What's new

D-Rays Orlando Series

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score
What does everyone on this board think of the D-Rays playing a weekend series at the Disney / ABC Wide World of Sports Stadium in Orlando? I kind of wished we had thought of this before they did. It seems as if the D-Rays are really reaching out better to baseball fans throughout the entire state. I would love for the Marlins to play a series in Jacksonville at the Baseball Grounds. It is a great venue that seats about 11K. The Marlins need to build a better fanbase outside South Florida.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins need a better fanbase in South Florida.

Terrible idea to outsource home games.

Doesnt that complex in the WWoS only seat like 5-8,000 people?

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would never want the Marlins to play a home game elsewhere. Fans in Orlando don't need to won over, and if we want them to favor us over the Devil Rays, we could always win more than them.

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
The stadium seats with OF berm seats better than 11,000. This is more than the Rays get for a regular game. Due to the novelty of the game and its proximity I've got tickets for the first game there against the Rangers.

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score
The stadium seats with OF berm seats better than 11,000. This is more than the Rays get for a regular game. Due to the novelty of the game and its proximity I've got tickets for the first game there against the Rangers.

Unless the Yankees are playing there. :p

Apparently the Baseball Grounds in Jacksonville was built with expansion in mind...from MLB, and to the park itself should Jacksonville ever be awarded a franchise(or a relocated franchise).

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score

Unless the Yankees are playing there. :p
By regular game I mean one that they don't play the Red Sox or Yanks,anyone else including our fish they usually have less than 10K

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
Apparently the Baseball Grounds in Jacksonville was built with expansion in mind...from MLB, and to the park itself should Jacksonville ever be awarded a franchise(or a relocated franchise).

I was under the impression that the Baseball Grounds were built with expansion in mind in order to attract a AAA team, not positive though.

I was under the impression that the Baseball Grounds were built with expansion in mind in order to attract a AAA team, not positive though.

Either/or I would imagine.

Your most likely correct that it is primarily to attract AAA, but IMO could be expanded to accommodate MLB(to me, it looks like a miniaturized PNC Park).

Jacksonville is just realistic in realizing that it is a long time coming before MLB moves or puts a team in Jacksonville.

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score

Either/or I would imagine.

Your most likely correct that it is primarily to attract AAA, but IMO could be expanded to accommodate MLB(to me, it looks like a miniaturized PNC Park).

Jacksonville is just realistic in realizing that it is a long time coming before MLB moves or puts a team in Jacksonville.

I don't think Jville would have the attendance support for MLB. 81 home games is way too many for this market. NBA / NHL may have been a reality had they built the new arena 17K or better. They chose not to though. They went with 9K for basketball / hockey games and 11K for concerts. That was a waste IMHO :thumbdown

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
What does everyone on this board think of the D-Rays playing a weekend series at the Disney / ABC Wide World of Sports Stadium in Orlando? I kind of wished we had thought of this before they did. It seems as if the D-Rays are really reaching out better to baseball fans throughout the entire state. I would love for the Marlins to play a series in Jacksonville at the Baseball Grounds. It is a great venue that seats about 11K. The Marlins need to build a better fanbase outside South Florida.

Terrible idea. No one from jacksonville is coming to games on a consistent basis. As others have said we need to work on getting fans in the tri county area instead of going 6 hours out of the way.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins don't need a fanbase outside of South Florida. We have 6 million people down here and Orlando is 3 and a half hours away.

Reaction score
Just to get everything out there about this series...

great idea by tampa since they dont get any fans where theyre at now.

i work in the ticket office at disney and heres what weve done so far...

tuesday night about 3800 sold
wenesday night about 4400 sold
thursday about 3500

we call "11,000" a sell out but we really only fit 10400 in the stadium comfortable.

with every ticket bought to the games u get a voucher for a free game in tampa. EXCLUDES Yankees, Red Sox, As, White Sox, Indians and Tigers and Angels.

thats what weve got so far.

like i posted the other day...if Sosa is at 598 at this time...there should be more attending and itd be a great story to happen at a ballpark thats known for spring training games.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just to get everything out there about this series...

great idea by tampa since they dont get any fans where theyre at now.

i work in the ticket office at disney and heres what weve done so far...

tuesday night about 3800 sold
wenesday night about 4400 sold
thursday about 3500

we call "11,000" a sell out but we really only fit 10400 in the stadium comfortable.

with every ticket bought to the games u get a voucher for a free game in tampa. EXCLUDES Yankees, Red Sox, As, White Sox, Indians and Tigers and Angels.

thats what weve got so far.

like i posted the other day...if Sosa is at 598 at this time...there should be more attending and itd be a great story to happen at a ballpark thats known for spring training games.

Ha who can you see then...

3,800? And you want the marlins in orlando?

Reaction score
yes i want the marlins in orlando. the series only has drawn 12,000 because its the RAYS and RANGERS. with the exception of seeing one of the best Ifs in baseball, the rangers dont have much to offer. and the rays are the rays. i think orlando would be a great spot for a full time team. i dont think you can judge the fan basis on one series that features 2 of the worst teams on paper in MLB. call what you want, but in my personal opinion it would be great to see someone rich, like disney, or something to buy the land and make one of the coolest stadiums and put a team on the field. the braves draw very well here in spring training and i dont see why it would be any other way with a full time team, especially being in a high tourist city like disney. i might have lost and rambled through this because im tired, but it would be different if it werent the rays

good night

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
yes i want the marlins in orlando. the series only has drawn 12,000 because its the RAYS and RANGERS. with the exception of seeing one of the best Ifs in baseball, the rangers dont have much to offer. and the rays are the rays. i think orlando would be a great spot for a full time team. i dont think you can judge the fan basis on one series that features 2 of the worst teams on paper in MLB. call what you want, but in my personal opinion it would be great to see someone rich, like disney, or something to buy the land and make one of the coolest stadiums and put a team on the field. the braves draw very well here in spring training and i dont see why it would be any other way with a full time team, especially being in a high tourist city like disney. i might have lost and rambled through this because im tired, but it would be different if it werent the rays

good night

Disney already had a team and that didnt work out so they sold it. Put it this way, Milwaukee had two crappy teams (and 10 dollar tickets) and sold 19,000. I mean if the marlins were going to leave to a new city it would be one that would increase attendance not be the same or probably worse.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score

good night

I dont think this series features two of the worst teams on paper in MLB. Teixeira, Young, Kinsler, Sosa make this a fun team to watch and the DRays with Upton, Dukes, Young, Crawford and Rocco are one of the most exciting teams to watch in all of baseball. If people there aren't excited over the chance to see three regular season MLB games when they usually get none, I dont think its be so different with a full time team. There would be more excitement at first for sure, but then I suppose it would become usual and average as the excitement wears off. Drawing well for Braves spring training isnt a good comparison either. Drawing well for ST and regular season means much different things and I would assume many of the regulars are Braves fans. Cardinals fans flock to Jupiter during the spring, those arent Marlins fans filling the stands for Cards games.

Top Bottom