What's new

Did anyone else realize we had Johan Santana on the Marlins?

Mudcatsfan2

Muckdog
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying...

:banghead

Ok, I knew that Santana was a Rule 5 pickup by Minnesota.

What i didn't realize was teh following:

December 13, 1999: Drafted by the Florida Marlins from the Houston Astros in the 1999 rule V draft.

December 13, 1999: Traded by the Florida Marlins with cash to the Minnesota Twins for Jared Camp (minors).

We actually HAD HIM!!!

The second line is priceless. We traded him WITH cash for Jared Camp.

I know no one realized what he'd become, but it's fun to think of what we could have done with him in the rotation along with Beckett, Willis, Burnett, etc.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Basically one of million live arm types in the game with question marks all over the place....extremely hard to predict out that group who stays healthy and who makes the successful leap to the bigs.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
We also drafted Randy Winn, and drafted (but failed to sign) Adam LaRoche twice.

But, worst of all, we drafted JEFF ALLISON. :thumbdown

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, and we also had: Gary Sheffield, Moises Alou, Pudge Rodriguez, Derrek Lee,
Josh Beckett, and several other good players that we gave away via trades
and fire sales.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't we have Adrian Gonzalez once as well? I believe he was sent off in that Urbina deal in 03?

FishFan24

Muckdog
Reaction score
Since 1999, how many World Titles do the Twins have with Santana? How many do the Marlins have without Santana?

Exactly.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Since 1999, how many World Titles do the Twins have with Santana? How many do the Marlins have without Santana?

Exactly.
lol, because that has any relevance right now

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
December 13, 1999: Drafted by the Florida Marlins from the Houston Astros in the 1999 rule V draft.

December 13, 1999: Traded by the Florida Marlins with cash to the Minnesota Twins for Jared Camp (minors).
That's not the complete story and I'm too lazy to explain it. Google marlins johan santana trade twins rule 5 draft and you should get what really happened.

FishFan24

Muckdog
Reaction score

Exactly.
lol, because that has any relevance right now

I know, it just popped in there. :mischief

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
we drafted santana for the twins basically. for whatever reason the scouts at the time liked camp. *shrugs*

thats the way scouting goes sometimes. win some and you lose some.

in regards to us having santana for probably 2 hours:

big deal, so what, who cares.

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
Same as the deal that the Cubs drafted Josh Hamilton this year and traded him to the Reds for CASH. This happens all the time when a team wants to draft a certain player they covet, but have a lot of teams ahead of them picking ahead of them.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't we have Adrian Gonzalez once as well? I believe he was sent off in that Urbina deal in 03?
yep. yep.

We also drafted Randy Winn, and drafted (but failed to sign) Adam LaRoche twice.

But, worst of all, we drafted JEFF ALLISON. :thumbdown
He was a good player, if it wasn't for the cocaine. I read on the back of his baseball card that he didn't allow a single run in his entire high school career.

Top Bottom