What's new

Did anyone else realize we had Johan Santana on the Marlins?

DcFishFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't we have Adrian Gonzalez once as well? I believe he was sent off in that Urbina deal in 03?
yep. yep.

We also drafted Randy Winn, and drafted (but failed to sign) Adam LaRoche twice.

But, worst of all, we drafted JEFF ALLISON. :thumbdown
He was a good player, if it wasn't for the cocaine. I read on the back of his baseball card that he didn't allow a single run in his entire high school career.

allison then used the card to separate his lines of coke for the evening.

low blow, i know.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't we have Adrian Gonzalez once as well? I believe he was sent off in that Urbina deal in 03?
yep. yep.

We also drafted Randy Winn, and drafted (but failed to sign) Adam LaRoche twice.

He was a good player, if it wasn't for the cocaine. I read on the back of his baseball card that he didn't allow a single run in his entire high school career.

allison then used the card to separate his lines of coke for the evening.

low blow, i know.

Pun intended? :lol

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score

We also drafted Josh Booty as a SS with the fist overall draft pick...Over Nomar Garciaparra!

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score

We also drafted Josh Booty as a SS with the fist overall draft pick...Over Nomar Garciaparra!
Yes, and we paid him more than Nomar to sign. :blink:

Allison was actually addicted to OxyContin for awhile, not cocaine (maybe it was just recently).

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
We also had Yusmeiro Petit.

Thank God. I still believe he could be doing more damage than Julio right now.

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember ST 2000? Camp was real close to making the team, I mean close enough for the Marlins to think about sending down Penny I also believe AJ was hurt as usual during that ST. Also Booty wasn't the first overall pick in the 1994 draft, I believe the great Paul Wilson was.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
We also had Yusmeiro Petit.

Thank God. I still believe he could be doing more damage than Julio right now.

The only difference is we wouldn't have had to sit through a week of Petit news.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
No one has a crystal ball to pick players. You just have to look at overall trends and success of the franchise.

We have and had our share of good young players. I think our success with young players can be compared with most team, not named the Braves.

It is not only about picking the right players. IMHO (I could be wrong, since by no means I'm an expert), coaching and preparation at the minors play a big role as well. I think that's where the Braves have the edge.

"If a man didn't make mistakes he'd own the world in a month. . . ." Jesse Livermore (Super Market Trader and Speculator)

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Twins had the first pick and everyone wanted Camp so much that they chose him to leverage a trade.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember ST 2000? Camp was real close to making the team, I mean close enough for the Marlins to think about sending down Penny I also believe AJ was hurt as usual during that ST. Also Booty wasn't the first overall pick in the 1994 draft, I believe the great Paul Wilson was.
You are right my old age is catching up to me...he was the first SS taken
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft/1994/Round-1-1.shtml

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
This has to be the thread of ever.

Did anyone realize you guys won 2 world series?

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
This has to be the thread of ever.

Did anyone realize you guys won 2 world series?

What has you done for me lately? . . . .

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Twins had the first pick and everyone wanted Camp so much that they chose him to leverage a trade.
The Twins had the top pick and they wanted Santana, not Camp.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/major...res/262670.html

The Rule 5 Draft's Biggest Gem

The Twins are getting plenty of acclaim lately for stealing pitchers Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser from the Giants in exchange for A.J. Pierzynski before the 2004 season. But the Santana acquisition should not be forgotten.

He was originally signed by Houston in 1996. By 1999, he was the No. 2 starter at low Class A Michigan, behind Roy Oswalt and ahead of his roommate Tim Redding.

Santana was 8-8, 4.66 in 1999 and was left off the Astros' 40-man roster, making him eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

The Twins' Midwest League manager at the time, Jose Marzan, recommended that the Twins consider Santana after watching him pitch a couple of times.

Marzan, now the Twins' Latin American coordinator, liked Santana's arm strength and his athleticism, though he had little other than a fastball.

The Twins were going to select Santana with the first pick in the 2000 Rule 5 draft, but the Marlins were worried the Twins were after their man, Jared Camp. So Florida agreed to select Santana with the second pick and trade him to the Twins--plus cash--if the Twins took Camp. Sure, the Twins said.

markotsay7

Ya, and we also had trevor hoffman.
You do realize that trade netted us Gary Sheffield, right?

There's no crystal ball to tell who's going to super develop and who isn't. Things don't turn out as expected. If they did, the Mets would still be winning with their big three of Isringhausen/Wilson/Pulsipher. So we traded Adrian Gonzalez. To. Get. Ugueth. Urbina. If we had him in our organization what would he be doing? Urbina helped us win a World Series (remember that?).

This is the worst thread in the history of this forum.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Twins had the top pick and they wanted Santana, not Camp.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/major...res/262670.html

The Rule 5 Draft's Biggest Gem

The Twins are getting plenty of acclaim lately for stealing pitchers Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser from the Giants in exchange for A.J. Pierzynski before the 2004 season. But the Santana acquisition should not be forgotten.

He was originally signed by Houston in 1996. By 1999, he was the No. 2 starter at low Class A Michigan, behind Roy Oswalt and ahead of his roommate Tim Redding.

Santana was 8-8, 4.66 in 1999 and was left off the Astros' 40-man roster, making him eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

The Twins' Midwest League manager at the time, Jose Marzan, recommended that the Twins consider Santana after watching him pitch a couple of times.

Marzan, now the Twins' Latin American coordinator, liked Santana's arm strength and his athleticism, though he had little other than a fastball.

The Twins were going to select Santana with the first pick in the 2000 Rule 5 draft, but the Marlins were worried the Twins were after their man, Jared Camp. So Florida agreed to select Santana with the second pick and trade him to the Twins--plus cash--if the Twins took Camp. Sure, the Twins said.
Like I said, everyone wanted Camp, who was coming off an outstanding Arizona Fall League stint. Not just the Marlins. So the Twins designed to select Camp then trade for Santana. It was a Webber/Hardaway deal. The Magic could have just picked Hardaway, but they didn't because they knew they could get something of value for Webber.

Top Bottom