What's new

Does Baseball Tonight have an agenda?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
from sunsentinel.com
CINCINNATI ? The Baseball Tonight folks once again have irked the Marlins.

Saturday, it was Rob Dibble who drew the ire of some players for venomous criticism of the team replacing Jeff Torborg with Jack McKeon.

In addition to saying Torborg should not have been fired, Dibble ripped the club for recycling a manager instead of bringing on a deserving first-timer such as Willie Randolph or Ron Oester. Dibble then honed in on McKeon.

Though he has never played for McKeon, Dibble branded him a poor communicator and said he wasn't popular among his current players or the Reds when he managed them from 1997-2000.

"My father once told me it's better to be thought a fool than open up your mouth and remove the doubt," said McKeon, adding he has heard similar comments from Dibble in the past. "Oh, yeah. Then he'll call and apologize. He's got all the answers."

Closer Braden Looper took a call from Dibble before the team's first game in Los Angeles on May 16. Four games into McKeon's tenure, Looper hadn't formed much of an opinion of McKeon, but he told Dibble he seemed like a nice guy.

Dibble revealed he didn't like McKeon, prompting Looper to think there was some pre-existing animosity between the two.

"He lets us play, lets us relax," Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell said.

Baseball Tonight analysts Bobby Valentine and Peter Gammons also have angered team members with their comments about A.J. Burnett's injury and a supposed rift between catcher Pudge Rodriguez and right-hander Josh Beckett.

I saw this on Saturday night and it pissed me off..... Dibble is a bum

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
You betcha! But then again so does ESPN generally and QAM and the Herald and the Sun-Sentinel and every anglo (I can't speak to the spanish language) tv station in this market.

Keep in mind there is not one, NOT ONE, former professional baseball player broadcasting anywhere in south Florida. The mentality of the media is that there is football and everything else is an inconvenience to be covered only begrudgingly and with disdain. When you have this mindset, and media scum like Hank Goldberg and Dan LeBatard are asked by their ESPN brethern about the Marlins, you can easily imagine what they hear. It's like an infectious disease.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I dont even want to hear talk of a media bias exisiting, especially to the level and incorporating the media agents you do.

And I really dont want to hear race brought in.

Whine. Whine. Whine. Want some cheese with that?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Make mine cheddar thanks. :unsure :

What was the race thing? Were you referring to something I wrote?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Oh, I get it. You meant nationality not race. I was merely saying that because I'm not bilingual. I don't know how the Marlins are covered by spanish broadcasters because I no habla espanol. Unfortunately my high school spanish teacher was right that "one day, one day senor, you are going to wish you learned a little something in my class."

She was right, I was wrong but I knew SO MUCH when I was sixteen. :D

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Brad Penny and Jack McKeon fight back!
McKeon, though, did have a few syllables for former Reds relief pitcher Rob Dibble, now an ESPN analyst who smoked McKeon on the air Saturday on Baseball Tonight. Dibble said the game has passed by the 72-year-old McKeon and that all he did was sit in his office and smoke cigars (victory cigars this weekend).

Dibble added that McKeon didn't communicate with today's young players and that several (unnamed) Marlins players told him that McKeon doesn't talk to them.

"That's just Dibble running his big mouth again," McKeon said. "He did that when I was managing the Reds and later apologized when he wanted something. When he wants something again, he'll apologize again. Evidently, he hasn't read the papers. As my dad said (and Mark Twain), 'It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.' Dibble is a guy who has all the answers.?

McKeon has been Marlins manager for two weeks, all on the road, and the three baseball writers traveling with the club from Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach say they have yet to hear word one of criticism about McKeon.

Two Marlins veterans stood up for McKeon and Pudge Rodriguez said, "Who is that guy to speak for us?"

Pitcher Brad Penny, who beat the Reds on Saturday, plans to call Dibble and said, "That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Every time guys like him stop playing they know everything. Jack talks to everybody. Dibble made that up, he's lying. Most of our guys don't even know who Rob Dibble is."

credit: daytondailynews.com

snowstorm

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dibble's a jerk. He constantly bashes Griffey and his comments about Jack McKeon were out of line. Sometimes I think Dibble just does it to tick people off. He's a disgrace and I don't bother to listen to what he says anymore. :angry

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone remember the Dibble vs. Estes crap...

"He should have pounded a 95 mph fastball and hit him, I don't care if it missed the first time.. Estes is a wuss"

Dibble is a dumb@$$ retard with no brain.. in other words... a bum..

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
i didnt particularly like dibble much as a player neither....

my least favorite of the 'Nasty Boys'

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I liked Dibble as a Reds fan back when he was in the bullpen, but on ESPN he's basically just a dumb jock. He hasn't said one thing in that studio that makes me think he's worth being there.

By the way, Peter Gammonds gave Carl Pavano his player of the day honor (or something like that) for stepping up in his start against the Expos today. So maybe there's hope for Baseball Tonight after all.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
hmm

Sunday they do a piece on Dontrelle

Monday they give props to CP

if the Fish go on a major role, we may be a BBTN Fav :cool

Ravenlord

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dibble so badly wishes he was Jim Rome. all the way down to making stuff up. and then, when he wants something from you, appoligizing and buttering you up, etc...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why does Dibble (or Reynolds, or Gammons) open his pie hole and spew forth crap about the fish??? Easy, because it will get a reaction.

The Marlins have almost no national appeal, so when it does come to stories about the Marlins on national outlets like BBTN, you can bet it's going to be about controversy, it's the only thing that will appeal to some schmuck up north watching at 1 in the morning who couldn't name a Marlin player if his life depended on it.

Unless the fish do something noteworthy on the field, like say, win 10 in a row (Let's hope), they will remain an afterthought in the national baseball media's conscious, relegated to a story every now and again about abusing the arms of young pitchers, hiring a prehistoric skipper, Pudge-v-Beckett etc...

By the way, I'm sick of LeBetard and his drivel, too. I think he submits his stories in crayon to his editor. Not to mention the fact that you can practically smell the bias coming off his column. Fire up for Berardino at the Sentinel!!!

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
By the way, I'm sick of LeBetard and his drivel, too. I think he submits his stories in crayon to his editor. Not to mention the fact that you can practically smell the bias coming off his column. Fire up for Berardino at the Sentinel!!!
Amen to that.

Top Bottom