What's new

Devil Rays to drop the Devil next year

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
You can call them Rays
Thursday, Feb 8, 2007 1:06 pm EST

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are expected to unveil new logos, colors and uniforms for the 2008 season. After club officials considered a complete nickname overhaul to mark the end of the franchise's first decade, they instead have reportedly decided to dump the Devil and simply go by the Rays.
The new color scheme, expected to be heavy on blue, perhaps with yellow accompaniments, isn't likely to be unveiled until after this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yo...F?urn=mlb,23978

the announcers have been just calling them the rays for the past few years, it's like the devil doesn't exist, like the a's, bucs, knicks, and a couple of others i forgotten. this is the next logical step to just drop the devil altogether, but i'm sorta not impressed saying they may drop the whole fish theme for something else entirely, like rays of a sun. yuck.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
They should just change the entire name. Rays just makes everyone think of losers. Its pretty bad that when people offer me tickets to the redsox vs rays (for free) I turn them down because I dont want to see them. They are just a really sad franchise.

FlummoxedLummox

I think it's a good move. The shortened "Rays" is much better than the longer version. I'm interested to see the new uniforms.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Look at the Oilers in football. When the moved to Tenn they were still called the oilers, a name not associated with winning. Just changing the name to Titans made people look at that organization differently.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
They need way more than droppign the Devil in their name. I wouldn't say it's time to move them out of Tampa, but if they're going to this they might as well change the entire name and logo.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
They are the worse organization in baseball, their FO is absolutely horrible. As much as I hate Loris I have to admit the D-Rays ownership isn't much better. I expected Gerry Hunsicker to be a positive addition to their baseball operations but all we see is more of the same

Markickass21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Don't leave the AL East! The Orioles need someone to make them look half decent every year!

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score
Don't leave the AL East! The Orioles need someone to make them look half decent every year!
:lol So true.

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
do you think the devil rays are the mlb's version of the saints prior to jim mora? i think so.

i say they will make the world series in 2038.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
As far as contracting the Devil Rays............tell that to their hardcore fans and the baseball fans of Tampa Bay. Just because they have been struggling and are in a highly competitive division doesnt mean they should be contracted.

And to be quite honest, I enjoy watching their games. They always put up a fight and have some really exciting players (You just gotta love Carl Crawford and Kazmir).

As far as dropping the Devil. Ghey.

They'll always be known as the D-Rays to me.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
As far as contracting the Devil Rays............tell that to their hardcore fans and the baseball fans of Tampa Bay.
I already told it to both of them. They were cool with it.
zing

rorod

Muckdog
Reaction score
As far as contracting the Devil Rays............tell that to their hardcore fans and the baseball fans of Tampa Bay.
nah. im not a dray fan but i definitley am excited to see crawford baldelli young upton kazmir cantu gomez...they are up and coming

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
wont make any difference they still stink but as far as contracting goes I am not in favor of that i think as a Marlins fan the notion of contraction strikes a nerve a little to close to home.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
yeah, it's kinda amusing to watch marlins fans talk about contracting or moving another team.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's taking them entirely too long to produce quality major league pitchers out of their farm system. The only one to do so was a product of the Mets system as it is. Sad part is that they seem so desperate to find a good pitching prospect, when they do they end up rushing him to majors (Dewon Brazelton).

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score

:|

yeah, it's kinda amusing to watch marlins fans talk about contracting or moving another team.

I know. I can't even believe I'm reading some of these posts.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bottom line is, there are multiple reasons for the Marlins troubles that could easily be corrected if given a stadium (which the Devil Rays have). Very few teams have gone through similiar struggles in getting a new park built. At least the franchise has shown signs of greatness over a short history. Dynasties could easily have been built if not for some would be minor factors.

Tampa Bay clearly has been a bad idea from the start. Unless they move out of the AL East they will never see the playoffs and will only continue to remain stagnant with their sorry excuse for a fanbase.

I don't have to much of a problem with your entire post with the exception of the last part of your last sentence.

It could be argued that the Marlins have a "sorry excuse for a fanbase" as well. (I'm obviously not referring to the members of this forum).

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
I never said they didn't.

So should the Marlins be contracted?

Top Bottom