What's new

Donovan Staying At Florida

FishFanInPA

Billy Donovan, three days removed from leading Florida to a second consecutive national championship, will announce later Thursday that he will remain the Gators' coach and not make himself available to interview for the opening at SEC rival Kentucky.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Donovan met Thursday morning with Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley in Gainesville, Fla. The decision was made at that time that Donovan would stay on as coach.

A statement from Florida is forthcoming, sources said.

Donovan was the top choice of Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart to replace Tubby Smith, who left the program in March to coach Minnesota.

Donovan said Wednesday night he had not been contacted about the job. However, he acknowledged he would have to think about it if Kentucky reached out to him.

Speaking before a fundraising dinner at Marshall University, Donovan said he needed time to "decompress" following the Gators' national championship victory over Ohio State. An on-campus celebration for the Gators is scheduled at the O'Connell Center on Friday, and on Saturday, Donovan and his family will leave for vacation in the Dominican Republic.

MrWhite

Muckdog
Reaction score
wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Very good news. Can't wait to watch him coach the rest of the time I'm here in Gainesville.

However, our basketball stadium is named after a frickin' racist. Now that we know Donovan is sticking around for a while, perhaps it's time to name the stadium after him.

Seriously, though, with Donovan and Meyer, we're a bunch of frickin' spoiled brats at Florida now when it comes to sports.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's a great time for all in the Gator Nation. Those of you who are currently there, enjoy every moment of it. All Gators who have gone before you would love to be there now.
Class of 79

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's holding out for that Heat job :eek:

Reaction score
Atleast you are aware that Gators fans are a bunch of spoiled brats. :p

It wouldve been pure ego to leave the Gators and coach the Wildcats. I really think Donovan is gonna be a UF lifer unless the pros come calling and he is given a deal he cant refuse. I dont think that Donovan would leave to the NBA unless it was a great gig aka the Heat, Suns, Mavs etc.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's surprising that he didn't even talk to UK. I figured he'd end up at whatever place was willing to pay him more, but he didn't even hear UK out.

FishFan24

Muckdog
Reaction score
But Chewbacca will not and will test the waters as a backup in the NBA somewhere. Well thats still great for Donovan and UF.

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Big 4 announce they are going pro. I think Green should come back, personally (unless he somehow gets a 1st round guarantee). But good luck to those guys.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Big 4 announce they are going pro. I think Green should come back, personally (unless he somehow gets a 1st round guarantee). But good luck to those guys.
Green really can't improve his stock next year. It's time for them to move on I guess. Sure they could've gotten a threepeat, but they're value (except for Noah) is highest now than it will ever be and Florida has plenty of young freshman this year and recruits coming in next year who need to be given an opportunity to play.

The SEC is quite weak, so even with all the starters and our top bench player leaving, Florida can compete in the SEC next year.

JJ24

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Horford and Brewer made the right choice but im not so sure about Noah and Green. Noah lacks offensive ability and will get destroyed against almost every NBA C/PF. Another year wouldnt hurt either of them

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
Except Noah is getting old (as far as the NBA draft is concerned) so staying wouldnt help him much. Green, I don't know, unless he thinks he can't come back and not dribble off his feet to raise his stock a bit more, but he is a very good shooter.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Noah's stock will only go down, he needs to strike while the iron is hot. Its best for them all to go now.

Floridalion

Muckdog
Reaction score
What an awesome two years! I don't blame the Juniors for leaving school even Green. If he was to stay, the novice play of the others might drop his stock.

Can we get Joakim Noah on Dancing with the Stars?

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
What an awesome two years! I don't blame the Juniors for leaving school even Green. If he was to stay, the novice play of the others might drop his stock.
Well, they were all making the same decision about coming out. They are close and were either leaving or staying together. Horford and Brewer actually broke down in the press conference. I love the passion they had for the college game and each other. It'll be a long time before we see a group of players like the Florida juniors.

IrishHarrington

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think horford and brewer will have nice nba careers , noah and green i am not so sure

Top Bottom