What's new

David Justice retires

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
ESPN Story

David Justice announced his retirement on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio on Thursday afternoon.

"Fourteen seasons is long enough," said Justice, whose teams made the playoffs in 12 of the 14 seasons he played. "I have a diminished desire to play."

Justice, who was a key player during the Atlanta Braves' dominance in the 1990s, ended his career after playing with four different teams. He won World Series titles with the Braves in 1995 and the New York Yankees in 2000.

Going into the 2002 season with the Oakland Athletics, Justice hinted it might be his last year.

"I don't foresee myself playing really past (2002)," Justice said in December 2001. "I'm going to think long and hard about it. I'm at that age now. When you get to be 36, you start thinking about when is time going to be up, and the fact that I don't have a contract after this year makes me think about it."

The three-time All-Star hit .266 with 11 home runs in 118 games last season with the Athletics. He didn't homer in his final 69 at-bats of the regular season and was 5 for 21 with no homers and four RBI in Oakland's AL Division Series loss to the Minnesota Twins.

Justice hit .279 with 305 homers and 1,017 RBI in 1,610 games in his career.

A's general manager Billy Beane said he plans to discuss with Justice staying with the organization in some capacity, possibly in a special assignment role. Beane said he was playing phone tag with Justice.

"We have to see what David wants to do, and maybe try to determine something for him,'' Beane said Thursday.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not surprised I knew he was retiring this year.

nobody

Muckdog
Reaction score
Crystal ball?
Psychic network?
Is your name Cleo by chance :whistle

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
he had a great career... i think he was in 12 postseasons in 14 years.....

a great postseason hitter and clubhouse leader

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yep that's right Ramp.

Justice, alway's seemed to get the job done when it was needed. Although he spent a lot of time in the NL, I will alway's think of him as an AL guy.

I'm glad though he did not turn into Conseco, or Henderson, which I thought he would have.

Realize your done and then enjoy retirement. I'm not a fan of announcer's like that(goofballs) but I can see him somewhere in announcing.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Crystal ball?
Psychic network?
Is your name Cleo by chance :whistle ah... is called common sense the guy gave hints during the season he was retiring. :rolleyes:

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Crystal ball?
Psychic network?
Is your name Cleo by chance :whistle ah... is called common sense the guy gave hints during the season he was retiring. :rolleyes: Not exactly...

He saw he was not going to get signed until at least the stretch, and hung them up.

If it was that he just didn't want to play anymore, he would have done it earlier not before Spring Training.

Latest posts

Top Bottom