What's new

Dennis Rodman and the HOF

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gets my vote.. one of the best rebounders and defenders the NBA has ever seen. 5 rings

Thoughts?

Reaction score
The argument about the rings holds no weight but he does get my vote. He was the best defender in the league and one of the best rebounders ever. He is weird as hell but on the court he was a beast.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
What does his rings have to do with it? Should we put John Salley in the HOF?

I don't think he'll get in.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, whatever on the rings.. kinda just threw it in there. If the guy didnt win rings, who knows, we might not have ever got to talk about him. :mischief

...but the guy was a difference maker. Theres a guy who I want on my team.. someone who goes balls out every minute. Worm is a weird dude but that shouldnt matter, imo.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
For that 6 or 7 year stretch right before his Bulls run and then on the Bulls he was bar-none the best rebounder in the NBA. Given that the NBA hall of fame isn't the hall of fame but rather the hall of very good (given that there is not a single MVP winner not in the HOF) I'd stick the worm in.

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
If many "experts" I've heard out there don't think guys like Reggie Miller and Alonzo Mourning are Hall of Famers I'm going to have a tough time believing Rodman has a chance, despite all his jewlery.

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Love the worm, but probably shouldn't make it.

Reaction score
If many "experts" I've heard out there don't think guys like Reggie Miller and Alonzo Mourning are Hall of Famers I'm going to have a tough time believing Rodman has a chance, despite all his jewlery.
WHO thinks that Reggie Miller is not a HOFer. I could understand Zo not being a HOFer (although I think he gets in at somepoint) but Reggie Miller not being a HOFer, I dont believe any expert has said that.

SkyJuice

Muckdog
Reaction score
he gets my vote... when he was in his prime, he was unstoppable

Reaction score
Dennis Rodman will not make the hall of fame. Zo is very doubtful to make it also.

I think Reggie Miller is easily in- best shooter I've ever seen.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dennis Rodman will not make the hall of fame. Zo is very doubtful to make it also.

Rodman and Zo were the two premier defensive players in the league in the 90's. Zo is absolutely one of the best centers of all time and deserves his spot in the hall, and Rodman was just a freak on the boards, and a severly underrated player who deserves to be in.

Reaction score

Rodman and Zo were the two premier defensive players in the league in the 90's. Zo is absolutely one of the best centers of all time and deserves his spot in the hall, and Rodman was just a freak on the boards, and a severly underrated player who deserves to be in.

Rodman was more than a freak on the boards....hair colors, temperment, and bi-sexual....I doubt he'll ever get in

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
The fact is, Zo will have a hard time getting in and he is far more deserving than Rodman. While I loved watching Rodman, and he was/is very underrated, his overall game is very much remembered as a rebounder and good defender, however, his non-court related stuff (hair, arrests, relationships, partying) is remembered far more. Sure he was a two-time DPOY and a great rebounder, but he averaged double-digit points one time in his fifteen years. Also, for a great defender, he never averaged even 1 block or steal a game in any single season. He was also never better than the third best player on any of his championship teams. I just don't see him as a HOF player, no matter how much I personally like him.

PhxPhin

Muckdog
Reaction score
no way should mourning be in the hall - he's had a nice career, but nothing elite about it

won DPOY twice, but those were also the only two seasons he was named to the All Defense 1st team - in fact, he never even had any other seasons when he was all defensive 2nd team - those were also the only two seasons he made the all nba first or second teams

he had one season where he was top 10 in rebounds

one season where he was top 10 in ppg

a career 18 & 9 guy - combine that with his excellent block #s (9 times in the leagues top 10) and you have a very nice player - not a hall of famer

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
no way should mourning be in the hall - he's had a nice career, but nothing elite about it

won DPOY twice, but those were also the only two seasons he was named to the All Defense 1st team - in fact, he never even had any other seasons when he was all defensive 2nd team - those were also the only two seasons he made the all nba first or second teams

he had one season where he was top 10 in rebounds

one season where he was top 10 in ppg

a career 18 & 9 guy - combine that with his excellent block #s (9 times in the leagues top 10) and you have a very nice player - not a hall of famer

Well, you have to factor in Alonzo's kidney disorder too and what he has accomplished before it. Before the disorder, he was above a career 20 and 10 and 3+ blocks per game player. Prior to the disorder, he was coming off back-to-back DPOY awards (in seasons where combined to avg about 21ppg, 10rpg and 3.8bpg), and would have more than likely, at the very least, been in serious contention for a few more (and at the very least, been on several all defense teams). A complete player, despite being undersized at the center position, Zo was someone who affected both sides of the floor. In my opinion, all things considered, he should be a HOFer.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
The fact is, Zo will have a hard time getting in and he is far more deserving than Rodman. While I loved watching Rodman, and he was/is very underrated, his overall game is very much remembered as a rebounder and good defender, however, his non-court related stuff (hair, arrests, relationships, partying) is remembered far more. Sure he was a two-time DPOY and a great rebounder, but he averaged double-digit points one time in his fifteen years. Also, for a great defender, he never averaged even 1 block or steal a game in any single season. He was also never better than the third best player on any of his championship teams. I just don't see him as a HOF player, no matter how much I personally like him.
You're slighting his defense.. He's one of the greatest defenders you'll ever see. And the block/steal stats, it doesnt matter.. he could totally dominate a player just by getting in his head. He got crap in SA, but David Robinson got his only MVP with Worm next to him.

Just look at the endorsements he's getting from some of the all-time greats. (Isiah, Scottie, Kareem, MJ)

We'll never see a team with 3 defenders like MJ, Scottie and Rodman.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dwyane Wade is not an elite defender.. from what I've seen, he's average at best. That being said, top 5 player in the league. Thats a different conversation though.

Reaction score
Dwyane Wade is not an elite defender.. from what I've seen, he's average at best. That being said, top 5 player in the league. Thats a different conversation though.
Wade is a great defender. I dont think you give him the credit he deserves on defense. He is the best off the ball defender in the league. He is averaging 1+ block and 2+ steals a game. His on the ball defending is very good and it is getting better every year.

Top Bottom