What's new

Did the first game give anyone hope?

Reaction score
What did you guys think of the first game, I live in NJ so I have ti wait to SEE them, but what did you guys see and what did you guys like?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
hope for an undefeated season

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I said it in the game thread, and yeah it's only one game and against some mediocre pitching but seeing the guys making contact, even when making outs, I thought was very encouraging. De Aza's triple is a prime example of what Jack was talking about when he said good things happen when you put the ball in play.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
They played very well today. However its impossible to get anything from one game. Maybe after one week we can get some sort of picture...

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score
if the marlins cut down on all the K's and stay healthy...there is no reason to believe we cant be fighting for a playoff spot all year

Reaction score
They played very well today. However its impossible to get anything from one game. Maybe after one week we can get some sort of picture...
understand that, but I just wanted to see what positive things people saw in them, I live in NJ so I can't watch them play until they play the Mets (SNY) Braves (TBS) Cubs/White Sox (WGN) or are on an ESPN or Fox channel.

bmstew

Muckdog
Reaction score
This isn't football, so as others have said, it doesn't mean a whole lot, but a few things did encourage me a bit (keep in mind I didn't get to actually watch the game...I had to watch the MLB.com gamecast from school). That being said...

Cabrera's a stud. Good Lord the guy's just freakin's awesome.

As is Hanley Ramirez. Perhaps the best left side of an infield in all of baseball between these two.

De Aza looks promising, he really surprised me today.

Josh Willingham disappointed me today.

The most important thing I saw was NO RUNS GIVEN UP BY THE BULLPEN! That will definitely help if they can pitch that well all year. But jeez, Julio needs to find the strike zone...

As I said, though, it's only one game, so Willingham may come through yet, De Aza may suck yet, and the bullpen may find ways to implode big leads. I pray to God the last two things won't happen though.

All in all, a fantastic opening day for the Fish!

1-0!

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
understand that, but I just wanted to see what positive things people saw in them, I live in NJ so I can't watch them play until they play the Mets (SNY) Braves (TBS) Cubs/White Sox (WGN) or are on an ESPN or Fox channel.

They played very well. As long as they dont start 20 games under .500 and stay healthy, there is no reason they shouldnt be competitive.

mafatumatt

Muckdog
Reaction score
that was awesome to watch.

when hanley goes we go.

cabrera's a monster.

and his name is uggla.

great first game de aza. basically everyone looked good except borchard. willingham had some solid contact.

fantastic game willis, amazing game pen.

its just one game but happy to be off to a fun start.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
opening day is about having hope. . . so yes, I have faith and hope this team wins the World Series this year. Opening day is the best day of the season

OldSand

Muckdog
Reaction score
opening day is about having hope. . . so yes, I have faith and hope this team wins the World Series this year. Opening day is the best day of the season

...when you win.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I liked the 8 walks too. The '06 team was 13th in walks & 12th in on-base.

basically everyone looked good except borchard.

:headscratch
2 walks and an RBI is no good?

Ashley

Muckdog
Reaction score
I missed all the fun. :(
I won't be able to see a Marlins game for another 2 weeks or so.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Great point... Every time he reached base he was knocked in.

The main things I liked what I saw today:

- Hanley obviously. Had an awesome game and noticably got bigger physically.

- Miguel is a monster. The Nationals did NOT want to pitch to him, and when they did they realized why they didn't.

- Uggla shouldn't drop off too far from his rookie season. He made contact all day long, and sent two shots off the bat.

- Jacobs' opposite field hit. His swing to left field is just as pretty as it is to right.

- I think De Aza had more hits today than Reggie Abercrombie did last season. I really like him in that 8-hole.

- Henry Owens has disgusting stuff. Don't call me crazy, reminds me a lot of Brad Lidge.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
- I think De Aza had more hits today than Reggie Abercrombie did last season.
ha! Reggie laughs in your direction!

check baseball-reference.com for your stats!

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where is Reggie now? Has anyone spotted him at their local walmart?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where is Reggie now? Has anyone spotted him at their local walmart?
He is in AAA and had 3 homers in Spring Training for them

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
basically everyone looked good except borchard. willingham had some solid contact.

Everyone performed except Willingham, Borchard did very well.

Top Bottom