What's new

D'Backs Required to Sign Autographs

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Fans Will Have 10-Minute Window to Get Autographs

.c The Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. (Feb. 19) -- The Arizona Diamondbacks will have a mandatory 10-minute autograph session before every night home game.

Owner Jerry Colangelo said all team members except that night's starting pitcher will be required to sign for the fans.

After batting practice ends, approximately 1 hour, 40 minutes before gametime, players and coaches will be available to sign. The Bank One Ballpark scoreboard will count down the 10 minutes, and the visiting team will then be allowed to start batting practice.

Colangelo said Tuesday the autograph sessions are designed to help the team better connect with fans at time when the economy is soft and 10 percent of last year's season-ticket holders declined to renew.

"You better reach out, you better extend yourself, because it's the right thing to do. At this time and place, it's a requirement,'' he said.

There was some grumbling about disrupted pregame routines, but players generally endorsed the idea.

"I don't mind,'' closer Matt Mantei said. "I sign anyway.''

G

That's a cool idea. Give something back to the fans. When I go to Shea, the players are always relunctant to sign except for a few...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
thats a good idea...

most Marlins sign anyway(and those who dont, most dont care for *AGon*lol) so its not a problem here...

G

Exactly, the Marlins have ALWAYS been great about this. Whenever I see them at Shea, 3/4 of the team will sign autographs...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Finally there is someone smart enough to do that! the marlins should do this to brad penny and Pudge! They never sign especially penny although he is signing way more than last year.

Thats very good what the d-backs owner is doing. That is a great way to be with players and meeting them...

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
AGon has signed a lot of stuff for me...I think it's just the way you approach the player...if you look not really interested and like :rolleyes: about him, then that's what you get....As with Penny, in 2001, he wasn't really the "autograph signer", but in 2002 he was...Pudge, wow, really don't think he's the most difficult guy out there to get, might be one of the easiest.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
true, its happened a couple of times with me and AGon.... and that is when I liked him :lol

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Finally there is someone smart enough to do that! the marlins should do this to brad penny and Pudge! They never sign especially penny although he is signing way more than last year.

Thats very good what the d-backs owner is doing. That is a great way to be with players and meeting them...
Oh btw, I'm not sure if you remember this, you might have too young (like 6 or 7), but do you remember the Autograph Sunday's where tables were setup by Gate D and there were four players at the tables signing autographs to the first 600 (then changed to 400) fans? I know they got rid of that, but I know that the Marlins still have Family Sunday's. You can take a picture with a player and/or Billy. There's another thing called Bullpen buddies, that's an opportunity for kids 42" under to get autographs in the bullpen. But putting these programs aside...I think that the best thing that one as a fan could do, is show these players that you care. like I mentioned before if you look blah at them, they'll look back the same. Show them interest...see them as your friends....oh..and one thing...don't scream out AJ AJ AJ AJ AJ AJ 24/7, because that annoys the hell out of them. Be nice....think of how you would feel if you were a player and you had someone doing one the above mentioned things...How would you feel?

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thats a good idea every team should have that and is true mantei signs alot. If the marlins had that policy I'am sure D.Lee will mind he always avoids the fans...

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lowell read post above....D. Lee signs like crazy too...ask nicely and you'll receive.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
These are the players that will sign often from 1 to 10 :

1)castillo
2)Lowell
3)Juan Pierre
4)D.Lee
5)M.Tejera
6)AJ
7)Pudge
8)redmond
9)encarnacion
10)Penny

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
AGon has signed a lot of stuff for me
He isnt much of a signer......in the whole season i only got 2 auto's from him and none from penny untill this seasons fanfest and spring training!

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
players are humans....

treat them like one.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
AGon has signed a lot of stuff for me
He isnt much of a signer......in the whole season i only got 2 auto's from him how many do u need?

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
These are the players that will sign often from 1 to 10 :

1)castillo
2)Lowell
3)Juan Pierre
4)D.Lee
5)M.Tejera
6)AJ
7)Pudge
8)redmond
9)encarnacion
10)Penny
Tejera signs more than Lee. Lee after the game goes the way the fans are not in so how could I even ask him?

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I thought you said penny was hard to get......

Das I agree with you...

I think they are all easy to get and there's not set list...that's just my opinion...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Penny is very hard he only signed 1 autograph the last season!

Ramp: I got all the marlins already including PUDGE! :w00t

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Penny is very hard he only signed 1 autograph the last season!

Ramp: I got all the marlins already including PUDGE! :w00t
all im saying is once you have an autograph from a player, why do you need 10 more?

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I got about 3 or 4 of every player.As an autograph collector you need to keep on going and going ;)

Top Bottom