What's new

Do the Marlins have the best hitting infield in baseball?

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really like the Marlins infield as far as their offense goes. Off the top of my head I only think the Rangers, Phillies or Mets could make an argument that they are better. What do you guys think?

Juanky

Yankees?

We are up there, though, assuming that the MIF doesn't have a drastic sophomore slump. I'm not expecting it from Hanley, but I'm worried for Uggla. Then again, I was worried about his glove last year and he proved me wrong for the most part.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
1) Rangers
2) Phillies
3) Mets
4) Marlins
5) Cardinals
6) Brewers
7) Yankees
8) Dodgers

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Depends, does infield include catcher and ignore things such as K's?

There's no way we're the best in baseball, or even the best in the division.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
staying in the division, i'd say phili has a better infield, and the mets and the braves are about equal.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
Catchers are not infielders. Strikeouts have nothing to do with production numbers. I don't think the Yankees infield is better hitting than the Marlins. Mientkiewicz and Phillips or Phelps are platooning at first base and they will not provide much for them.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
Philly definitely takes it, and its hard to compare our IF to AL teams who have a 1b playing DH, which is where Jacobs would probably be in the AL.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
We are 2nd in the division behind Philly, although it could be a lot closer than we all think.

I'll tell you this, though. I'll take our infield going into the future. We are younger.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mets vs Marlins
Cabrera > Wright
Ramirez < Reyes
Uggla > Valentin
Jacobs < Delgado

Since the difference between Delgado and Jake is so huge, the Mets get a slight edge

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Philly definitely takes it, and its hard to compare our IF to AL teams who have a 1b playing DH, which is where Jacobs would probably be in the AL.
While true, I think AL teams take more defensive risks around the corners on the premise that if they don't work out there, there's always the DH. In the NL, you have to be mindful of each player's defensive abilities because they're starters or reserves and nothing in between.

Mets vs Marlins
Cabrera > Wright
Ramirez < Reyes
Uggla > Valentin
Jacobs < Delgado

Since the difference between Delgado and Jake is so huge, the Mets get a slight edge
I'd argue Hanley and Reyes are equals at the plate, but the Mets still have the overall advantage. As do the Phillies by a wide margin.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
While true, I think AL teams take more defensive risks around the corners on the premise that if they don't work out there, there's always the DH. In the NL, you have to be mindful of each player's defensive abilities because they're starters or reserves and nothing in between.

Mets vs Marlins
Cabrera > Wright
Ramirez < Reyes
Uggla > Valentin
Jacobs < Delgado

I'd argue Hanley and Reyes are equals at the plate, but the Mets still have the overall advantage. As do the Phillies by a wide margin.

Hanley had a great year and I love him but Reyes was even better, he should of been in the top 5 in the MVP votes if it wasnt an amazing year for the MVP race in the NL. His stats were absolutely disgusting.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

Mets vs Marlins
Cabrera > Wright
Ramirez < Reyes
Uggla > Valentin
Jacobs < Delgado

And I'd agree with you.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Reyes had a monster year, probably as good as Jeter...I don't believe he can do it again but at this point you have to say last season Reyes was better than Shadez although i believe Hanley will be better this season. Having said that you can't use inner gut when you make an objective comparison

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
My comparison of the two was based in part on the facts, reason and gut instinct. Each posted similar offensive numbers, one in a pitcher's environment and the other in a normally low to league-average offensive park. Reyes had better contact and speed stats with his steals and triples (that grossly inflated his slugging percentage, Ramirez has a .463 to Reyes .461, nearly a 10-point swing, when triples are counted as equal to doubles) while Ramirez had better power numbers with his doubles. Their minor league stats and major league appearances as well as their builds suggest some hint of truth into each player and their future. I doubt Reyes will be top 20 HRs often whereas Hanley will, but Reyes will make contact and have a high average. Ramirez has the stigma of being a rookie, being a Marlin, playing in an offensive-depressed ballpark, not having a SS or leadoff hitter's frame and so on. But he has every bit of talent as Reyes if not more. Like Cabrera vs. Wright, this should be a hell of battle over the years.

Reaction score
Mets vs Marlins
Cabrera > Wright
Ramirez < Reyes
Uggla > Valentin
Jacobs < Delgado

The difference is not as huge as Uggla vs. Valentin.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mets vs Marlins
Cabrera > Wright
Ramirez < Reyes
Uggla > Valentin
Jacobs < Delgado

The difference is not as huge as Uggla vs. Valentin.
Based on last years numbers, it isnt that much of a difference between Uggla and Valentin(220 or so at bat difference skews the numbers)

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
My comparison of the two was based in part on the facts, reason and gut instinct. Each posted similar offensive numbers, one in a pitcher's environment and the other in a normally low to league-average offensive park. Reyes had better contact and speed stats with his steals and triples (that grossly inflated his slugging percentage, Ramirez has a .463 to Reyes .461, nearly a 10-point swing, when triples are counted as equal to doubles) while Ramirez had better power numbers with his doubles. Their minor league stats and major league appearances as well as their builds suggest some hint of truth into each player and their future. I doubt Reyes will be top 20 HRs often whereas Hanley will, but Reyes will make contact and have a high average. Ramirez has the stigma of being a rookie, being a Marlin, playing in an offensive-depressed ballpark, not having a SS or leadoff hitter's frame and so on. But he has every bit of talent as Reyes if not more. Like Cabrera vs. Wright, this should be a hell of battle over the years.
I actually don't believe there will be a battle between Reyes and Hanley I believe Ramirez will assert himself as the superior hitter very soon but i based my comparison on last years stats only

Top Bottom