What's new

Does Fredi Not Believe in Bullpen Roles?

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why does choosing who will come into tight games late seem like such a random process with him? I understand we have had a lot of injuries, but we have not established any bullpen roles to this point. No setup man, no closer, nothing. He seems to be a bit too willing to bring our less sturdy relievers into close ballgames. I don't get it.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
From what I have noticed its...

7th - Pinto
8th- Lindstrom
9th - Gregg

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now should be with the trade:

6th - Pinto
7th - Lidstrom
8th - Benitez
9th - Gregg

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't Miller pitch recently in a close late game?
Why?

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't Linden pitch recently in a close late game?
Why?
Linden is not a pitcher... are you talking about Lindstrom?

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didn't Linden pitch recently in a close late game?
Why?
Linden is not a pitcher... are you talking about Lindstrom?
My mistake Holly. I corrected it to Miller. Still don't understand how he came into a close late game ahead of others.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
With how stacked the lineup is, I'm pretty much comfortable with Gregg in the 9th and everyone else whenever it's needed

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now should be with the trade:

6th - Pinto
7th - Lidstrom
8th - Benitez
9th - Gregg

7th- Lindstrom or Pinto depending on lefty/righty matchups
8th-Benitez or Owens.. whoever is rested/hot.
9th- Gregg

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I like

7th - Owens
8th - Benitez
9th - Gregg

of course u can switch things up also with Lindstrom and Pinto coming into the 7th.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Fredi drives me crazy with the way he uses his bullpen. I feel the team has suffered at times with his questionable moves. I hate the way he uses Lindstrom. I know Tank hasn't pitched well but he hasn't been able to adapt to any kind of role. Lets face it at an early review Fredi's management of his bullpen is his biggest opportunity

LK19

Muckdog
Reaction score
why do there have to be assigned roles? if you have enough talented arms like the team currently has you just use whoever is rested or is the best opposition for the batter due up. this isnt a problem or bad management its a tremendous asset that most other teams wish they had

Alex22

Muckdog
Reaction score
In my opinion the only real roles that need to be defined in the bullpen:

Closer
Setup Man
Lefty who can get guys out in tough situations.

Everyone else I think you pick and choose your spots. You cant just say 'This is my 6th inning guy, I will use only him in the 6th inning when I need the bullpen.'

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
With this many good arms, roles really mean nothing.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think the roles are pretty much defined right now. If our starters can get us far enough into games on a regular basis then they may become even more apparent. When you are working with a tired pen, as we have most of the season, it's hard to blame the rookie manager for misusing them.
But this also leads up to one of my pet peeves. I think the BP coach should be having alot more say on who comes in. He watches these guys warming up and he should have a good idea on who has their stuff and who dosen't. Granted warming up isn't the same as in-game but with a BP catcher that has been around our system and a BP coach that has gotten to know the guys I would prefer to see him get a little more say so in the decision. Pinto would be a great example of this. When he is on he is great. When he is off he is throwing batting practice out there. The Bull Pen Coach and the Bull Pen Coordinator (our new name for the catcher) have got to be able to see this. I don't think any team puts enough reliance on that coach.

LetsG0Fish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I like

7th - Owens
8th - Benitez
9th - Gregg

of course u can switch things up also with Lindstrom and Pinto coming into the 7th.

That's it right there! Maybe Miller in the 6th if our starter can't hang in there. We should save Pinto for long relief.

LordMagnus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I miss Chad Fox. Although his overuse that year probably destroyed the rest of his career.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
I miss Chad Fox. Although his overuse that year probably destroyed the rest of his career.
That was random

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score

Any thoughts on Tim Spooneybarger while you're at it?

Top Bottom