. You clearly favor the Packers. You cannot do that. They are a good/great team but not as amazing as you potray them to be. If you can't admit Miami had a better D, a better RB, and a WR and TE with much more potential then your best ones, you are not a real analysis, and never will be.

Top Bottom