What's new

D.Willis

LiLLaz#8

Iheard in another marlins board that dontrelle willis may come up to the majors in the next couple of weeks. :w00t

I wouldn't be surprised especially if Wayne is not an aid to the team.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
credit sunsentinel.com
HOUSTON ? The Marlins' pitching staff is in disarray, but help could soon be on the way.

Left-hander Dontrelle Willis, who is roaring through the Double-A Southern League with the Carolina Mudcats, could be promoted to the big leagues in the next two weeks, according to industry sources.

Marlins farm director Marc DelPiano refused to comment on Willis' potential arrival date but did vouch for his preparedness.

"All the indications are this guy is ready to compete at the major league level," DelPiano said. "He has an infectious personality. He's very animated, and I think it rubs off on everybody. He comes to the park every day with a smile on his face and a terrific work ethic."

Willis, 21, has made five Double-A starts, compiling a 3-0 record and 1.27 ERA. In 281/3 innings he has allowed a .212 batting average. He attended his first Marlins spring training this year and posted a 3.27 ERA in five outings.

The Marlins' Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2002, Willis was acquired in the March 2002 deal that sent Antonio Alfonseca and Matt Clement to the Chicago Cubs.

DelPiano has been through Zebulon, N.C., already this year to scout Willis, as have Jim Fleming, who oversees scouting and player development for the Marlins, minor league pitching coordinator Wayne Rosenthal and minor league field coordinator Doug Davis.

All are in agreement: Willis is ready.

"I think he's ready, but it's one of those things where you're never going to fully know until he goes out and toes the rubber [in the majors]," DelPiano said of the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder. "He's thrown in front of big crowds. He had the major league spring training experience. He's certainly dominated in Double-A.

"There's generally no fear in anything he does. The biggest thing you worry about is will he be able to settle in and curtail his emotions and do what he can do?"

That could be one reason why the Marlins, having lost staff ace A.J. Burnett (elbow surgery) for the season and lefty Mark Redman (broken thumb) for two to four weeks, are delaying Willis' arrival. Club officials also would like to see him be more efficient within his 100-pitch limit.

Another possible explanation is economic. Clubs often keep their star prospects in the minor leagues for five or six weeks of the regular season in order to delay their eligibility for salary arbitration.

Under the Basic Agreement, players with three years of service time are eligible for arbitration as well as the top 17 percent of those with two-plus years. The cutoff for that distinction fluctuates from year to year but generally falls in the 130- to 140-day range.

Because 172 days constitutes a full year of service and last year's cutoff was 137 days in the third year, the 35th day of this season could carry some significance. The Marlins will mark Day 35 Sunday at Minute Maid Park.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea i hope he can come up because Justin Wayne and tejera have been struggling a bit even though i Like Justin Wayne but im not so sure how his next ourting is going to be. Dontrel brings good stuff to this team he has a lively fastball and most of all he is fun to watch and has great command of his pitches. I wont be shocked if he comes up to be in the rotation/Bullpen...

Jack1

How about Nate Bump? He hasn't been scored on in the last 12 innings and he certainly has paid his dues. I am trying to think of others at Albuquerque but they are short handed in the starting pitcher dept too. Kevin Olsen & Mike Judd are both on the DL.

MarlinsFans46

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think they should call Nate Bump up, and bring Willis to fill his spot to see if he can succeed in AAA.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think they should call Nate Bump up, and bring Willis to fill his spot to see if he can succeed in AAA.
Great Idea...we should call Bump up and bring up DW to AAA to see how he does there. Mean while we can bring up Bump. He hasgreat stuff and can bein the bullpen or something. I think the Marlins should do this little idea we have. That wil be good for both The pitchers and for us....

LiLLaz#8

Justin wayne had another bad and sucky performance so that should be it for him hopefully he will go to the minor leagues because he has sucked in his first two games this year so hopefully that's it for him and willis can come up to the majors because everytime that wayne pitches he losses the game so we got to get rid of him if we wan't to win so games. :angry

MarlinsGirl18

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow, going to bash a guy after 1 appearance. Justin Wayne has already done more in his life then you can ever dream of achieving. Jealousy is the root of all evil and you are just jealous of his talent. He's a great player, you just watch.

Admin ;)

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow, going to bash a guy after 1 appearance. Justin Wayne has already done more in his life then you can ever dream of achieving. Jealousy is the root of all evil and you are just jealous of his talent. He's a great player, you just watch.

Admin ;)
If I remember this is his second start where he blew The Big One

He did not prove anything last year when he came up so as far as I see it

TRADE HIM before his value is down to nothing. Add a good prospect with him and who knows maybe Webb from Arizona can be had.

LiLLaz#8

When is wayne going to become good because he has done real bad since last year so hopefully he will start winning before it is to late for him,but i got trust in wayne and i know he can do way better and he will do better he's probably just nervous. :cool

Rune: Prior to today's game, he did not pitch good but he did not pitch all that bad either. Tonight is his first bad appearance this season. He's had 2 starts. I like his make-up and I think of him as a Brad Penny type not a Ryan Dempster type.

Why should they trade him? I see no reason to.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Rune: Prior to today's game, he did not pitch good but he did not pitch all that bad either. Tonight is his first bad appearance this season. He's had 2 starts. I like his make-up and I think of him as a Brad Penny type not a Ryan Dempster type.

Why should they trade him? I see no reason to.
O come on! Two losses, I don't give a flying **** if he is young if you are called upon to deleiver WHEN YOUR TEAM NEEDS YOU. You have to perform. Clutch does not get better with age you have it or you don't and he sure as hell does not have it. He will be an average player at best in his career so why not trade him now?

You can't come out and say he'll be no good during his entire career off 2 losses this season. Come on Rune, you'd take him on the Phils probably.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Go back to my past comment

Being Clutch does not get better with age and you know he does not have it. What should we say it's not a big deal if he loses The 7th game of The World Series? He'll get them next year?

Your being foolish if you say that you would rather have Wayne than Webb?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
the guy is a command pitcher who right now has no command....

and to make matter worse, he doesnt throw that hard so not having his command makes him suffer....

this guy, right now flat out sucks.....he hasnt shown much while in the show and lets hope he figures it out before its too late

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Come on Rune, you'd take him on the Phils probably.
I sure as hell would not because he is trash! He is being called upon to ease The Marlins through without A.J., Has he done that?

Brett Myers is clutch... Mark Prior is clutch... Webb filling in for Johnson is clutch

Justin Wayne = Is nothing more than high quality trash

LiLLaz#8

who thinks this might be the perfect time to bring up willis for wayne. ;)

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Come on Rune, you'd take him on the Phils probably.
I sure as hell would not because he is trash! He is being called upon to ease The Marlins through without A.J., Has he done that?

Brett Myers is clutch... Mark Prior is clutch... Webb filling in for Johnson is clutch

Justin Wayne = Is nothing more than high quality trash I agree with rune..

Top Bottom