What's new

Dodgers make a BIG push for Lowell?

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
As I told you guys yesterday the LA is going to play a BIG part in any trade for Lowell and Castillo. According to Sunday LA Times/ Sun-Sentinal the Dodgers are offering the farm to get Lowell and Castillo.

here's some names to look for:

LHP Steve Colyer (future closer)
RHP Joel Hanrahan (front of rotation starter)
RHP Edwin Jackson (i think he is only 19???)
RHP Andrew Brown (future closer and stands 6'6")
2B Joe Thurston (i think he's a UT player at best)
OF Wilkin Ruan (speed, but no leadoff hitter)
OF Bubba Crosby (may develop into a solid hitter in the Majors)
C Koyie Hill (24 yr old switch-hitting catcher)
LHP Victor Alvarez (soft-tossing LH who may be better suited for Relief work like he is in Vegas)

the article says LA is offering RHP's Joel Hanrahan and Edwin Jackson, LHP Steve Colyer and 2B (top prospect) Joe Thurston could be included with Adrian Beltran who would be moved later.

Thoughts???

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
LHP Jonathan Figueroa was left out of the list but might the best of the LA arms. He's a young lefty who is only 19 with a low 90's fastball. He's a starter in Vero Beach, but if the Marlins are trying to get the best deal out of Cubs or Dodgers than this guy should be talk into the trade.

*a side note RHP Joel Hanrahan pitched a no-hitter against the Jupiter last season. I guess the Marlins brass was impressed.

JMLinkinPark

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thats Actually a Pretty Good Idea if we got Beltre. Move Cabrera to LF and Adrian Beltre Might Just need a Change of Scenery to Breakout.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Forget Beltre, he's underachieving and with Cabrera in the future he would be unnecessary salary. Doesn't he have a big contract?

Thurston and Hanrahan are the only prospects I've heard of, but admittedly I'm not a big minor league expert. I don't know whether dealing with the Dodgers or Cubs would be better. Chicago seems to have more major-league ready guys. Cruz, Zambrano, Bobby Hill, etc... But the Dodgers prospects may be higher rated...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Adrian Beltre 3B LAD Signed Apr 2000 - 3 years/$5.05M
2000: $0.5M (+$1.5M signing bonus)
2001: $0.75M
2002: $2.3M
2003: Arbitration eligible (4 years+)
-Renegotiated 2002 deal to include possible $250,000 bonuses based on PA

remember, Beltre has been in the league 5 years, but he is only 24...... he will break out....

if Lowell goes(God forbid)....I hope Beltre comes in return(assuming Cabs is in LF)

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
As far as this talk of Cabrera in left goes, Beinfest said the Marlins will not try to move Adrian Gonzalez, Jason Stokes, or Cabrera to the outfield in todays Miami Herald.

JMLinkinPark

Muckdog
Reaction score
This Might sound Stupid but Why Not See if Adrian Gonzalez Can Play some 2b?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
This Might sound Stupid but Why Not See if Adrian Gonzalez Can Play some 2b?
i think he is a big guy

MarlinsFans46

Muckdog
Reaction score
He is too big for second - not to mention he doesn't have the speed to get enough range playing there. For what it's worth, he was sent down to AA a couple days ago.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Adrian Beltre's making 3.7 million this year.

If the Marlins do their normal routine, he'll go to arbitration next year and make almost 5 million. I suppose if they only want to use Beltre for one season, they would save the money eventually, once Cabrera is ready they could deal Beltre again for more prospects....then you'd have gotten prospects for Lowell, prospects for Beltre, and still have Cabrera starting at 3B. That leaves the team with...well lots of prospects, as usual. :rolleyes:

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
remember, Beltre has been in the league 5 years, but he is only 24...... he will break out....

if Lowell goes(God forbid)....I hope Beltre comes in return(assuming Cabs is in LF)
I don't know about that. I thought this would be Beltre's make it or break it year and hitting .211 with just 4 HR to date is not bad, it's downright awful. I have heard so much hype on him and at one time I believed it and I truly like him and think he has so much potential but that botched appendix operation was two years ago and now is not valid. He may just go down as one of those players who never truly fills their potential for one reason or another.

Top Bottom