What's new

David Murphy

Reaction score
MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

David Murphy Drawing Interest Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe had an interesting tidbit at the bottom of his column today. He says the Red Sox and Marlins haven't discussed center fielder David Murphy in a while, but Murphy is drawing interest from various clubs and talks could be renewed with Florida. Cafardo notes that the Fish might part with lower-ceiling guys like Ricky Nolasco or Yusmeiro Petit but want to keep Taylor Tankersley.

The Red Sox passed on Conor Jackson to take Murphy in the 2003 draft. Baseball America doesn't place him among Boston's top ten prospects, but considers his center field defense respectable. Murphy improved his production upon a promotion to Triple A in 2006. Translating his work at Pawtucket to a Major League Equivalent nets a .238/.311/.376 result. PECOTA sees something similar for '07. Remarkably, that'd be an improvement upon Marlins center fielders last season. By '08 Murphy could develop a little more power and become a solid regular.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
They should go for a center fielder with more upside. Murphy is just another one of the over-hyped, over-rated prospects of the Red Sox.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
They should go for a center fielder with more upside. Murphy is just another one of the over-hyped, over-rated prospects of the Red Sox.
like sanchez, hanley, delgado were?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
like sanchez, hanley, delgado were?

If you remember immediately after trading Beckett/Lowell for Ramirez et al, the Boston media was quick to imply Ramirez was in fact a fabrication Theo's hype machine and that he was nowhere near the player the Marlins thought they were getting. So who knows what's what when it comes to hype coming out of Beantown?

From what I've read recently this Murphy is nowhere near the talent equivalent of Nolasco or Tankersley but perhaps Petit although personally I think we're passing judgement on the kid way too early.

Nice to see Cafardo depends on minorleaguesplits.com. He really ought to give them attribution one of these days.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
If our FO really projects Murphy becoming an average CF then we trade Nolasco or Petit.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
If our FO really projects Murphy becoming an average CF then we trade Nolasco or Petit.
Can't see the Red Sox wanting a young starter when they are locked up for years with - Dice K, Beckett, Papelbon, Lester, Buchholz, and unlimited options of Wakefield. Don't think Petit, as a Carlos Silva type, projects well in the AL East as a HR tendency pitcher. I'm sure they'd take Nolasco, although I think that's a bit to much. I'd deal one of the RP prospects - Lindston, Vanden Hurk, etc, - or one of the non top starters, like Marceaux, and see if the Sox would bite. Maybe even throw in someone like Winters, or Julianel, who has some potential but nothing more then a bullpen arm. If not, no big deal. I think Murphy could hit .250/.325/.400 starting 90-100 games in 2007, and might be able to display full time starter potential if he can raise the batting average. He's got a good eye. Walks everywhere he's been. He is relatively neutral vs LHP and RHP so he wouldn't necessarily need a platoon partner either. I think he's worth a shot if the price is right. Worst case scenario, we have a useful bench OF for a few years instead of one additional arm in the bullpen bloodbath coming in 08/09.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lou I agree with you here. They might even take a player like Andino as a throw-in as well

Top Bottom